TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, screw all these Saturday night/sunday morning lines for a Wii. With the spring semester in full swing, I no longer have the time to justify playing games. However, when the black wiii comes out, I will be all over that like....(insert creative analogy here)

As much as I don't want to promote Fanboyism and flaming console, I found an article, that Sony claims the Wii as in impulse purchase (In other words, buying it on first site, with no intentions...like just randomly purchasing it because it was sitting on the shelf and you had no previous intentions on getting it...) so anyway, I'd like to find out how it's an 'impulse purchase' when the Wii's haven't been on the shelves long enough for some random Joe to say "hey, let's buy this, though I have no clue what it is!" I wouldn't claim seeing adverts for Wii and wanting to get it an impulse purchase as you already have plans on getting it. The article can be found here.

Sounds like Sony's getting jealous to me...

Mine was a impulse buy. I saw that wal-mart was going to release all the wiis they saved up last sunday and decided to head up at midnight to see if they had one... really wasn't intrested before knowing i could get one by just going down the street and picking it up.

Once again, I have a question. My friend and I are debating whether or not Japanese Wiis can only play japanese games, or if American Wiis can only play american games. Can somebody clear this up for us? Thanks!
Wiis games are region locked, as are the Virtual Console games.

^ I disagree.

While you do unlock the different playable "levels", if you will, rather quickly, the game is technically never "beaten" in my eyes. That's the fun behind minigames! You will alway have a "high score" to beat. I can play all day, trying to beat my high scores, especially on levels such as "sudden death" or "super hard".

-Jahan

^ Yeah, exactly. You never really "beat" it...because even though after you've completed all the characters story sections the first time through, you still keep getting new mini games, or variations of them as you keep playing.

--Robb

Japan: Wii Outsells PS3 Four to One

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4685&Itemid=2

Media Create says, during the week of Jan. 22-28, sales of PS2 hit 21,000 units, while PlayStation 3 came in at 20,000. In comparison, Wii sold over 80,000 units. Xbox 360 sold just over 7,000.

Monthly stats for Wii had it outselling PS3 by three to one. Nintendo sold over 400,000 Wii units last month, compared with around 150,000 PS3 units.

Since launch, Nintendo has sold a total 1.4 million units of Wii in Japan, compared with 614,000 units of PS3.

I guess those Japanese people must have all had impulse purchases as well. Pretty successfull though on the serious side. I'm glad people are smart enough to realize that better graphics doesn't make a better game...or they just see 'its cheaper, so I buy.' And a random note that has nothing to do with the topic: My lizard's singing...

^^ Aren't the japanese the people so gung ho over the Playstation systems too?

Yeah, from what I understand, the Japanese are fiercely loyal to Japanese companies (which is why the 360 sells so bad there).

And also why Capcom publishes the GTA games in Japan (its still a Rockstar game, but Capcom has the rights to distribute it out in Japan).

Anybody hear of Manhunt 2? It looks like Rockstar now has a soft spot for the Wii...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/761/761795p1.html

Hmm, looks like developers are droppling like flies from Sony.

Not sure how buying a Wii could be an Impulse buy since you really can't see them in the store.

Isn't the definition of an Impulse buy something you see in the store, don't really need or want, but buy anyway???

Like today, I'm in Target getting Poster Board for a project for Amanda ... and I end up buying a new DVD player for our bedroom. Wasn't planning on it, but our old one was on the fritz ... for 3 months. We were doing just fine without it, but ... the IMPULSE just hit me.

Not sure how buying a Wii could be an Impulse buy since you really can't see them in the store.

Isn't the definition of an Impulse buy something you see in the store, don't really need or want, but buy anyway???

Like today, I'm in Target getting Poster Board for a project for Amanda ... and I end up buying a new DVD player for our bedroom. Wasn't planning on it, but our old one was on the fritz ... for 3 months. We were doing just fine without it, but ... the IMPULSE just hit me.

Exactly...or the time I went and bought my Gamecube...my cousin randomly buys her and my brother a GBA. They never planned on it. You kinda have to plan on getting the Wii inorder to snag one as they're hard to come by...On the other hand, the PS3 would definitely qualify as an impulse buy as they're just sitting there readily available.

Today, my straps finally came in, all 4. These strings are quite beefy so I just switched them over...and used my old straps on my cell phone and my DS, mainly as a last thing to grab in the event that one of these slips from my hand...kinda like getting the cat by the tail.

YES! It's my B-DAY! I finally get my WII today!

Too bad i've been working on a Civil Engineering Lab all day and still have hours to go on it, and a exam today and class from 11:00am to 8pm

So i'll have to wait until Friday to actually play it! I can't wait.

I can't wait until the Wii catches up with XBox360 and takes over the market share!

With the 3rd Party support increasing like it is, Nintendo is so going to being the leader again!

BTW...lets not forget about the DS which sold 700,000 units last month! (compare to PSP's 230,000)

Eww, civil engineering...that's where the dumb engineers go! Lol, thats what my mechanical engineering professor told all those double majoring or minoring in civil...yes I was one of them.

Any who...I got Rayman a few weeks ago and I wish I had someone to play it with. I won't let my roommate play as he thought he would get half ownership over it if he put money into an extra wiimote...dumb ass!