TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

I would have to agree, Volcano, WT, and Maverick. I love Mavericks launch...especially when everything in the tunnel is working.

I did have a question though, something that has been bothering me for awhile now. A few years ago I noticed what looked like LSM's on Rock N' Roller coaster, yet a a catch car comes flying back after launching each train. I always assumed it was hydraulics of some sort, but then noticed the white bars. I originally thought LSM and LIM worked similar. Why utilize the catch car with the LSMs? I thought those eliminate the need for something having to actually attach to the train to launch it. I hope my question is clear enough, thank you!

I suppose it was just Vekoma being Vekoma...but yes, there is a catchcar that is launched by LSMs. It's basically just unnecessary moving parts.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top for me is Storm Runner. I was surprised how much more forceful it was than Dragster.

Runner ups:

Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Flight of Fear (KI and KD)

Nothing else really sticks as forceful for me. I only rode Volcano once, and can't remember it to the fullest. I'd love to go back and try it again along with Intimidator which I haven't done yet.

I was going to list Storm Runner too, when I double-checked and realized that it is actually hydraulically launched rather than a LIM. Storm Runner does pack quite a bit of a punch and that's why - it is a hydraulic launch like Xcelerator at KBF in that regard.

WHAT IS TEST TRACK! DOES IT COUNT!

To my knowledge the Test Track vehicles (Soon to be Radiator Springs Racers as well) are powered by their own DC motor which gets power from a bus-bar underneath the track.

sort of surprised to see so many people listing Volcano -- Hypersonic XLC's launch was far more forceful. higher top speed with a shorter launch (granted it was compressed air, not LIM).

Exactly, we're talking about LIM launches, not Pneumatic.

Top two LIM launches for me would probably be Volcano, The Blast Coaster followed by California Screamin'. If you include LSM, however, Maverick beats both of those. In general, I find Intamin's magnetic launch coasters are generally more forceful than Premier's, however Superman: Escape from Krypton is the biggest exception to that (weakest magnetic launch in my experience, but probably partly because you are launched backwards).

For all launches, Xcelerator wins, but it is hydraulic and doesn't count for this thread.

^SEFK was the first of any kind, so it's understandable that it wouldn't be taken to the extremes, but in general Intamin tends to make things much more intense.

I think in this case, Intamin launches tend to be better because the way it is set up, there is part of the rotor on all sides of the stator, so there is much less wasted energy, whereas Premiere rides have a single fin between two magnets, which means the energy isn't used as efficiently. Just my observations...

Volcano at KD is definitely intense. I've yet to go to Dorney Park, seeing as Possessed seems to be another high choice.

^ From what I can recall, Volcano's is stronger. Possessed is still great fun, but it doesn't quite kick you back into the seat like Volcano does.

So I would have to agree with some of the others-- FoF and Volcano are the strongest that I've experienced.

For Volcano, are we talking the second launch after the first turn, right before you go into the mountain? I just wondered because I didn't think the first launch was very intense at all...

Other than that, I think the Flight of Fears are the most intense I've felt, but again it's probably the illusion of flying out of the station and into a tunnel. The Intamin Impulse coasters are close behind, though.