TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got the new colors already? I haven't had them come in yet, I'm still deciding whether to trade to black or not. My case and all my accessories are white, but they would go with black too, right?:wink:

Check this out though....

"Hot on the heels of the PlayStation 3 delay in Europe, reports indicate that launch numbers in North America and Europe will be smaller than Sony originally indicated. In North America about 400,000 PS3 units will be available during the November 17th launch, and in Japan, only 100,000 consoles will be available when the system launches on November 11th.

Originally Sony planned to have four million PlayStation 3 consoles shipped by the end of the year, and now Sony believes that number will be cut to two million. A problem with the production of the Blu-ray player is the cause for the shortage.

"We've been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the delay is inevitable," stated Sony's Kaz Hirai.

Mass production of the PS3 is expected to begin at the end of this month."

Hah Hah!!

You see if they weren't too busy ripping off Nintendo, they could have gotten their sht correct. A problem with the production of the Blu-ray player ??

Isn't the Blu-ray format what they're bankin' on??

They've only been working on it for years, they better get it straight, Mario's commin' for 'em. It's time to poop or get off the pot, yah mean!!

Well, after finally buying a DS Lite (white), I can say that for sure my money will go to the Wii. I absolutely adore my DS (and Animal Crossing!), and it's just the new handheld system! Besides, with Super Mario Galaxy, the new Zelda title, and a new SSB, it has to own. I am even more excited about this than I was, and I pray to God they release it soon!!!

Nintendo gets Wii ready for holidays

Company plans to put console on market Nov. 19

By SETH SCHIESEL

THE NEW YORK TIMES

In a move that may allow Nintendo of Japan to take advantage of stumbles by its main rival, the company plans to announce today that it will release its new Wii video-game console in North and South America on Nov. 19, just as the holiday shopping season begins, and that the machine will cost $250 in the United States.

Nintendo executives said this week that the company also would announce today that more than 25 new games would be available for its video-game machine this year, a substantial portfolio from several genres that is intended to help the company broaden the appeal of its console. The company plans to ship 4 million of the Wii consoles worldwide this year.

Nintendo also will explain today a plan to expand the video-game market beyond its core of young men.

Today's announcement comes as Nintendo's main rival, Sony, has been forced to delay and scale back the introduction of its own game machine, the PlayStation 3, at least twice amid serious troubles with that company's new Blu-ray Disc technology.

Last week, Sony said that the PlayStation 3 would not be introduced in Europe until 2007 and that it would ship millions fewer units worldwide this year than it had promised. The top version of the PlayStation 3 is expected to cost around $600.

Another competitor, Microsoft, has sold more than 5 million of the Xbox 360 game console since its introduction in 2005 and hopes to sell more than 10 million by year's end.

Nintendo's Wii (pronounced we) is less technically ambitious than Sony's PS3, which is why it will cost far less and be far more available in stores this holiday season. To market the Wii, Nintendo hopes to make up in innovation and accessibility what the machine lacks in sheer silicon horsepower.

Nintendo is No. 3 in the console video game market, behind Sony and Microsoft. But while those competitors have largely focused on appealing to hard-core gamers, Nintendo is now trying to appeal to a broader audience.

"Our goal is to bring gaming back to the masses," Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, said in a telephone interview. "You see that in our pricing, you see that in the number of units we plan to make available this year and you see that in how we are positioning the Wii to appeal to every member of the household, including but not limited to the hard-core gamer."

The Wii's major innovation is a wireless controller that the user can tilt and point to produce action on the screen. In a sword-fighting game, for instance, the player can simply swing the controller to thrust and parry with an on-screen blade; there is no need to master the complicated combinations of buttons and triggers that make many video games so intimidating to the reflex-challenged.

Nintendo intends to announce today that every Wii will come with a game compilation called Wii Sports -- including tennis, golf, baseball and bowling -- meant to show off the machine's intuitive controls. (Most consoles, including Nintendo's GameCube, do not come with games included.)

Nintendo plans to announce that 25 to 30 top-tier games will be available for the Wii this year. The most-anticipated game comes from Nintendo itself: an installment of the long-running "Legend of Zelda" series, "Twilight Princess."

Nintendo also will deliver a driving game called "Excite Truck" this year but will likely provide a minor disappointment to gamers in saying the next version of the popular "Mario" franchise will not arrive until 2007.

Nintendo intends to charge $50 for its Wii games, $10 less than the standard price for Xbox 360 titles and the same price generally charged for GameCube games.

Top games expected to be introduced for the Wii this year from third-party publishers include a version of "Madden NFL" from Electronic Arts, the sword-fighting game "Red Steel" from Ubisoft of France, an addition to the "Sonic" action series from Sega of Japan and a "Tony Hawk" action-sports game from Activision.

While Nintendo is certainly counting on the success of top-tier games sold at retail, many gamers may be at least as excited by the Wii's Virtual Console, which will allow players to download versions of older Nintendo games from the Internet.

Nintendo plans to announce today that about 30 classic games will be available for download when the Wii is released, including ones from the "Zelda," "Mario" and "Donkey Kong" franchises. Downloadable games will cost about $5 to $10 each.

More broadly, Nintendo hopes to make the Wii a living-room centerpiece by including various media channels meant to appeal to and draw in people who do not consider themselves gamers.

There will be a photo channel that will allow users to use the Wii to display digital photographs on television.

There also will be an easy-to-use interactive news channel and weather channel.

Perhaps most intriguing, the Wii will make it possible to browse the Web on the television. Microsoft's Xbox 360 does not permit this because that could negate the need to buy a Windows PC.

"We are including all of these capabilities as part of our overall strategy to expand the gaming market," Fils-Aime said. "Broadening the market is important because it will breathe new life into this business. Otherwise, this industry is moving down a path of being more and more limited to the hard-core gamer."

Nintendo today held Wii preview events in Japan, North America, and Europe to announce a number of remaining details concerning the launch of their new hardware – Wii. While we didn’t know specific launch information or pricing, today the company revealed both pieces of that puzzle. Wii will launch in North America on November 19th for $249.99. Surprisingly, Wii will be launched in Japan later, on December 2nd.

So what’s in the box? For $250 users will receive a Wii console, 1 Wii remote with strap, 1 nunchuck controller, AV cable, Wii console stand, sensor bar, sensor bar stand, and two AA batteries. While pack-ins haven’t been included with the launch of Nintendo systems for decades – since the SNES launched with Super Mario World - The Wii will be packaged with Wii Sports included.

Nintendo announced that they plan to ship four million Wii consoles to retail worldwide by the end of 2006 with the majority of the hardware coming to North America (percentages were not revealed). Gamers will be able to pick up the console at launch at 25,000 retail locations. 25 first and third party titles will be available during the launch window, about half on launch day. Pricing on first party titles will be $50, and Nintendo is urging third parties to keep game prices at the same price point.

For those planning on playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on their GameCubes, you'll have to wait. The GameCube version will be released on December 11th.

While many hoped that Metroid Prime 3 Corruption would be a launch title, Nintendo revealed that the game has slipped to 2007. First party Launch titles will include The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck. Pokemon Battle Revolution will be the only title that will have online multiplayer, and will be available sometime after launch.

Third party games that will be available at launch will include Madden 07, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam, Call of Duty 3, Elebits, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Need For Speed: Carbon, and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

For those who own widescreen televisions, all Nintendo first party titles will support a widescreen option. For third party titles, Nintendo is encouraging developers to support it as well.

The E3 version of Wii Sports included Tennis, Golf, and Baseball, but today Nintendo debuted bowling and boxing as editions to the Wii Sports roster.

Extra Wii remotes will cost $39.99 and nunchuck controllers will cost $19.99.

Virtual Console titles will cost around the same price as Xbox Live Arcade titles - $5 - $10. NES Thirty titles will be able to be downloaded at launch including such fan favorites as Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda. All Virtual Console elements will be payable with Wii Points, which are basically a penny a point, with 2000 Wii points costing $20.00. Wii Points can be purchased at either retail stores or online. NES titles will start at 500 Wii Points, SNES 800 points, and N64 titles 1000 points. Nintendo plans to have ten classic titles released per month.

Also, while Nintendo 64 and GameCube owners suffered from sparse first party software releases, and a dismal final console year lacking software at all, Nintendo promises to change that with Wii. The company promises to have something continually released on a more frequent basis than previous consoles.

While GameCube and GBA connectivity was a flop, Nintendo does plan on having some sort of Nintendo DS and Wii connectivity. However, the company hasn't released any details or games that will work with it.

After the press conference ended, the gameplay session began. With the popularity of the Big Brain/Brain Training series, Nintendo has decided to bring Big Brain Academy over to the Wii, and this version will include all new puzzles. New builds of Wario Ware are playable, yet Zelda seems to only include the fishing mini-game that was playable at E3.

-Billy Berghammer

What was that price? Mr DragonKhan? $249.99? 8)

I was off by a dime

Ok

$249.89 at the lowest.

Anyway.

But no Super Mario Galaxy, or Metroid 'till 2007

And no LoZTP for the Cube, yet, that's even more reason to get a Wii.

Here's a little article about Wii channels .

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200609/N06.0914.1021.06322.htm

Wiiiiiiiiiii

November 19th is a Sunday???

That is the only thing fishy about this article, everything else seems quite legit.

DS Lite was released on a Sunday (June 11), so it's legit.

Gamecube was also released on a Sunday as well.

I think they release it on a weekend so people who want to camp out or stand in line early at the store to get the system can do so without missing work or school. I remember on the night before Gamecube's launch I was coming home from a party that ended at around midnight and drove by Best Buy. It was around 40 degrees out and there were people in sleeping bags camped out in line. I got to Toys R Us at 9:50 a.m. (opened at 10 a.m.) and was #26 in line and got the system no problem

I'm a little worried, I just watched some videos of the Mii channel on the Wii site.

http://www.wii.com/en_US/

When you view them you can see that the Wii-mote is not really aimed where it's pointer is. I heard something like that around E3 time, that you are really aiming the Wii-mote at the sensor bar (when pointing) and not the TV. This seems like what is happening. I don't really think it's a problem for most stuff, but for FPS like Red Steel and Metroid, I think it might. I don't know, I do know I am still getting one, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I can't wait to make my cartoony self on my Wii, he will be pretty lonely in there.

P All "very lonely"

What was that price? Mr DragonKhan? $249.99? 8)

I was off by a dime

Ok

$249.89 at the lowest.

Hey, free game included. I didn't take that into account

Also, in Japan Wii Sports is not included and it costs just a little over 200 bucks

I'm just saying. Saying 249.89 at the lowest was a risky bet...

^ Me too.

In fact I've never owned a console (only hand-helds), but I'm really looking forward to the Wii. Even just Animal Crossing and WarioWare will be awesome, everything else is just a bonus.

Aside from the controller, I really like the 'always on' feature in the Wii. I read an article where it was hinted that you'll be able to email other people in Animal Crossing, and maybe even visit their towns while they're not around ... leave notes and surprises and stuff. So cool..

Cameron.

I cant wait for Wii, it has so much going for it. Im pretty sure Nintendo will achieve their goal of Wii just becoming "another household appliance" or something like it, just something that will be needed around the house and used on a daily basis for just about any function. I mean, why would i need a computer really with a Wii? I can come on TPR through Opera and what not. I can check weather, news, interact with people, etc, everything. Im thinking Nintendo might just come out on top here. (even if their priorities COMPLETELY took a 180 in a very short time lol. Back with Gamecube and before, they were "all about gaming, its all about gaming", with Wii its more like "all about overal functionality for just about anything" lol )

Wii sounds good to me, and the price is even better. Now I know what I'll be doing Thanksgiving weekend!

Sadly, like most games for a new Nintendo Console, most of the most anticipated won't be out until after the holidays, but if Zelda comes out, I'll be one happy camper (and forget actually CAMPING out waiting for the system!)