TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

Well I got a question for you all.... have any of you made your own sensor bar? I decided to make my own just for fun and am wondering if I should make a photo report of it...... although its impossible to find infrared LEDs. Anyways I probably gonna put some pics of my struggle to make it I like small boys in tights.

Uhm.. have "fun" with that.

Can't you just use the lights from a remote for your lights?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got a question for you all.... have any of you made your own sensor bar? I decided to make my own just for fun and am wondering if I should make a photo report of it...... although its impossible to find infrared LEDs. Anyways I probably gonna put some pics of my struggle to make it I like small boys in tights.

Uhm.. have "fun" with that.

Can't you just use the lights from a remote for your lights?

Well as far as I know the sensor bar just a bunch of infrared LEDs so I decided to make one 12 LEDs (6 for each side) an on off switch and then finally an extra LED to tell me whether its on or off. I mean I don't really need it, but I wanna make it just because I can. The best part is if I figure out how to get this to work I can get 18 LEDs (9 for each side) making it so I could use it farther away from the TV. Finally the other use is that I can make them really really far apart or really really close if I wanted to. Although I am still trying to figure out how I am going to put it all together I just thought it would be something fun to do in my free time...... also wanted to see if anyone else had made one and how they designed it.

^The original has 10. Two sides, but 5 LEDs on each side.

I would venture a guess that the Wiimote sees it simply as two blocks of light rather than individual LEDs, so I doubt adding a few would hurt too much unless they're placed close enough together that the blocks of light overlap.

That having been said, I don't see any reason for adding more...I mean, yeah, theoretically it could allow operation from further away...but how far away do you need to be? A custom wireless Wiimote with (I'm assuming, and I could be wrong) the same number of LEDs was used in the Wii's operation in a movie theater with no problems. I'd wager they were playing from further than anyone will be in their own home...

I know the movie theater video you are talking about and those block sensor bars were huge. The reason I want more distance is because 1. this may go 10-15 feet but once you get close the the limit it doesn't work that well and at my grampa's house I cant be across the room using it so more distance=better 2. Also I can move the lights closer and further which can help with use at a short distance too..... anyways I created a topic for my making of the sensor bar cause I thought it would be better as its own topic so any other custom sensor bar talk would make more sense there I would think..

edit: the video is here

in it the people are playing like 5 feet away from the sensor bar, and they are playing a game that dosnt really require full use of the sensor bar I am talking about games like red steel or..... well thats all I can think of now.

So not very happy with Nintendo right now because I just heard that they pushed Mario Party 8 to August. Well I guess that gives me time to track down 2 more controllers. Oh yeah I just got Rapala Fishing and that game is so much fun.

So what Nintendo ends up there own games more than 50% of the time, but pretty much everytime it has been more than worth it. Example; Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was delayed more than two years, but we all know how it turned out...

Besides this isn't PS3, there are actually games out for it.

but For me getting Wii has been like getting two systems since I never got a Cube and I actually have twice as many Cube games right now (plus they are cheap but still).

Since the ps3 finally launched in Europe this weekend, I went to some local stores yesterday and took a look at it. I found stacks of it everywhere and didn't see anyone buy it while I was there.

On the other hand, it's still hard over here to get a wii. They're sold out everywhere.

So I think people over here like a funny gameplay a lot more than better graphics, too.

Here is what I found concenring the PS3. At the present time it is more of the same as the PS2 the only difference is that the graphics have been revamped and the other "must have" games available for it are already available/coming to a system thats $200 cheaper. There are of course 1 or 2 exceptions to this at the present time. As for the Wii it is soemthing different. Sure the graphics aren't as great as the 360 or PS3 who really cares besides graphics whores? So untill Sony gets off their butts and makes some major changes that make consumers stop and look at the PS3. I highly doubt they will even remotely reach the level of success that they are aiming for.

Here is what I found concenring the PS3. At the present time it is more of the same as the PS2 the only difference is that the graphics have been revamped and the other "must have" games available for it are already available/coming to a system thats $200 cheaper. There are of course 1 or 2 exceptions to this at the present time. As for the Wii it is soemthing different. Sure the graphics aren't as great as the 360 or PS3 who really cares besides graphics whores? So untill Sony gets off their butts and makes some major changes that make consumers stop and look at the PS3. I highly doubt they will even remotely reach the level of success that they are aiming for.

I think we can expect to see more and more of those 'exclusive' PS3 titles going mulitplatform due to rising development costs. The announcement of Devil May Cry 4 coming to the 360 and PC was big but imagine if Sony lost either Metal Gear Solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII? This generation is all about offering something that the other two systems don't have (and isn't software). The Wii has motion sensing, the 360 has Xbox Live and major PC connectivity (and later this year IPTV), and the PS3 has Blu-Ray. The question is whether or not Blu-Ray will be enough to sell the system (and it's currently looking like it isn't). I've had a 360 and Wii since their respective launches and I eventually plan on getting a PS3 once there is a significant price-drop. Currently it's just not worth getting because there aren't enough games that would warrant a purchase. Of course, I could say the same thing about the Wii. Other than Twilight Princess there really hasn't been a 'must have' game for the system. There have been some interesting titles but nothing that really grabs my attention. Thankfully Super Paper Mario comes out in a few weeks and that should keep me occupied for quite awhile.

The question is whether or not Blu-Ray will be enough to sell the system (and it's currently looking like it isn't).

Heh, that reminds me, my friend bought a PS3 just because it saves about $400 dollars on Blu-Ray. He also believed that it turns normal DVDs into Blu-Rays. And he thought that video games could be done with Powerpoint. But what does he know?

^If you want "In Depth" games, get Zelda and SSX Blur. (People seem to critisize the Wii for being mainly shallow party games that only last 5 minutes tops.) Still haven't gotten past the first peak yet and there's a steep learning curve, yet family members will still enjoy it.

To date, here's my list of Wii games. I'll put a "*" next to the ones with more depth:

SSX Blur*

Wii Sports (Duh)

Metal Slug Anthology*

Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (Great party game...especially darts!)* (1 player...havent gotten past the 3rd world yet...it's hard!)

Excite Truck*

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Cars*

Zelda: Twilight Princess*, and

Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

And no virtual console games yet.

Anyone get Red Steel this past week? Best Buy had it on sale the past few weeks for $30. I finally made the move and bought it and outside of all the poor reviews/frustrations, I actually enjoy the game right down to the controls. To me, it feels much more natural than using a dual joy stick as I can respond quicker than an analog stick, and stop on a target immediately. If you've got $30 to kill, I'd go ahead and get this.

SSX Blur, however, is confusing, complicated and usually frustrating. I can never land a single trick.

I learned that pressing the A button after doing my tricks does an "Auto-Align" to your boarder so you can do some nice clean landings. I have not mastered the Ubers yet though.

Nintendo, if you don't up production soon, I'll be getting a 360 Elite instead.

ALMOST got one yesterday. The EB at my work had them a few hours before I walked in.

Now I probably wont EVER get a Wii until like, 2008 or 2009.

NINTENDO!