TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I don't get it. I'm not a big fan of Ka but imo its even more forceful than Dragster, but overall they are pretty similar (TTD gets the edge for me due to its superior restraints).

Is there anyone who has been on Dodonpa that would say anything else? Just curious.

It certainly gets my vote.

I feel like it's so different than Intamin accelerators. It's like bam there it is 107 mph. But the launches of TTD, Zaturn, Skycar etc last for a while and you can really feel it. I put Dodonpa and TTD pretty close together.

I agree in that I actually thought in a way TTD seemed faster to me because not only do you get that initial kick, but then you feel it accelerating, accelerating, accelerating... it's like it goes on for ever. I enjoyed my ride on Dodonpa (only did it once though), but I kind of appreciated the sensation of speed and the acceleration of TTD more.

In my opinion, nothing beats the compressed air launches of S&S. Especially the ones of Hypersonic and Dodonpa.

I remember when we hit Cedar Point and TTD back in 2007; we were all impressed by the acceleration, speed and height of TTD.

A couple of days later we stood next to Hypersonic XLC and thought we wouldn't be impressed by it, if we compared it to TTD. Well, when we saw that first launch of Hypersonic, we all pretty much pooped our pants! Personally, I was much more nervous for Hypersonic than I was for TTD. It was like getting blasted through time. And that feeling only got stronger after riding Dodonpa. So my vote goes to the boys and girls from Utah.

#1 is definite...like the rest of y'all who've ridden it, it's Dodonpa. Before my first ride in the front row, I was petrified. Before my second ride in the second row, I was once again terrified. Reflecting on it now (no video or Wikipedia skimming, just thinking), my palms are just a tad shiny. For all the park does (or has historically done) wrong, they sure get the psychological thrills of this ride right, but even without that, the launch and even the airtime pop are unmatched.

#2: Top Thrill Dragster. Another one of the few rides that genuinely intimidates me, not just sporadically, but every time.

#3 is probably Kingda Ka. It may not be the "best"; it's certainly far from the best ride, but the intensity is there.

Another one that was on the edge of too intense for me is Maverick's main launch; anyone agree? Especially on my first-ever riding session; it's not quite the same for me now, but still way up there.

I've been on both Xcelerator (as Knott's is practically a home park), TTD quite often, and Kinda Ka. And for my money, Xcelerator is the most intense launch.

My personal belief is that while it may not break 100mph, it does hit 80+ in a much, much shorter distance. And it's that shorter distance that makes it more intense to me.

While I've never been on Dodonpra, I did get a couple of rides on Hypersonic back in the day, and based on my memory, it probably was a bit more intense than even Xcelerator. But I also think for a similar reason... the distance was very short, comparatively.

I agree in that I actually thought in a way TTD seemed faster to me because not only do you get that initial kick, but then you feel it accelerating, accelerating, accelerating... it's like it goes on for ever. I enjoyed my ride on Dodonpa (only did it once though), but I kind of appreciated the sensation of speed and the acceleration of TTD more.

I know the feeling... Well, sorta

Seems like the intamin & S&S drop towers have a similar deal going on.

The S&S towers give a great pop of ejector air at the top, but it's overwith so quickly, and the rest of the "fall" is so "controlled" that you hardly have time to appreciate it. On the intamin towers, however (2nd gen models), you get a good strong pop of floater air that lasts the whole way down the entire drop, all the while feeling like you're falling faster and faster; gets me every time, always wondering when, or if, the breaks will ever kick in.

The S&S towers (well, most of them), are great fun, but intamin just does it right. I'd imagine a similar statement can be made for their launchers. Can't wait to get out there and try TTD (and possibly an S&S launcher if I make it over seas) some day.