TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

Launch coasters I've ridden and how I'd rate them.

1. Xcelerator (KBF)

2. California Screamin' (DCA)

3. Montezuma's Revenge (KBF)

4. Superman: The Escape (SFMM)

5. The Mummy (USH)

6. Pony Xpress (KBF)

Xcelerator makes KBF not suck, what a perfect ride. Screamin' is the best Disney airtime coaster ever, too bad the music is cheezy. Montezuma's Revenge has a really great launch, but it slows down right afterwards (thankfully, because that loop might hurt otherwise), and the fly-through is awesome. Superman is loud and short, like Danny Devito. The Mummy is only cool because its in the dark, but the launch is weak and its too short. Pony Xpress and its launch are for childrenses, and it hurts my poor Trader Joe's worker back to have that darn rest pushing on it the whole time. Although that could be because Ghostrider had just given me several complimentary spinal adjustments when I rode it.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden several launched coasters:

Viper at SFOG (RIP), Hulk, Volcano, IJ:ST, Hypersonic, V2 (SFDK), Mummy and the best would have to be Volcano. I rode it twice in the same day and it really took my breath away on the first launch both times. In fact I have it on video and my face is all crazy on the first launch. LOL

Haven't ridden any launch coasters, but I feel this point needs to be made:

You cannot black out on a coaster. To black out, for most people, takes about 8 g's. That is, 8 vertical g's. To black out from acceleration would take something like 10+ g's which, to put it simply, would kill you.

Not to mention, it'd probably tear the track apart.

-ACE

You CAN black out on a coaster, probably not a launched coaster. The guy at the Mantis photo hut at Cedar Point said people blackout on it all the time. He said you can see their heads hanging in the photos sometimes. Also, people who are prone to seizures can ride most coasters with no incident, but if they ride one with heavy strobe lighting, they could pass out and/or have a seizure.

Question: Just what is the difference between LIMs and LSMs? And... does anyone think there's a difference in the force of the launch each gives?

(sigh) This is going to be one long rant...

Begin technical rant/

In order to understand the differences between LIM's and LSM's we must first understand how they work. Lets start with LSM's since they're much easier to understand.

LSM's consist of nothing more than a bunch of electromagnets on the track than change polarity several times per second in order to attract and repel magnets on the train's underside, thus pushing it forward. This also why they're called linear synchronous motors; the magnets must be synchronized with the polarity flips in order for the train to launch correctly. LSM's are, as Joey said, more efficient than LIM's, which is one of the reasons this system is used for maglevs rather than LIM's. A Basic Diagram of an LSM system can be found below.

LIM's, on the other hand, are much more difficult to understand, despite being easier to pull off. LIM's use induction in order to launch a train. A LIM system consists of several fins made of copper alloy or aluminum affixed to the train and 2 rows of three-phase coils on each side of the train, one row on each side of the fin (I think). The system works by taking advantage of the same law that allows magnetic brakes to work: Lenz's Law. Lenz's Law states that a changing magnetic field in proximity to a conductive metal will induce an eddy current (circular electric current) within the metal with a magnetic polar orientation opposite that of the changing magnetic field. This means that a repulsive and attractive force will act upon the metal and source of the changing field. With LIM's, the coils produces this changing field. The coils are three-phase, meaning they have three separate AC currents that are off set by 120* going through them, and while I don't totally understand the concept, I do know it creates a magnetic "chaser" effect similar to the chaser lights you might see on a wooden coaster at night. This produces a changing field which induces and eddy current in the metal fins thus creating a magnetic field with a polar orientation opposite the inducing magnetic field's. This creates a repulsive force in the fins that attempts to repel the changing magnetic field, which is in this case the chasing LIM coils. Now it's just a matter of which one has more to brace itself against: the train, which is on a set of well lubricated wheels, or the LIM coils, which are solidly welded to the track? The obvious loser, the train, is thus shot out of the launch section. Of course, the train never matches the speed of the chasing fields, just like if you dropped a ball on a treadmill it wouldn't be shot off the end at the same speed as the belt. This means that, unlike an LSM system, nothing needs to be synchronized when using a LIM system, all there needs to be is a three phase power source, however it also means a tremendous amount of energy is wasted during the launch. But I don't care, because LIM launches are much more intense than LSM launches.

Oh yeah, there's a diagram depicting how a LIM works right after the LSM diagram. My explanation probably has a few factual errors in it, so don't quote me.

Ok, I'll shut up

\End technical rant.

LSM.JPG.79072249e06d659e4ad9a08ae35d17d6.JPG

LSM

LIM.JPG.201303944b8a012264c5bf1503c38eef.JPG

LIM

• 11 months later...
Thunderlooper doesnt use LIMs, it has a weight drop launch system. It shouldnt be possible to black out on a launch either. Blackouts are caused by the blood going from your head and down into your legs. During a launch you are pressed back in your seat, not down, and therefore it shouldnt be possible to experience a blackout during a launch.

The only launched coaster I have ridden is Kanonen, which uses a hydraulic launch system, and I thought it was very intense. Short, but intense.

so not the launch but the first hill the positive g's could possibly pass you out, not likely because it's so short of a force in time, not prolonged.

I'm going to go with Mr Freeze or V2. V2 kinda caught me off gaurd the first time I rode it.

so not the launch but the first hill the positive g's could possibly pass you out, not likely because it's so short of a force in time, not prolonged.

So that tells me I won't black out on Kingda Ka's launch then I suppose.

By the way, Kennyweird may I save your diagrams of the LIM and LSM systems? I love collecting nerdy stuff like that.

I'm going to go with Mr Freeze or V2. V2 kinda caught me off gaurd the first time I rode it.

So that tells me I won't black out on Kingda Ka's launch then I suppose.

By the way, Kennyweird may I save your diagrams of the LIM and LSM systems? I love collecting nerdy stuff like that.

by the way x=5, and um not the push from the LIMs, that's 99% good as long as you haven't had a recent heart attack problems

Speak to any Navy pilot or top fuel dragster driver and they would laugh at us. I have heard Kingda Ka manages 0 - 135 in 3.5 seconds while a carrier launch can be as quick as 0 - 165 in 2 seconds flat. Even more crazy, a real top fuel dragster can do 0 -325+ in 4.5 seconds and 0 - 100 in just .7 seconds. I can only imagine how badly that must hurt. As for my most powerful LIM/LSM launch, definately RnRC. I have also done FoF, Joker's Jinx, and California Screamin but those feel weak compared to the Disney coaster. Maybe I'm just weird like that? Also, Hypersonic was the most powerful launch I ever experienced.

And all this talk of passing out on rides... I black out on Goliath @ SFMM in the final helix probably 1 out of 3 times I ride it.

Golaith basically gets everyone unless you're either a pilot or just really fit. Goliath's brother Titan even had to give me a trip to the first aid room.

Anyways back on topic. I guess pretty much all Premier Launchers are just as forceful. Does anyone know whether Intamin LIMs or Premier LIMS are stronger? Except Backlot Stunt Coaster of course because it's marketed as more "family friendly".