TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

FINALLY!

I'm so happy, although when when I read the topic title I literally gasped, I thought there was news of a new coaster

I'd be fine with almost anything. I'd prefer an El loco or a Euro-fighter, but my dream would be an out and back B&M hyper spanning the length of the park

I was at an ACE event in September (Yes, I'm also an ACEr...and I'm actually underweight.) and management said either an extension of the Arena to accomodate more Summer Concert Series guests, a new flat ride, or a new coaster.

PS Many of the ACErs asked for an El Loco...perhaps it may be that?

PPS We also debated a B&M of that style.

And once again, I bring up my marvelous idea of putting a coaster station in Flying Coaster's old spot and having a mega coaster (Intamin/B&M anyone?) go throughout the park. Because The Flying Coaster is right by the parking lot, some supports can make use of the little "islands" that are already in the parking lot with grass and trees on them. The ONLY coaster that is original to EG is Twister II... It's not even that fun. PLEASE get a decent coaster, EG. PLEASE. There's just no major draw to the park, but a coaster that goes throughout the park would be a GREAT addition.

There's just no major draw to the park, but a coaster that goes throughout the park would be a GREAT addition.

I agree that Elitch's is in need of a signature coaster, but realistically, if it was a hyper, we would have seen pieces arrive long ago. It would still be a wonderful addition though. I'm hoping for a Euro Fighter or an Intamin Zac-Spin/Ball Coaster. I'd take anything but a clone. Elitch's doesn't need another one of those.

Considering PARC's success with Zamperla's motocoaster at Darien Lake and Vekoma's suspended family coaster at Frontier city, I would think that if they're adding a coaster it would be either of those. Considering PARC's tight purse-strings this year though, I'd imagine they're probably just expanding the stage or something.

• 3 months later...

Herschend Family Entertainment To Manage

DARIEN LAKE THEME PARK RESORT and ELITCH GARDENS

January 25, 2011, Orlando, FL & Norcross, GA -- CNL Lifestyle Properties, Inc., owners of Darien Lake Theme Park Resort and Elitch Gardens, and Herschend Family Entertainment (HFE), the nation's largest family-owned theme park corporation, jointly announced today that HFE would assume the day-to-day management of both properties starting January 25, 2011. Based near Buffalo, New York, and in Denver, Colorado, respectively, Darien Lake Theme Park Resort and Elitch Gardens both include a theme park, a water park and a performance venue. In addition, Darien Lake Theme Park Resort also includes a hotel, cabins and a campground. HFE will become the management company for all properties; CNL Lifestyle Properties remains the owner. Curt Caffey, senior vice president and managing director, CNL Lifestyle Properties and Joel Manby, president and CEO, HFE, made the announcement.

“HFE was a natural choice due to the company’s solid history of operating first-class, successful theme parks with a reputation for top service and guest experience standards,” said Caffey. “Both Darien Lake and Elitch Gardens already have strong foundations as beautiful, fun and wholesome family parks. We’re confident Herschend will use its operations know-how to take these attractions to the next level.”

“We are eager to get to work managing the operations at these popular parks. With 50 years of experience serving millions of guests, and operating a variety of family entertainment enterprises including theme parks, water parks, tour businesses, hotels and campgrounds, HFE is committed to delivering great value while always bringing families closer together. These parks align well with that philosophy,” said Manby. “Our aim is to make the transition as seamless as possible for the parks’ employees and as transparent as possible to guests.”

As the parks’ new management company, HFE will oversee all operations including supervising more than 3,500 full-time and seasonal employees.

Darien Lake Theme Park Resort, is New York State's largest theme and water park resort. Darien Lake Theme Park Resort provides accommodations at the Lodge on the Lake Hotel with Forts-o-Fun suites, Brown Bear Cabins, RV sites and campgrounds. It is also home to a 22,000-seat performing arts center featuring some of today’s hottest musical acts.

For more than 120 years, Elitch Gardens has been a gathering place for Colorado's families and children and the entertainment hub of the community. It was home to the first zoo, first theater, first movie house, first symphony orchestra and continues to be the oldest continually operating theme park west of the Mississippi.

About CNL Lifestyle Properties, Inc.

CNL Lifestyle Properties, Inc. is a real estate investment trust that owns a portfolio of 151 properties in the United States and Canada in the lifestyle and recreation sectors. Headquartered in Orlando, Fla., CNL Lifestyle Properties specializes in the acquisition of ski and mountain lifestyle, attractions, golf, marinas, senior living and additional lifestyle properties. For more information, visit http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/

About Herschend Family Entertainment

Widely recognized as the premier privately held theme park operator in the U.S., HFE owns, operates or partners in 24 entertainment, tourism and hospitality properties in eight states. Celebrating its fiftieth anniversary in 2010, HFE's original park is Branson, Missouri’s Silver Dollar City theme park. In Branson, the company also owns and operates Showboat Branson Belle lake attraction, White Water water park and The Wilderness at Silver Dollar City campground. HFE is an operating partner with Dolly Parton in the Dollywood Company, which owns the Dollywood theme park and Dollywood’s Splash Country water park, both in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The Dollywood Company is also the largest shareholder in the Dixie Stampede dinner attractions located in Branson, Pigeon Forge and Myrtle Beach. In Georgia, HFE operates Atlanta’s Stone Mountain Park in conjunction with the State of Georgia, and owns Wild Adventures Theme Park in Valdosta. HFE also owns Adventure Aquarium in Camden, New Jersey and the Newport Aquarium in Newport, Kentucky, as well as Ride The Ducks amphibious tours in Branson, Philadelphia and San Francisco. Ride The Ducks also operates at Newport Aquarium and Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta.

Info was found on the official Elitch gardens facebook page.

• 1 year later...

Elitch Gardens is getting 3 NEW Attractions and a new 360 degree show!

409099_10150593867077351_62242807350_9116953_604162948_n.jpg

1...2...3 NEW rides are coming to Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park this year! Full announcement coming March 8. “LIKE” this if you can’t wait for the 2012 season!

Link

Edited by jps294

Does "360 degree shows" mean that the park would be expanding the current arena into a complete circle? If so, that would cut into the space where the Flying Coaster used to be and make putting a new ride there difficult.

I also remember seeing this picture in the IAAPA update thread...

A new water slide at the park is looking very promising.

Yay for Elitch Gardens! God knows the Colorado enthusiasts have faced a lot of heartbreak with this park in the past...

We have, we have especially with that piece of crap Twister II, what new rides are coming to Darien Lake anyway? Since like said above the two parks are owned by the same company...

I seriously hope that one of the additions is new trains on Twister II. Those PTCs have murdered that thing so badly, it's unbearable to ride. If I recall correctly, at an ACE event, one of the managers (name escapes me) mentioned that he was trying to get the X Coaster from Magic Springs. Hope springs eternal.