TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

At What Age did You Discover that Rides were Fun?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing...I rode the Matterhorn at Disneyland all the time, but never liked it because it scared me. (My dad made us kids ride.)

Then, in 1971 when Magic Mountain opened, the Gold Rusher was the greatest thing on the planet---or so I thought. Well, that was the bug that bit me and I haven't looked back since.

Eric

As far back as I can remember, one of my second cousins and her cousin took me to a bunch of parks (Conneaut Lake, Cedar Point, the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, and Geauga Lake) in the course of a week when I was 4 or 5. I don't remember much except vomiting on the octopus/spider ride and the pirate ship at Conneaut Lake... ROFL.

When I was 9 my aunt worked for a local hospital (Cleveland) and she got us discount tickets to Geauga Lake. God, I remember riding the Corkscrew (my first coaster) and the Big Dipper like there was no tomorrow. Thus would really begin my love of flats and coasters alike!

So I guess you could say I went on my first flats at 4 or 5, and my first coasters at 9! And I'm still hooked on anything I can get on today, at 22/23!

Amanda "I love all rides, even CHANCE INVERTERS" V.

I was scared of roller coaster when I went to Disney World when I was five. I went on one with my dad... but my head was down the whole time because I was too scared to look lol! Then I finally went on a bigger coaster at the age of 14 or 15. It was Mine Eraser at SFNE. I had the hugest headache after it but i still love them!

I guess when I started going to SFDL more often at about 13 is when I got hooked. Riding Viper over and over turned coaster riding from something I felt dared to do (peer pressure) into something I enjoy to do. S:ROS quickly became my favorite. I began going to other parks more often, and always making sure to get whatever credits were possible at that park. To this day, S:ROS is still my favorite. Viper also holds a special place to me.

I rode my first coaster Särkänniemi's Jet Star, when I was 9.

I used to be scared about coasters until I was around 14-15.

Well because of that I've 'missed' quite many 'credits'.

Coasters and themepark 'became' a hobby for me in the fall 2003, after playing rct for a while, seen Beverly Hills cop 3, which made me interested to know if there really was a park called 'Wonderland'.

I went to the internet searched, clicked on links, which led me here and there and gradually I started to learn more about the 'subject', as it was fascinating to see how big coasters, parks there really are, etc. 'I got hooked'.

My very first coaster was space mountain at disneyworld when I was 5 in 1985 and I cried and screamed the whole way then next year my best friend convinced me to go on Scooby doo at PKD and I was scared at first but then I did not think it was so bad. I became a full blown enthusiast at the age of 7 when my dad convinced me to go on Rebel Yell in 1987 and I have been obsessed ever since.

JEFF

I've pretty much always liked flat rides. Since I was about 6 or 7, I'd ride everything at Opryland, including the Shoot the Chutes, the Log Flume and all. But it took some friends from church literally dragging me onto Rockin' Roller Coaster before I would ride the coasters. But then once I rode them, I loved all the ones there! Anything really big (mainly Hangman, Chang and everything at SFGAm in 1996 except Whizzer!) I wouldn't ride until I was 20. On my 20th birthday, I rode Rock N Roller Coaster at MGM Studios, and that sealed in the love of coasters. There have really only been two since then that I have been scared of...S:RoS SFNE and Top Thrill Dragster. But after riding Top Thrill Dragster, I don't think I will ever be scared of a coaster again!

-Julie (500th post! Woohoo!!!)

My parents tell me my first coaster was the "Comet Jr." at the now defunct Linclon Park in Mass.

My first "big" coaster was BGT's Scorpion. I rode it when I was around 8 or 9 and thought coasters were great from then on.

Going through an inversion for the first time is something you don't forget easily. Unfortunately it was closed on my last visit to BGT.

I was at SFKK when I was 13, and it was the first time I had been to an amusement park for about 5 years. I had already ridden the wild mouse earlier in the day, and even though it was the largest coaster I had ridden at that point, it still didn't make me feel like I had accomplished much.

Half of the day I spent watching my friends on Twisted Twins, deciding whether or not I should ride. Finally, they convinced me to ride with them. I actually ended up riding with some little girl I didn't know, and she talked all the way up the lift about how it was her first time on a coaster, too. That made the ride seem much less scary. I thought, if this little girl can handle it, I'm sure I can too.

I was not even slightly nervous going down the first drop, and I was smiling and laughing throughout the rest of the ride. The first drop gave me that incredibly intense, gut-wrenching feeling that makes you want to clench your fists and shiver. On the next few rides, that feeling was gone, though. I wish I could still get that sensation.

After a few more rides on Twisted Twins, I was ready to go on some bigger rides. I probably would have even ridden Chang or T2, but it was already time to leave the park

That ride made me a true coaster enthusiast. I went back to SFKK the next year to ride it "for old-time's sake" lol. It is one of my all time favorites, just because it was my first, and it brings back such great, vivid memories.

At the age of 5 I really loved themepark and rides although I was afraid to ride them. I could just stand for hours looking at the rides and being so happy about it.

The first coaster in Israle came when I was 6 and it amazed me. I remember telling all my friends and family about it over and over and over.

A cousin of mine came back from Disneyland and told me about this scarry dark ride in the space and how horrible it was. For me it sounds like the MOST AMAZING THING in the world. I went to sleep every nightjust thinking how it will be to ride it.

I was deathly afraid of coasters when I was a kid. I thought the people who rode them were insane. My first real coaster was the Ghoster Coaster at Canada's Wonderland when I was nine. I liked it so much I think I rode it about 20 times that day. I conquered my fear of Space Mountain at Disney World when I was 11. Despite this I was still afraid of steel coasters, especially looping ones. My first looping coaster was The Loch Ness Monster at BGW when I was 15. I haven't looked back since.

• 3 weeks later...