TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Shows on TV

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's talking about the project as a whole. Are they still doing it? Or they just doing it on wooden coasters? Or will the steelies get thier moment to shine, as well, in thier own segment of it?

I'm pretty sure it was decided that it would just be the wooden coasters... something like the wooden coaster boom or something like that. I'm just waiting for them to do something at Great Adventure so I can get my 15 minutes Hell, screw 15 minutes, I'm looking for an NBC sitcom

Just a quick update!

The film is indeed about the renaissance of wood coaster and features three projects for 2006.

We filmed the main part of the programme in October visiting the three construction sites at SF Great Adventures, Beech Bend Park and Holiday World (where they very sweetly documented our trip on their blog http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2005/10/everyones-comedian-early-in-morning.html &

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2005/10/they-never-did-say-blimey.html).

We are currently completing the film in the edit, which is a rather lengthy process and our broadcast is due in the Spring first on Discovery UK and Canada and then the USA.

I’ll pass on any dates to Rob as soon as I have them.

Liz

[/url]

Thanks for the update...

Out of curiosity why is the US channel getting it later? Is it because for some reason every Discovery network in the US seems to be getting more and more crude? I honestly watch one show now... Mythbusters... Sadly I used to spend almost all my TV time with Discovery networks... BBCAmerica(any of the great BritComs and FakingIt), TLC(Junkyard Wars junkie, Full Metal Challenge)... I miss those days...

Anyway I can't wait for the dates... I'll set it up to record for sure.

I think TLC has gone down the hardest of all the Discovery network channels. It used to be a good channel with a few coaster related shows (ie. Secret World of Amusement Parks, and Coastermania). Now it's all reality shows.

Travel Channel has dipped a little bit too. There's a few reality shows, but I miss "Lonely Planet" (with the catchy theme song) and "The Tourist" (it was basically a comedy travel show). Now it has a handful of reality shows and World Poker Tour (it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the channel). Let's also not forget Ultimate Thrill, showcasing Paul Ruben and Vekoma SLC's

On Discovery, the only shows I regularly watch are Mythbusters, Extreme Engineering, and occasionally Monster Garage/Monster House.

To answer your question the film was commissioned as a co-production between Discovery UK and Canada, and this is the reason why it will be premiered in these countries first.

Liz

Ah thankyou... Somehow I didn't realize they operated quite that independently. Tell them that we love them for providing us with something different which is something Discovery US seems to have forgotten how to do.

Of course at least Discovery US is going to show it... I could use a break from the motor oil which seems to be the basis of 90% of the shows on the network now... I mean seriously I watch the occasional Extreme Engineering and every episode of Mythbusters... The only other show I got remotely involved in on Discovery was that Crab Fishing show...

To answer your question the film was commissioned as a co-production between Discovery UK and Canada, and this is the reason why it will be premiered in these countries first.

Liz

Ah thankyou... Somehow I didn't realize they operated quite that independently. Tell them that we love them for providing us with something different which is something Discovery US seems to have forgotten how to do.

Of course at least Discovery US is going to show it... I could use a break from the motor oil which seems to be the basis of 90% of the shows on the network now... I mean seriously I watch the occasional Extreme Engineering and every episode of Mythbusters... The only other show I got remotely involved in on Discovery was that Crab Fishing show...

The Deadliest Catch!

:shock: DUDE! :shock: That show was awesome!

In general, I hate reality shows, but I found this show emotionaly cathartic. I would be out of breath at the end of it. I was riveted!

Guy "I'm sure the coaster show will be equally enthralling." Koepp

Liz

It's very frustrating to try and find some of these listings, when most of the time, Discovery Channel advertises the US Listings thru general advertising, and nothing more.

PLEASE keep us informed here, and yes do give the dates to Robb and Elissa. Much appreciated.

I liked when it was like........

-The making of a coaster

-extreme rides (whatever year)

-top ten coaster (whatever year)

and usually any other shows like...

-thrill rides put to the test

-worlds largest theme park

-coasters of the west

-scream parks

that ever happened to those shows, they would always air on Memorial Day. After 2003 it was all re-runs

• 3 months later...

Well for one, is it the same guy for just about every show??

But my main rant is about the discription of some elements on the coasters. How is the roll over inversion on the Vekoma SLC called a cobra roll?? That made me laugh!! Wouldnt you think that the general public would understand a roll over more than a cobra roll if they see it? And there are other little missused terms and things i cant remember, but i just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about it.

Well for one, is it the same guy for just about every show??

But my main rant is about the discription of some elements on the coasters. How is the roll over inversion on the Vekoma SLC called a cobra roll?? That made me laugh!! Wouldnt you think that the general public would understand a roll over more than a cobra roll if they see it? And there are other little missused terms and things i cant remember, but i just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about it.

There was a special with Mind Eraser. The girl doing the ride through was saying stuff like, "now we're going through like.....a corkscrew like thing...like...."

Or when they were talking about inverted coasters:

"This is an inveted coaster. Which means you ride upside down."

Like I say, if they are going to put information out there, they should make sure it's correct.

Yea now Paul Ruben is one who i think for a person that should know coasters, has no more knowledge than me or anyone on here! I agree with spidey that if the information is out there to attract people to a certaint park, then make sure that its correct!

I mean we all can admit that at one time we didnt know more than a foriegner would know english! But i guess its just something to laugh about. Like a doctor laughing at some one who would say tiny knife instead of scaple!!

I have a few of those "America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills" videos, the first of which being in "3-D" along with "World's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills"...the narrator tends to be a BIT more accurate in the stats and elements of the coasters, but still tends to give out some real groaners in his dialouge...

From "America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills 2":

"Take a ride on the Mantis, and start praying!" >_<

Hi everybody!

I was wondering. In Belgium we cannot see the Travel Channel Show? There are so many park and coaster related show I have to miss. Does anybody have an idea where I could get them on video or DVD? Ebay wasn’t really helping. Didn’t find a lot there.

Any ideas, let me know.

thanX in advance

Thanx for the info, but both are not offering any on theme parks at the moment. I hear about a lot of show they air, but nothing on DVD...

I noticed they do not get taped and sold because of copyright issues.... I hoped somebody would have collected them...