TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does a "Real" Coaster need a lift hill

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a different opinion. Mine is basically the same as rcdb. As long as at some point in the ride, the car travels upwards itself, it is a coaster. It only gets problematic with butterflies and some log flumes. Also with powered coasters, since I also count those...

Personal guideline for me:

Must coast up a hill. However, this does make for some interesting results. Under this guideline:

Not a coaster

Any Fabbri BatFlyer

Any Powered Coaster

Any 1st Gen Drop Tower

Is a coaster

Pretzel Dark Rides

Dudley DooRight

Any Arrow that still has a dip (Kennywood is the only one I can think of)

I don't consider it a coaster if it doesn't have Dragonheart breathing fire on you as you go through the vertical loop. Therefore, I've only ridden four roller coasters, and all of them have been at the Wisconsin State Fair.

I've posted a list before of what is needed for something to be considered a coaster, but the gist of it is that:

• The car must coast through two changes in direction without the influence of forces other than friction or gravity
  • The car must coast without the influence of forces other than friction or gravity for at least 1/4 the track length

The second clause is designed to rule out rides such as Splash Mountain or Dudly Do-Right which are clearly not coasters. However, I will admit that the 1/4 is somewhat arbitrary.

There are also some rides which fit the definition which I don't count as coasters, such as an Intamin Half-Pipe, and some that don't fit the description, such as a 1st Gen Free-Fall, which I do.

For me it's a pretty generalized, common-sense type thing...I don't count powered coasters, but for anything else, I just think that the track/vehicle design has to bear some resemblence to a coaster. 1st gen freefalls, log flumes, etc., aren't really designed or marketed as coasters, so I don't count them even though some people do.

Personal guideline for me:

Must coast up a hill. However, this does make for some interesting results. Under this guideline:

Not a coaster

Any Fabbri BatFlyer

Any Powered Coaster

Any 1st Gen Drop Tower

Is a coaster

Pretzel Dark Rides

Dudley DooRight

Any Arrow that still has a dip (Kennywood is the only one I can think of)

what about Tilt a whirls?...some people count each tub as an individual coaster......some people will do anything to inflate their coaster count

launched.....yes IMO

powered...it depends, I classify thunder Run at PCW a coaster but not something like Smurf Mountain or a bayern curve.

JEFF

Heres my general rule...

If it was MADE to be a coaster, then it's a coaster. (except powered coasters)

So many things that obviously arn't coasters could very well end up being classified as them if you use ules like "if it's powered by gravity, and is on a track, then its a coaster." In that case, every swinging gondola on DCA's ferriswheel would be a seperate credit.

Try to find a way to logically explain why 1st gen intamin freefalls ARN'T coasters...

Exactly, you can't.

Isn't "powered coaster" an oxymoron anyway?

roller coaster

n.

1. A steep, sharply curving elevated railway with small open passenger cars that is operated at high speeds as a ride, especially in an amusement park.

I'd say S:TE fits that description.

In order to be a coaster:

The rolling stock must have wheels.

The rolling stock must go through at least two changes in elevation.

The rolling stock must be powered by gravity for at least 1/4 the ride.

Therefore these are NOT coasters:

Dudley DoRight

Dragon (at Canobie)

These ones are:

Superman: The Escape

Mack AquaCoasters

Alpine Slides

Intamin 1st-gen freefalls

Wait, then S&S launch towers would classify as coasters. No one's mentioned them yet, I think. They have wheels, they depend on gravity to pull them back down, and they launch up or down, which is a change in elevation, judjing by what you all are saying.

That being said, I think more classification would be needed.