TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the scariest ride in the world?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^The tallest in the U.S. is in KI at 315 feet tall and 67 mph, but has a shorter drop length than the shorter one in KD which is 305 feet tall and 72 mph. KI's drop length is 264 feet and KD's is 272 feet. The largest in the world is in Dreamworld at 84.4 mph and 390 feet tall. Largest in Europe is Hurakan Condor at 71 mph and 330 feet tall.

KD and KI both claim to have the tallest, but technically, they're both right.

My scariest ride is any where the headchoppers take the term a bit more literally than most.

EDIT: I think I just replied to a post that was 4 years old. Ooops!

Edited by mightbeawannabe

To me Goliath at SFMM is pretty scary.. I haven't been on it yet and went there twice, had plenty of time to get on it but that lift hill and drop is so high and steep. Of course what I hate most of all are water slides. Having no safety systems at all just freaks me out.

My vote goes to the Zipper rides. I went on one many years ago with my boyfriend who dragged me on it and I hated it. I don't get claustrophobic or anything, but sitting in that little cage just rolling around in it got to me. Ever since then I have avoided them at all costs.

• 2 years later...

^^^^^^

I would totally agree with this one above! Also the Vekoma Tilt coaster as well, simply because on either of these you really would be hoping and praying that the mechanics who maintain the rides have been doing their jobs! Your life totally depends on whatever device stops the train from progressing forward on the tracks (especially the tilt coaster, since once the track is aligned, the train is eventually released, so more chance for a failure) and whatever safety redundancies are built into the ride (hopefully there are many!). Your life is of course in the hands of ride designers and mechanics on all rides, but in these cases it seems all the more obvious and frightening. Most coasters will simply valley or just stop if something goes wrong, but if something went wrong on either of those two you're talking complete and catastrophic fatality for all riders.

I'd probably ride both, but I'd definitely be sure I made peace with my higher power, so to speak, before riding!

Other rides that are scary (at least from a first-time rider and especially a "GP" point of view) are TTD and Kingda Ka, and also traditional gravity-powered coasters over 300ft, like Millennium Force. In addition, coasters with vertical drops tend to be scarier (not to me anymore, but years ago I would have been terrified of a near-vertical or vertical drop) than typical coasters with more modest inclines.

Drop towers and large Ferris wheels would of course be scary for anyone with a fear of heights. I also personally found the chair lift ride at Knoebels to be scary - parts of it were pretty nerve-wracking, especially since the seat looks like nothing more than a park bench with a simple small lap bar. Chair lift rides can be scary simply because, like a Ferris wheel, they move so slowly, and you have ample time to worry about falling out or other things, like the seat or gondola falling off the cable. I ride these things all the time at every park, but I always feel like I'm surpressing anxiety all the time.

Scariest rides for me personally are probably Drop Towers. Sitting there waiting for the thing to drop is horrible for me....

As for coasters, Kingda Ka scared the living crap out of me when I rode it for the first time. Sitting there waiting for that 128 MPH launch is frightening, as is the 400 foot plunge to the ground if you're afraid of heights.

• 2 months later...

SCAD Towers are pretty fightening, but that's more of a "fall" than a "ride." For me, I think it's anything with a chair on either end of a "stick" that rotates vertically. I won't go near those things.

Drop towers and Screamin' Swings (Only been on Skyhawk, but seen others and could imagine that they're similar) are kinda freaky. Drop towers for obvious reasons, and Screamin' Swings due to the minimalist restraints (HUSS Giant Frisbees provide a similar experience but have very tight restraints.) As for roller coasters, I don't know. The Tilt Coaster style (Gravity Max) seems kinda freaky, but the only one is not that tall - maybe if they were made larger? Also, Dragster/Kingda Ka are intimidating at first and give rides that are really unable to be compared to most other coasters - you go right from a standstill to super-high speeds to flying vertically upwards. However, they are easy to get used to - roller coasters don't keep the scare factor very well.

Agreed on the Stratosphere rides! I think the scariest one up there is Big Shot--it's the most terrifying ride experience for me out of everything I've ever been on (although I've been on it lots of times). I love drop/launch towers, and I will ride the craziest of coasters and flat rides, go skydiving, etc., but the friggin' Big Shot scares the living hell out of me every single time I ride it. I get flashbacks of RCT3 and the thing launching too fast and going off the top... and when you're already so high up to begin with, it feels like you're definitely going up and off the tower.

I'll also admit that ferris wheels are a no-go for me. I was traumatized by a skydiver ferris wheel when I was younger--I think I was a little too small and was flying all over the place in the car. Those things are horrifying!

skydiver.thumb.jpg.ec3ec5eb3b81c6fcdec22f894bb26707.jpg

No thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

S&S screamin swings are the most horrifying things ever! gonly been on 1, swingshot at kennywood) and wild mouse coasters, especially Hershey's at night! but most of all, wildcat at Hershey park, I went on it sitting next to my little sister, and I never heard her scream like that before! and that curved first drop, I though I would fly out, and don't forget the extreme roughness! also both times I rode it were at night

Drop towers and Screamin' Swings (Only been on Skyhawk, but seen others and could imagine that they're similar) are kinda freaky. Drop towers for obvious reasons, and Screamin' Swings due to the minimalist restraints (HUSS Giant Frisbees provide a similar experience but have very tight restraints.) As for roller coasters, I don't know. The Tilt Coaster style (Gravity Max) seems kinda freaky, but the only one is not that tall - maybe if they were made larger? Also, Dragster/Kingda Ka are intimidating at first and give rides that are really unable to be compared to most other coasters - you go right from a standstill to super-high speeds to flying vertically upwards. However, they are easy to get used to - roller coasters don't keep the scare factor very well.
I think maurer skyloops keep the scare factor for a long time. No matter how many times i ride them having a lapbar in an over vertical lift is scary.

Definitely some of the rides at the German festivals look pretty intense, but the Star Flyer and Black Mamba in Vienna look like two of the scariest rides I have ever seen. Granted, SF has taller Star Flyers than this one now, but I just remember when they were building this one at Wiener Prater and how it just looked so insanely scary!

We just booked a tour of Vienna, Budapest and Prague for next April and I sure would like to at least get some pictures even if the rides look too intimidating for us to ride.

And yes, I did chicken out like a little girl on the Stratosphere rides too. Even after a couple of Manhattans with dinner on top of the tower, I could not bring myself to go on those crazy ass rides!

Prater_Turm_01_.thumb.jpg.38370cb3f9b857c2cb2f23b102188595.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.73a2b133e68135f49699928c9ad2441c.jpg