TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

I love parks located in the heart of a city like La Feria de Chapultepec, Liseberg, Cosmoworld, and Tokyo Dome City. Having the skyscrapers behind you is quite the backdrop.

Even if Elitch Gardens didn't have the best coaster lineup, it'd be unfortunate to see them eventually go.

Your heading is a little misleading...

Closing for good? No, relocating. Also, "Eventually" is the only time table for any if this happening. It could be a decade before anything happens.

Edited by larrygator

I kind of liked the location, but given the current constraints and lineup, I wouldn't mind a move if it means fewer coding restrictions and being able to add rides that aren't just off-the-shelf models for once (maybe rebuild Twister without neutering the helix?).

Closing for good? No, relocating. Also, "Eventually" is the only time table for any if this happening. It could be a decade before anything happens.

At an “unknown” location. Doesn’t sound very promising.

Either way it looks like a trip to Denver is in order!

At an “unknown” location. Doesn’t sound very promising.

I don't see why you would say that. This decision came from Denver, not from Elitch Gardens. They're being forced out of their location much like the London Dungeon was a few years back.

If you look at population numbers, I'm not convinced you'll see it come back.

Phoenix has people than Denver and a much better operating season and doesn't support a full size amusement park.

Miami has more people than Denver and a much better operating season and doesn't support a full size amusement park.

Detroit has more people than Denver and an equally crappy operating season and doesn't support a full size amusement park.

It's definitely comining back. They're doubling down on the Gardens part with a horticulturally themed park. You'll enter in the stem, and there will be five themed leaves. Perfect way for you and your buds to spend an evening.

What makes you think that it is “definitely” coming back? I consider myself an optimist but just looking at where things stand it makes me think it not returning. I’d prefer the park to stick around but did you read anything promising?

It's definitely comining back. They're doubling down on the Gardens part with a horticulturally themed park. You'll enter in the stem, and there will be five themed leaves. Perfect way for you and your buds to spend an evening.

You really worked on that, didn't you?

Goodness gracious. Well, that was my first reaction, even though I can't say I'm too broken up about this (if it does mean the park eventually closes forever/becomes even worse in a new location).

I wonder if the city of Denver would be willing to put some money into Lakeside based on this. I haven't been there in years, but if it's still basically the same as it was, it could really use some love.

Unless you've visited more recently than 2012, I'm going to use my visit that year as supporting evidence that yes, it could still really use some love.

The only real loss in that park would be the arrow shuttle loop.

Agreed. I enjoyed the park more than I expected, and had fun on other rides, but that's the only stand-out coaster for me.

Unless you've visited more recently than 2012, I'm going to use my visit that year as supporting evidence that yes, it could still really use some love.

2013. Close enough.

More recent photos look about the same to me, but with fresh coats of paint here and there. The one arm of the Roto Jet-like ride is still missing its vehicle though.

You really worked on that, didn't you?

I did.

What makes you think that it is “definitely” coming back? I consider myself an optimist but just looking at where things stand it makes me think it not returning. I’d prefer the park to stick around but did you read anything promising?

Oh yeah man, it's all documented in a 420-page technical report by Dr. Thomas K. Chong, Ph.D. of Good Times.

The new development is supposed to have recreation which looks to me like large open areas with no shade... it's ironic. They might be able to do better than the current park outside of town by moving half of it and building a new coaster though.

I looked at the parks on Google Maps, Elitch is kind of comparable to SFA without Superman and JJ, and Lakeside is maybe 1/3 the size -- about the size of the nearby Walmart supercenter including parking lot. Check out the Lakeside Speedway between them, looks perfect for a zombie apocalypse!

Living in Utah the last 1.5 years has put Elitch Gardens on my radar, but I still have no real desire to travel there despite it closing soon. It's always sad to see a park go (assuming it isn't relocated), but when the "top" coasters in the park are an SLC, half-pipe coaster, and mediocre/bad wooden coaster, I don't think it's too much of a loss.

I would love to see the park relocated, rebranded (maybe Six Flags is still looking for parks?), and upgraded. Time will tell how likely that is to happen though.