TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

^The new controller will most likely be a success, a perfect example is the DS.

I too, don't think the BlueRay format is a good idea. I heard somewhere that BlueRay discs can only work for the first system they are played in, so borrowing or buying used games isn't possible, is this true???

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

It's possible BluRay can flop. Like Wes said... You will need a hi-def tv plus a high quality sound system to get the full expeience of all that extra media on a BluRay disc. Most won't have a hi-def tv or not care if their picture on the screen was crisper. Many may just end up being content with what they got on their regular non-hi def televisions right now.

For me, I want the extra clarity on the screen and in the audio. I take my TV/movie watching to the upmost. Many people may not which could prove to be a potential problem for BluRay formated games/DVDs.

^^ Because there's a competing format out there, HD-DVD. The same thing happened to Sony in the 80's, they released betamax tapes, which were in competition with VHS. VHS won out, and betamax became obsolete.

Since so many people got burned by that, consumers are very wary about investing their money into a format that might not be around.

The reason why DVD was such a huge success was because it was the ONLY format out there, and pretty much every major studio and computer company supported it.

But yeah, everyone I've talked to about PS3 thinks it's too expensive.

Because there's a competing format out there, HD-DVD

Yeah, that too. But if the PS3 takes off like Russian space rocket (not the American space shuttle) then its game over for HD DVD. Probably.

But yeah, everyone I've talked to about PS3 thinks it's too expensive.

I remember hearing that same thing before the PS2 launch. But yes, this unit is a tad over priced for the next gen consoles. I still think many will find a way to pay the $600 for it and make Sony the new ruler of the cosmos.

I thought this was the Wii thread. Stop talking about PS3

jk.

I don't really care for the PS3.

I'm more concerned about the Wii. I don't really care about how goo the graphics are on the Wii either. I just care about Mario. And the next generation of controls. I think how they approched this whole, movement combining the controller etc thing was BRILLIANT. It'll also give those crazy Nazi [sarcasm] parents that think there kids are too fat because they play to much video games, off there asses. Also, it will please those crazy health nuts.

Its like DDR. The game that gets you off your ass and up and exercising.

umm, you dont get off your ass and exercise, you just move your arms around and look like an idiot...

also, dont forget that the ps3 also has a montion sensing functing on its controller. it is not as complex as the Wii's, but it looks really cool for flying games and such...

...also, dont forget that the ps3 also has a montion sensing functing on its controller. it is not as complex as the Wii's, but it looks really cool for flying games and such...

You mean the motion sensing function they stole from the GBA SP and added right after Nintendo showed the Wii control so they would look innovative and creative?

lol. no, i mean the motion sensing function that they were developing that is completely different from the Wii's one... the idea might have been gotten from Ninntendo, but thats how innovation works. just like how sony started the dual analog stick idea with the ps1, and then microsoft and nintendo 'copied' it with the gamecube and the xbox...

umm, you dont get off your ass and exercise, you just move your arms around and look like an idiot...

also, dont forget that the ps3 also has a montion sensing functing on its controller. it is not as complex as the Wii's, but it looks really cool for flying games and such...

Well, you still get off your ass and move around. Which burns a $hitload of a lot more calories than sitting ON your ass.

Wow.

I'm getting really excited about this. I may actually get a baseball game because it will actually feel like I'm playing baseball. Or, I may actually get a golf game because it will feel like I'm playing golf. Simply playing with a controller doesn't have the realism for me. I'd rather just play the real game.

Until this. The controller is so cool. It will make many games much more interesting. I could easily see a sword fighting game (like the one in the arcade) coming for the Wii. There are unlimited possibilities for this, and I hope that Nintendo will have a good run with the Wii. The Gamecube kind of got shafted by the game manufacturers.

Just remember one thing, for those of you that are old enough to remember...

THE POWERGLOVE!!

This was a glove controller for the NES that you put over your right hand and it sensed your hand/arm movements. Also, it had about twenty buttons on it as well. It looked so f'ing cool in the commercials and was released in 87' (I'm pretty sure) right before Christmas.

It took me one day of playing it for me, and many others, to take it back. It's pretty bad when you try and use this in Mike Tyson's Punch Out and you keep getting owned by the first Piston Honda and if you're real good you could make it up to fight King Hippo. I remember the commercial for the Powerglove showed some guy fighting Sodapop Zinski... pfft, as... if.

Granted, technology has advanced tremendously since 87' but I still wouldn't buy some new concept controller before its release just cause it looks "cool or amazing".

I think Nintendo are making a mistake by targeting younger people and whatnot. for example... there are not going to be and 'real' sports games for the Wii. its going to be like a collection of stupid looking cartoonish sports games without any real players or anything...

i'm not sure if this is just for the system's launch or not, but still i think it is quite a bad idea.

im not sure. because on the gamecube they hd real simulation sports games...

i just think it takes away form most of the fun. when you play a simulation sports game like madden or something, its cool to be your favorite team and make them better or whatever, instead of just playing as a bunch of made up cartoons...

^ That was 1987

Thank you for pointing out what I already did.

Oops, I didn't read all of your post. My Fault.

I think Nintendo are making a mistake by targeting younger people and whatnot. for example... there are not going to be and 'real' sports games for the Wii. its going to be like a collection of stupid looking cartoonish sports games without any real players or anything...

i'm not sure if this is just for the system's launch or not, but still i think it is quite a bad idea.

dude, don't fret. They haven't even released the console. Those are just the games that are going to be release with the Wii. I bet more real simulation, with real NFL, MLB, all those sports, will come after the release. Stuff like MLB 2K6 and stuff.

Ohh, And I can't wait to see how Sonic will play. It looks like the concept of the controller and the game together looks like it will be a lot of fun.

EDIT: Btw I just found this. http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/madden07/news.html?sid=6150405

Theres even a movie of gameplay on there somewhere.

^^^^Is Madden not a "real" enough sports title for you?? Wii sports is a fun launch title for the whole family, to get people that don't play games to play.

Kinda like "Touch generations" games for the DS, the big 'N, has sold over 600,000 DS lites, with this strategy. I think they know what they are doing.

All Wii games are not going to be cartoonish and childish, they will have some big-boy titles too. Plus with the Wii being under $250.00, I think it will do just fine. Besides, third party developers are drooling waiting to get their hands on the Wii. Just ask Robb how "Transformers Wii" is coming along.

Anyway, on to my real post.

lol. no, i mean the motion sensing function that they were developing that is completely different from the Wii's one... the idea might have been gotten from Ninntendo, but thats how innovation works. just like how sony started the dual analog stick idea with the ps1, and then microsoft and nintendo 'copied' it with the gamecube and the xbox...

Actually, it was Nintendo that was the first to use a "pressure sensitive" analog control stick, on the N 64, not Sony.

It might have only been one stick, but it was Nintendo's first.

Sony did use the dual first, but only after stealing an idea from Nintendo (sounds familiar, huh??)

Time line:

PS 1:

N 64

Then surprise, surprise!!

PS 1 again

I guess that's how innovation work for Sony

Don't even get me started on the rumble feature 'cough' Star Fox 64 'Cough', which is now a staple in all of gaming now, oh that's right, not for the PS 3

and like I said before, I had a controller for my PC about 8 years ago that did what the PS 3's does, real original Sony.

"F" Sony!!!!

P All " although I am looking forward to God of War 2"

While I realize that Nintendo did not invent the technology used, They where the first out of the main console companies to mainstream it. So please, no geek bashing for my lack of knowledge on systems from the 70's & 80's.

Thank You.