TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Shows on TV

One of my all time favorites was "Amusement Parks: Behind the Fun" or something like that, it was a general overview of the theme park industry and covered BGW and Kennywood quite extensively. Although the show is now old, I have seen it re-air from time to time.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have a lot of VHS recordings of Coaster/Theme Park shows. That's one of the reasons that got me hooked on coasters. The one I have is called Thrills Chills and Spills, and one of my favorites on it is "Making of a Coaster" which they show the construction of Lightning Racer, and Steel Dragon 2000. The other shows on the tape was Scream Park, which they showed everything about SFMM. One of the oldest VHS tapes I have date back to 1995 or 1996 called Field Trip. It was basiclly one of those educational shows, and had Middle Schoolers at Kings Dominion learning about science/physics. The tape followed Kennywood Memories, and Wild Rides. I used to watch those on Friday nights as a kid. Good times....

^ Ive seen an educational kiddie show on PBS a LONG time ago where they were explaining how they bend steel and build rollercoasters. I believe the show highlighted Arrow and the construction of Viper at SFMM although it never mentioned either. I've seen pics of Vipers construction and I can compare the pics to the background and foreground, coaster pieces, etc... of the show IIRC as when I seen this show, I was a little kid.

and one of my favorites on it is "Making of a Coaster" which they show the construction of Lightning Racer, and Steel Dragon 2000

I was a non-speaking but riding extra for the filming of "Making of a Coaster".

We rode LR nearly 40 times during the shoot but what I remember most was speaking to and riding with Mike and Clair.

Awesome experience.

I agree with the topic starter that the thing I detest the most about any of the coaster shows is the enthusiast.

The "enthusiast" is usually some middle aged man who seems to have no life and has ridden whatever coaster that is being featured a million and a half times. It's like they are trying to out-do Paul Rueben.

I used to believe coaster shows were the best thing ever. I would watch them over and over. The Build it Bigger and Megastructures episodes are my current favorites. All others are kind of 'meh'.

Then I learned about this amazing site called Theme Park Review. Saved my life. Hallelujah!

^Your last statement was scarily true. Or it's the 8 year old girl who screams her little friggin head off!!

One of my favorites was Scream Parks! It was about Six Flags Magic Mountain and the opening of Goliath. It's amazing seeing the park with a totally different skyline, no Goliath, Deja Vu, X, Scream, or Tatsu. It's amazing how much the skyline of the park has changed in the last decade.

This is one of the ways I got around to knowing more about other parks since back when these specials started coming out everyone wasn't all over the internet getting information. The only bad things about them is when the same ride is featured in many specials, and when they get the most crazy people possible to talk about the rides (like the guy with the colored beard and hair for example). Can they not show any normal looking people so those watching the coaster shows don't think all who ride coasters are freaks? lol

I really hate it sometimes when they talk about a certain coaster...like firehawk at kings Island...lol. But I think if we (coaster enthusiasts) would make a show it would bored the General Public...that said, I still watch the shows and laugh and get annoyed at some of the things they say..

Can they not show any normal looking people so those watching the coaster shows don't think all who ride coasters are freaks?

I believe the policy is that they can only use the weirdos. There's also a policy that says only redneck hick trailer trash are allowed to witness tornados...

• 2 years later...

Just found this on the TV. I have not seen it before and it says 2012 so maybe it is going to be good.........

Also they have been rerunning all the older Disney specials. It is on Destination America and here is a link, there are future rebroadcasts of the program, just check it out.....

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/super-duper-thrill-rides/7617203

^Nope. El Toro.

I'm really Glad that we have two industry experts doing most of the talking instead of a narrator who is just reading the script. It gives better life to the show!

Yeah,unfortunately I got it wrong....I guess SFNE couldn't pay them enough to get on the show.I think it was produced in 06 since the employee in the ET clip says that it opened this year & the fact is that DA is a new network that discovery created for the purpose of airing their older programs from their other networks.

I was actually pretty disappointed with the show. It seemed "cheap" and low budget. Was it even offered in HD? The one I recorded was not, but maybe I missed it.

I miss when discovery/nat-geo actually made really high quality coaster shows. I just felt this one was a bit generic.

hehe. . turned on Destination America channel and they are showing a RollerCoaster show from 2002.

and it seems to be starring Elissa on a cross-country trip to ride roller-coasters!

I felt so "special" that I knew who the heck she was!

(could swear I saw Rob in some of the footage too, even tho it makes no mention of him, and she's traveling with her College buddy).

anyways.. too fun.

hehe. . turned on Destination America channel and they are showing a RollerCoaster show from 2002.

and it seems to be starring Elissa on a cross-country trip to ride roller-coasters!

I felt so "special" that I knew who the heck she was!

(could swear I saw Rob in some of the footage too, even tho it makes no mention of him, and she's traveling with her College buddy).

anyways.. too fun.

Don't think it was from 02 as a few rides featured debutted well after that time frame.Destination america is one of discovery's newer networks that basically airs all the old stuff from their channel lineup that we no longer see thanks to their marathons of just one "reality" show 24/7 these days.

Hi TPR.

This thread makes fascinating reading. I have a collection of officially-released VHSs and DVDs of various coaster/parks programmes both broadcasted, cinema released and enthusiast-produced. You're more than welcome to take a look at my library. Truth be told, not nearly enough TV programmes are offered for sale as DVD/VHS releases... but what are, are probably the best.

http://www.rollercoastermedialibrary.com

S.A.S. Baynham

I saw about 5 minutes of the show the other night. I turned on the TV to find Elissa talking about Expedition GeForce. Wasn't looking for the show, the TV just happened to be on the right station and I turned it on at the right time.

Don't think it was from 02 as a few rides featured debutted well after that time frame.Destination america is one of discovery's newer networks that basically airs all the old stuff from their channel lineup that we no longer see thanks to their marathons of just one "reality" show 24/7 these days.

there must have been more than one show with Elissa on it, since this one had the date of 2002 on it, and while they were at Knotts, it was prior to Xcellerator, SilverBullet, and Sierra Sidewinder.

the only coasters they went on at Knott's were: Jaguar, Montezooma's Revenge, and Ghostrider.

I'd assume they had already closed Windjammer (didn't that close 2001). . but who knows why they didn't show those. . but certainly they would have gone on Xcellerator, or SilverBullet if they were at Knotts at the time of filming?