TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem like a very smart ploy to give it a strange name to coincidently stir up buzz about it.

I've had several friends bring up in conversations, "Have you heard the official name for Nintendo's new game machine? Isn't it ridiculous?"

I, personally, hate the name "Wii" but that's not going to stop me from buying one. I'll keep referring to it as "Revolution", though.

I, personally, hate the name "Wii" but that's not going to stop me from buying one.

EXACTLY!

I don't hate the name, I don't really like it either, although I like it better than the Dolphin.

Revolution was just fine, but I guess it didn't end in a "e" sound.

X-box 360....eeee

PS3.....eeee

Nintendo Wii....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

pretty much^

the d-pad and a button are you recievers, and the controller is the ball. The harder you throw it, the more of a bullet pass it will be. YOu snap up the controller to hike, and swing your arm forward to kick (as if your arm was your foot).

Moving is dont by the joystick in the nunchaku attachment, and juking is handled the nunchaku's acceloremeter (it was never offically announced, but it's common knowledge its there). twitch left to juke left, right for right.

sounds cool to me!

Blitz the League was just announced recently, too!

What about the pump fake?

You hold down the b-button (I think it's b?) and still throw your controller, as if to pass, but you wont throw the ball.

In case your playing with a friend, to "fake" them out.

Pretty cool, it's Wiilisious!!

P All " I said, Pump!!"

You hold down the b-button (I think it's b?) and still throw your controller

WOW, I throw my Xbox controller all the time, are you telling me now with Nintendo's new machine it could actually help me WIN a game?

I just may have to go out and get one of these when they come out. I won't be a first day purchaser though, but when I finally go to Best Buy and find one, I'll pick it up. Of course, Nintendo is usually much better about supply and demand than Sony or Microsoft. I got a Gamecube like a week after it came out with just casually strolling into the store to pick one up.

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go!!

Nintendo today confirmed that the price of the Wii system will not exceed $250 in America, or 25,000 yen in Japan. The company plans to ship 6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007.

Hmmmm, who was it that said the Wii was gonna be $250. when certain other people said it would be much less?? 8)

Oh Yeah,

It was me!!

Ok

$249.89 at the lowest.

Here ya go!!

Nintendo today confirmed that the price of the Wii system will not exceed $250 in America, or 25,000 yen in Japan. The company plans to ship 6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007.

Hmmmm, who was it that said the Wii was gonna be $250. when certain other people said it would be much less?? 8)

Oh Yeah,

It was me!!

Ok

$249.89 at the lowest.

dude, it says EXCEED. in other words, it may be 250 or LESS. In no way is that confirmation of your argument. Pretty much everyone guessed it'll be less then 300...

^ except you!

Are you kidding? I'd be very surprised if it's even 200! Developers estimated the price at 100-150!

But I think overall we can all agree that 199 seems to be the most realistic price...

Obviously we all knew it was gonna be under $300.00 since Nintendo pretty much came right out and said it.

I don't know why we're arguing over $50.00 anyway. Can't we all just get along??

Wii will see in a few short months that I was right and I wont hold it against you.

P All "$249.89 does not EXCEED $250.00"

• 1 month later...

im not sure but i found all this

Approximately the size of three stacked DVD cases, Wii's elegant design makes it an inviting addition to your entertainment setup without monopolizing it. Thanks to the Wii Remote, you're given more freedom to place the console where it best suits your lifestyle.

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the "sleepless" WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

Français | Español

© 2006 Nintendo. Game trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners. TM and the Wii logo are trademarks of Nintendo. Nintendo of America Inc. Headquarters are in Redmond, Washington.

I still to this day have no idea why they changed the name of the Revolution to Wii. Just had to add that.

I don't know if I like this whole new style control(ler) system and think it may turn away casual gamers that think it looks too difficult even if it is very easy. Props to them for trying something different.

Nintendo always puts out a quality product but they have been losing pace to the other 2 companies as far as new hit game titles go. They can only rely on Mario to carry them so far anymore. He's getting old and his back hurts in his old age.

I'll be happy with my PS3. I'm not a big gamer but I'll pay a hundred or two more for BluRay DVD disc capability. To me, that alone spells game over for Nintendo and Microsoft. Get a PS3 and you dont need to buy a seperate BluRay DVD player for your home which would be $150-$400 alone.

I really think both Nintendo and XBOX missed the boat by not making their systems BluRay DVD compatible. BluRay DVDs are already catching on and will be hot sellers by this Christmas. Hell, I may buy my PS3 to watch my new Hi-Def BluRay DVDs on if there isn't anything decent game wise for the launch.

I'll be happy with my PS3. I'm not a big gamer but I'll pay a hundred or two more for BluRay DVD disc capability. To me, that alone spells game over for Nintendo and Microsoft. Get a PS3 and you dont need to buy a seperate BluRay DVD player for your home which would be $150-$400 alone.

I really think both Nintendo and XBOX missed the boat by not making their systems BluRay DVD compatible. BluRay DVDs are already catching on and will be hot sellers by this Christmas. Hell, I may buy my PS3 to watch my new Hi-Def BluRay DVDs on if there isn't anything decent game wise for the launch.

So you're willing to fork over $600 so you can watch a video format which could completely fail? The whole HD-DVD vs. BluRay thing could tip either way, and one is going to lose out. I'm not willing to work over half a thousand dollars into a system that could be dead in a few years (see Betamax, Divx, etc).

Besides, most people don't have the HDTV television to even notice the increase in quality.

i think that nintendo's idea with the interactive controller or whatever you call it isnt going to be that good. people want to sit on their couch and play a game, not wave their arms all over the place and look like an idiot... and, the graphics look as good as the ps2's graphics now.