• Montu
    • Alpengeist
    • Great Bear
    • Top Gun (Carowinds)
    • Talon
    • Dueling Dragons (Fire or Ice)
    • Silver Bullet
    • Patriot

This is why we have things like Mitch's poll which compensate for popularity and number of votes.

http://www.ushsho.com/detailedsteelrollercoasterpollresults2008.htm

As of last year, Montu was ranked #18 in the world, Afterburn is ranked a very respectable 34.

Sounds about right to me. While there is an awful lot to like about the ride at Carowinds for me it doesn't add up to Montu in any way. I don't think I've ridden Montu since the MCBR started grabbing hard but that dramatic dive into the 2nd vertical loop and all of the below-grade stuff after that is an absolute phenomenal finale, whereas Afterburn's rides like little more than an afterthought.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Thanks for that! (Even if it does kind of blow my theory.)

You're reaction to Montu and Afterburn's endings is interesting in that it's the exact opposite of mine. I feel like Afterburn's is, "Well, we've done a bunch of cool stuff, now let's wrap this up." Whereas Montu's is more, "Okay, what should we do now? Um...how about another vertical loop? That was cool the first time, right?"

Even considering Mitch Hawker's poll, I wouldn't be surprised if Afterburn is sort of under-rated. Patriot is the same way. It got all this talk early on about how it looks a clone of Talon, so you would think they would be closer together on the poll, but Patriot has been behind Talon since it opened (something that baffles me, since Patriot is rated very well everywhere else, and I cannot imagine Talon ever having been better). The Hawker poll is accurate, but there is always room for improvement.

"Okay, what should we do now? Um...how about another vertical loop? That was cool the first time, right?"

Absolutely one of the best moments on any looping coaster for me. The use of terrain and the incredibly powerful positive g's just slay me. Really clever, well orchestrated track design.

I dunno though, maybe with the harder brakes the effect isn't quite the same.

To add to the Montu vs. Afterburn thing, I was just looking at those Bing maps at the 'birds-eye view' feature (which is totally awesome), and I noticed that besides the direction of the swooping drop (Afterburn = right; Montu = Left), they are ALMOST absolutely identical.The only significant difference is the placement of the MCBR and the extra vertical loop on Montu. I'm sure this has something to do with why they are both very highly rated as inverts.

On the Montu VS Afterburn thing, I seriously think that Afterburn is better. The first half of Afterburn is much more intense than Montu's and also, Afterburn's batwing actually goes underground and doesn't have a trim before allowing Afterburn to carry more speed through the element thus making it more forceful. The only part I thought was really noteworthy of Montu was the drop off the midcourse and the second vertical loop. The rest of Montu's finale is taken slower than Afterburn's finale. I mean, sure Montu is better themed, but afterburn supplies the better ride. If you don't believe me, go ride Afterburn at night after the track has started to cool down a little after a full day of operation. It will blow your mind.

I agree that Afterburn is very good and sometimes overlooked. I believe I have it listed as my #3 favorite invert and my #1 outside the state of Florida. With the new coaster coming to Carowinds next year, the park should have a very good 1-2 punch as far as Beemers go. ...That is as long as the new coaster is a B&M.

Not trying to stir up trouble, but it's interesting how many people who put Montu in the top spot haven't ridden Afterburn.

Totally agree, take Montu but subtract the trims and MCBR and add a more relentless and forceful ending and you have Afterburn. Afterburn blew my mind when I rode it. Definitel beating Montu, imo.

This is why we have things like Mitch's poll which compensate for popularity and number of votes.

http://www.ushsho.com/detailedsteelrollercoasterpollresults2008.htm

As of last year, Montu was ranked #18 in the world, Afterburn is ranked a very respectable 34.

Sounds about right to me. While there is an awful lot to like about the ride at Carowinds for me it doesn't add up to Montu in any way. I don't think I've ridden Montu since the MCBR started grabbing hard but that dramatic dive into the 2nd vertical loop and all of the below-grade stuff after that is an absolute phenomenal finale, whereas Afterburn's rides like little more than an afterthought.

I disagree now-a-days. Back when Montu first opened and the MCBR was barley noticeable I would agree 100%, though. Now-a-days with the MCBR turned on so hard I feel like the speed and forces in the second half is really pretty minimal. On the other hand Afterburn takes the flat spin and helix with a good amount of speed before hitting the breaks at a good pace.

Can anyone tell me what the big deal is about Great Bear? I'm not trying to start a fight, I just didn't really see anything so amazing about it when I rode it and a lot of people really love it. So maybe I missed something?

*puzzled*

^It only pulled about 3 percent of the vote so far. I like Great Bear, but I know quite a few people who don't care for it. When it comes to U.S. inverts, I'm more of an Afterburn/Montu/Duelling Dragons man, myself.

I'm not talking about here. This poll is obviously not accurate at all. I know people who swear by it and have it in their top fives and tens. It's a great ride, and I don't have a problem with that. Just wondering why those people like it so much.

Can anyone tell me what the big deal is about Great Bear? I'm not trying to start a fight, I just didn't really see anything so amazing about it when I rode it and a lot of people really love it. So maybe I missed something?

*puzzled*

I notice many more people who seem to really dis-like it myself.

I personally have always enjoyed it a lot. The layout and setting is pretty original as far as B&M inverts go. I always found it to be a very smooth but forceful ride in the back with good pacing.

I'm not talking about here. This poll is obviously not accurate at all. I know people who swear by it and have it in their top fives and tens. It's a great ride, and I don't have a problem with that. Just wondering why those people like it so much.

I rather like the setting of Great Bear, myself--the way it interacts with the little lake. Plus, even though I've heard some riders describe it as "forceless," I think it's forceful enough (feel the same way about Talon).

That being said, it's not a "top ten" ride for me, either. Different strokes for different folks.

In all honesty, the only part of Great Bear I felt ANY kind of decent force on was the pre-drop helix thing. The rest of the ride didn't do much for me...

Yes, the setting is great, and that adds to the experience. I also enjoy how it almost interacts with SooperDooperLooper.

• 9 months later...