1. 1. Best B&M Standup

• Iron Wolf
    • Vortex (PGA)
    • Vortex (Carowinds)
    • Mantis
    • Chang
    • Riddlers Revenge
    • GA Scorcher

I see a few others have commented who have only been on one, so I'll jump on the bandwagon.

I enjoyed Vortex at CGA. I understand perfectly why it's a total loser in this poll, in which we are comparing it to other stand-ups. However, I do not understand why it gets so much hate in general. It doesn't bother me, of course; I just think it's interesting. In my limited experience, I give it a 7 out of 10. I originally gave it an 8 for fun, then lowered that to 7 when I realized it's really short and forgettable. Re-rides definitely start to get boring. It's also rough, but I can live with that.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to vote in the poll just yet as I've only been on Ga Scorcher and Carowinds' Vortex. I will vote in the thread and it goes to...Georgia Scorcher!!! I actally didn't mind Vortex so much though. Maybe it's because the only other stand-up I've been on besides these two is Shockwave and I heard a rumor that the government dismantles that and takes it down to Guantanamo during the off-season. The folks down there prefer the waterboarding.

^So...it's really short, forgettable, rough, and boring...but you don't understand why it gets so much hate? lol

Good point when you summarize my posting like that. I still feel the same way about the coaster itself, but I guess I should refrain from trying to judge or interpret other people's opinions. Because clearly, if I do, I'll contradict myself!

I've only been on 3 B&M stand-ups. And Riddler's Revenge is by far my favorite however Georgia Scorcher was pretty amazing and that comes very close in 2nd.

I also rode the Vortex at Carowinds and wasn't too impressed, however it wasn't as rough as I was expecting it to be after all the horror stories i've heard. It had a decent layout, but nothing mind blowing.

I would rank the three I have been on in the following order.

1. Riddler's Revenge

2. Mantis

3. Vortex

Riddler's Revenge is so much better than the other two in my opinion that it isn't really a good comparison.

I've only been on Mantis and Iron Wolf as far as B&M Standups go, and I prefer Mantis, though they both were nothing fantastic. Iron Wolf was better than I thought it would be though.

And to think, back when my coaster count was like, thirty, Mantis was in my top three. That's laughable.

• 9 months later...

I really enjoyed Riddler's Revenge. It's pretty intense and it's much better than Vortex (which I didn't think was all that bad either).

In case anyone remembers my earlier posts...I finally downgraded Vortex to a 6/10. I realized that it really isn't all that memorable. Riddler's gets an 8/10 for now.

1. Riddler's Revenge

2. Vortex (CGA)

Wow I didn't realize I had been on all of them! Not as surprising as actually getting on all 3 Deja Vus though! lol

Riddler is easily my favorite, followed by Scorcher. Hmm maybe I'll put these in order...

1. Riddler's Revenge

2. Georgia Scorcher

3. Chang

4. Mantis

5. Vortex (Caro)

6. Iron Wolf

7. Vortex (CGA)

Those last 3...depends if you catch it on a good day or not.

I've only ridden Iron Wolf and Chang, so Chang is easily my top pick. While I like Iron Wolf's layout more, Chang was the far more enjoyable ride. If Iron Wolf was smoother, it might be my number one due to how intense it is, but Chang is currently superior due to it's smoothness and size. I'm not a fan of bigger is better, but in the Case of Chang, it is currently true.

The only thing I didn't like about Chang was its location which was an overgrown field and the worst station I've seen, although Iron Wolf's isn't much better.

I've been on Mantis, Scorcher, and Vortex (Carowinds). I think Mantis is just too long, my legs kill me after that ride. It's weird, I've had great rides on it, but recently it just hasn't been how I remembered.

Vortex as fun, I rode in 2004. Don't remember it being rough at all.

GA Scorcher was awesome, and I loved EVERY second of it. There was this awesome airtime divebombing turn that really impressed me, along with the corkscrew.

I've ridden Mantis, Chang, Vortex @ PC, and Iron Wolf, so far it belongs to Mantis, I love it's drop and the twister layout after the MCBR. I thought Chang would take it this past summer but it honestly was a calf-killer, I seriously hurt it after riding, it hurt to walk for a while after riding. Vortex and Iron Wolf were pretty decent, but not the best. I'll be riding Georgia Scorcher this summer, so I won't vote until I ride that one because it looks quite good