TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people seem to think that the 360 & PS3 will out sell the Rev. I would have thought that the Rev. would out sell all, as there is so much you can do with the system. I'm not really a fan of Sony's games systems (Now their Video/Audio products is a different story ) Mainly because with each system, it's basiclly the same as the previous one. Just beefed up a little more, maybe a new gimmick here or there and thats it. Look at the transition that Microsoft made with X-Box to 360. I have both, and they are totally different imo.

• 3 weeks later...

I think its the most hilarious name for a console ever. I could make so many bad piss jokes...

"Hey mom, I have to go take a Wii."

Wii will certainly change everything, especially for Nintendo's naming and marketing departments.

Controller was revealed:

First thought: "WTF?!"

Second thought: "Hm, interesting"

Final thought: "Brilliant!!!"

Name was revealed:

First thought: "WTF?!"

Second thought: "Hm, interesting"

Final thought: "Brilliant!!!"

Seriously. It might seem like a very bad name at first. It's a bold move, that's for sure. But hey, everybody is talking about it, so it works...

^ Nintendo is getting better at marketing to Americans, but they still need some work. They just don't understand us, and for good reason.

Example: Make a violent game and it will sell, even if it limits the amount of people that can actually buy the game.

They can, however, market this to Americans if they try. Take advantage of our nasty minds with a tagline like "Play with your Wii." much like they did with "touching is good" for the nintendo ds. THistime, however, they'll have the games to back it up.

The name is still trying to sink in with me. Still not sure what exactly to make of it.

While most of what I have heard from people has been negative, at least people are talking about it. And at least its more creative than PS3 or XBox360.

Smart move announcing it now instead of at E3 where it would have overshadowed everything else.

Can't wait until the rest is unveiled in less than 2 weeks!

I did some reading on the whole "Wii" thing and found this on Wikipedia.

Nintendo spells it Wii because the two i's represent two players gathering to play with the controller together, thus the play on the word "we."[

I guess it works...but I can only imagine how many jokes us silly Americans will come up with about it once the name is more well known.

Dear Nintendo-

First of all I wanted to thank you *VERY* much for making a new console. Frankly it has all of us Nintendo fan boys very excited and I think even the general public will love the retro games and the return to some of the classic characters we love. But... sigh.. and it pains me to say this Nintendo since you have been such a great friend to me over the years... but you have gone over the edge this time. I feel like we have to have an intervention... I *know* you want to be unique and I *know* this is your mid life crisis - but a name change? It is very artsy and everything.. and thats cool... but people LIKED the revolution name - there was no issue with it. People are making fun of the new name... could you have least run it by a few test groups for us? They would have told you that it probably was not the best idea. Look Nintendo...since I like you so much, I will give you a hint sheet for any future name changes you might want to make.

1) Does it sound.....hmmm... 'Ghey'? - This is probably a bad idea if the average 14 year old would say the name "Sucks" or is "Gay". Try again.

2) Do you have to write a press release to explain the many meanings of your name? Some kinda odd and philosophical? Good if you are naming a new species of bug you found...bad if its a FRIGGIN VIDEO GAME CONSOLE.

3) Do other meanings for your name involve taking a piss? THEN STOP RIGHT THERE.

Sigh. I'll know you will get on the right track Nintendo..and I will buy you anyway.. but this is from a friend .... to a friend.

It was not a name change. Revolution was NEVER an official name...

Even though I liked Revolution better, this name actually seems smarter. People are talking about it, even people that before had nothing to do with the Wii are now talking about it. People makes jokes about it, so? Many of them will buy it. And seriously, I think I'm not the only one who kept saying "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" in my head over and over...

It sticks, that's all that counts...

Besides that, I find it much better than XBox360...

So, what are the Wii's graphics going to be comparable to? Will it be somewhat along the lines of the next generation consoles, or are graphical and performance upgrades taking a back seat to the upgrade in gameplay?

Its no secret that the Xbox360 and PS3 have much more impressive specs when it comes to graphics compared to the Wii. Which honestly doesn't bug me at all. I'd rather play a fun, innovative game with graphics a bit better than current-gen systems then play a game where the focus is on next-gen graphics.

So, what are the Wii's graphics going to be comparable to? Will it be somewhat along the lines of the next generation consoles, or are graphical and performance upgrades taking a back seat to the upgrade in gameplay?

Its no secret that the Xbox360 and PS3 have much more impressive specs when it comes to graphics compared to the Wii. Which honestly doesn't bug me at all. I'd rather play a fun, innovative game with graphics a bit better than current-gen systems then play a game where the focus is on next-gen graphics.

The Wii is gonna be 2 times as powerful as the GameCube, which if you remember GC was more powerful than PS2. So if you look at it like this, the most popular, highest selling console of this Gen. was not the most powerful. So There is hope for the Wii, I'm not worried, I'm gonna get mine, not to mention it will probably be about $300. less than PS3!!

P All "can't wait to play with my Wii!!"

Can I say, the name Wii, is, ummm... stupid? I mean who will name thier avideo game system Wii?? The name is gay, but the Nintendo Wii still look like a great system by what we have seen so far and Nintedo will probably get my money for it

BTW, does anyone know the release date for it?

At first, I was like "WTF? Wii...weird name." Actually, when I saw the name posted on here, I thought someone misspelt 'wifi.' After thinking about it and reading what it's name means, I'm kinda starting to think it's cool as it's unique. Still waiting to see how many more 'wii' jokes there will be...found a boatload of them on the gamefaqs.com messageboards such as, "If I bought 2 of them, then would it be a 'wii-wii'?"