TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

I think these rides will be in the family category, and they'll probably be the same exact rides that Darien is getting. If Herschend has any sway in how capital investment is managed at the park, then they'll probably use the same strategy they use at their other parks. IE: purchasing contracts/rides in bulk and putting them in multiple parks. With Elitch and Darien being similar in many ways compared to HFEC's other managed properties, they'll probably get the mimic treatment like SDC and DW get with each other.

I'm sure these rides will be coming from Zamperla too. Who else does bulk ride packages? I'm thinking maybe a happy swing, maybe something like those spinning galleons, and hopefully something slightly more broadly-appealing off the catalog.

I seriously hope that one of the additions is new trains on Twister II. Those PTCs have murdered that thing so badly, it's unbearable to ride. If I recall correctly, at an ACE event, one of the managers (name escapes me) mentioned that he was trying to get the X Coaster from Magic Springs. Hope springs eternal.

Oh yeah, I remember that talk about Magic Springs!

X Coaster is a maintenance nightmare and no longer runs as was originally intended do to that. I wouldn't want it just for the maintenance headache alone, besides, it's not THAT amazing and hurts your neck like hell on the abrupt stop at the top of the tower at the end of it's cycle. It is however a really good ride and uprooting it from that park without replacing it with something equally as good would basically assist in closing the doors. Its also an ultra low capacity ride.

As far as Twister II, I didn't think it was all that bad in 2011, rode in multiple rows, a little rough, but not overbearing sadly, it is one of their better coasters in the park.

X Coaster is a maintenance nightmare and no longer runs as was originally intended do to that. I wouldn't want it just for the maintenance headache alone, besides, it's not THAT amazing and hurts your neck like hell on the abrupt stop at the top of the tower at the end of it's cycle. It is however a really good ride and uprooting it from MS without replacing it with something equally as good would basically assist in closing the doors. Its also an ultra low capacity ride.

As far as Twister II, I didn't think it was all that bad in 2011, rode in multiple rows, a little rough, but not overbearing sadly, it is one of their better coasters in the park.

^Completely agreed. Twister II is easily, for me, the best coaster in the park. Not to offend SLC and Boomerang fans...

I think the park is well overdue for something new, whether it is a coaster or not. I honestly have no preference as to what it will be, I just want something new and exciting. I'm sure the locals completely agree. It's just sad that there isn't much space to work with aside from the former location of Flying Coaster. It's not like we'll be seeing a hyper coaster or something. I just want it to be different.

I suppose that the park could tear down one of its 5 picnic pavilions for more room.

Looking on Google Maps, I suppose they could destroy the 2 small ones closest to the Ferris Wheel. However, depending on how the park does with those pavilions they may not want to demolish them. If they take those 2 out they could fit a small top spin sized ride there. In all honestly the park screwed it's self with the waterpark expansion. It shouldn't have put the wave pool and lazy river in those locations. I highly doubt Pepsi Center ever needs the small rectangular parking lot, so, they could have bought that and gotten a few more acres. What the park needs to do is pull a reverse CGA and use their parking lots for expansion and contract parking out to Pepsi Center. Without that the park is not going anywhere.

I highly doubt Pepsi Center ever needs the small rectangular parking lot, so, they could have bought that and gotten a few more acres. What the park needs to do is pull a reverse CGA and use their parking lots for expansion and contract parking out to Pepsi Center. Without that the park is not going anywhere.

a) That land was owned by a real estate company originally, and those few extra acres would have cost as much the rest of the park had originally.

b) Evidently, you haven't been to Pepsi Center. Those lots are almost constantly full during the summer.

c) They aren't in a contract. The City of Denver and Pepsi Center jointly own those massive lots. Pepsi Center built that bridge in 1997, so that they could make more money on parking when the park is busy. The land where the stairs come down into the Elitch parking lot was owned by RTD/CDOT.

How about pull a Knott's Berry Farm and build rides on Top of Each Other?

Aren't parking garages often prohibitively expensive? I feel like I've seen that discussed regarding some other park(s). On the other hand, obviously they do get built. Are there even that many at parks, though?

For a small parking garage (3 floor, 120,000 square foot total), which is probably what they could use, costs baseline 8.4 Million. It would also be insanely expensive to dig the foundations for it, as Colorado ground can be very hard and fragile.

• 3 weeks later...
Check this out.

http://elitchgardens.com/2012/03/06/new-at-elitch-gardens-in-2012/

We get a ProSlide Tantrum (not bad) , and two outdated, crappy looking, probably from a carnival kiddie rides. The slide looks pretty fun, the rest is just disappointing. I was expecting at least a little better than this, thanks Elitches...

Rather juvenile to diss on the kiddie rides I think. Remember, families are the best income base to have so these additions are pretty solid for their bottom line. As we always say, not every addition has to be aimed at thrill seekers. HFEC always does well with their new ride additions. When they bought the Stinger (Wisdom Tornado) for CC, it was indeed an old rusty fair ride, but they cleaned and refurbished it so well that when it opened you would swear it was a brand new ride. These might be new though, I don't know of anyone selling a Zamperla rock-in-tug used, unless there was one left over from Cypress Gardens.

Good to see them buy a Tantrum. I hope it gets them to put them in other parks soon as well.