TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Discovery Series Trailer

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and it has been a long time, since Canada got any of the US-produced specials on coasters, etc.

And when we do, they're (usually) hardly advertised at all up here - so missing any of them is a constant piss-off. My only past experience from trying to catch these things on TV, is remembering that they run them most-often, around the time that (most) US parks are about to open for their respective season(s). Which means May, near or around Memorial Day Weekend...

So thankyou for keeping everybody up-to-date about what's happening with this special. Much appreciated.

Not working for me either (Firefox). Tried to see if it was in the link below that but they want you to pay for stuff in their broadband area and the only thing related to the show is a teaser for the show in general, not the particular episode.

Works for me. I just went to the broadband site and searched "Building The Biggest"

Now Im confused.

It says Wednesday's at 10. So dose each episode have a specific theme to it? For example, one 30 minute episode would be on The Voyage, and next weeks new episode would all be on pipeline for 30 minutes. Or would it be all of those, spread out threw the entire series?

Yea, Im confused.

Ok,

It's a 6 part series. Each programme is an hour long documentary on a different engineering subject... Each programme is a standalone film and there is no overlap between the episodes

FYI Here's the full rundown of the series

Episode 1 Building the Biggest - Diamond Hunters

With winter approaching fast the prospectors are in a race to reach their goal. The location, close to the Arctic circle is barren and inhospitable. Above ground there is nothing but the occasional herd of migrating caribou, the odd grizzly bear and a scattering of local inhabitants scraping a living off the land. But all that changes below ground where our prospectors believe there are millions of dollars worth of diamonds. If they are right, this wasteland could become one of the richest pieces of real estate on the planet. All they have to do is claim the land, find the seam of gems, extract samples, get them tested and start building a mine. Sounds easy, but with temperatures about to drop to minus 50 at any moment and investors getting twitchy, this is quite literally a race against time. Their hunt on the surface of the land is contrasted with two mines already hitting paydirt- the one near Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories that started it all and another almost completed in Nunavut, where they are digging deep in the hopes of hauling out millions of dollars in diamonds. The ever changing landscape will reflect the tension, drama, conflict, disappointment and euphoria which are an ever present part of hunting for diamonds.

Episode 2 Building the Biggest - Pipes

The U.K. is running out of gas at an alarming rate and the solution lies deep beneath the Norwegian Sea. One kilometer below the sea bed they have discovered enough gas to supply the UK for the next 30 years. But to get the gas to Britain, you have to sink huge drills and lay a massive 1200 km pipe that will survive the rocky terrain of the sea bed. It takes 1000 men with the stamina and skill to endure the rough waters of one of the most unforgiving seas on the planet. The schedule is relentless, and as horrendous weather conditions make the job next to impossible and food starts to run out on the ship, the crew begin to get twitchy.

Episode 3 Building the Biggest - NASA

This is the story of the colossal effort involved in building the biggest human-made structure in space, the International Space Station. The combined person power that has gone into building, launching and in-space assembly of the Space Station to date represents the biggest international construction project in history. A massive undertaking, sixteen nations have come together to build this cosmic outpost. Built across the globe, most of the elements that make up the space station rely on NASA's Space Shuttle for a ride into space. So when the shuttle fleet was grounded in 2003 following the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, many of the station components due for launch were stuck on earth. In July 2005, the launch of Space Shuttle Discovery heralded the return to flight for the shuttle fleet. In this film we travel to Holland, Germany, Italy, Moscow, Canada, America and outer space as the pieces of this truly international jigsaw take shape and prepare to blast off, boldly crossing the final frontier.

Episode 4 Building the Biggest - Underground

Think New York, think Paris, London, Los Angeles, Amsterdam and Moscow. Each a thriving metropolis and home to millions. Each commuting centres for industrial and financial operators. Each systematically and unstoppably grinding towards gridlock. One of many common denominators in these cultural cosmopolitan cities are the worlds below their feet, their underground rail networks, their subways. Dank, depressing warrens of migrating humans, or the future for a better way of life above ground? After decades of moving around in intersecting tubes, the jury is still out. But for one city the future is looking exceedingly bright. If you take all the best bits from undergrounds around the world, discard everything that does not work and then throw millions of dollars into further design and construction, then you have the project that has every Singaporean drooling over their dim sum - The Singapore Circle, one of the biggest and certainly best underground railways in the world. In this film we witness the realization of this utopian vision under construction. The spectacle is addictively fascinating. That’s because the mission is fraught with difficulties. Can the team follow through on Lee Kuan Yew’s vision? We also drop in on another great feat of underground construction: Amsterdams North-South line. This historic city is finally getting a Metro Line extension. As it turns out, the planners and construction teams would have had an easier time sending a rocket to the moon.

Episode 5 Building the Biggest - Rollercoasters

Ever since the American Rosenthal brothers built the Cyclone in 1926, roller coasters have held a terrifying fascination for generations of thrill seekers. The Cyclone quickly became a Brooklyn icon, but in the 1950s families began to abandon the city for the suburbs and the demise of Coney Island mirrored the move from wood to steel in the search for the ultimate gravity defying roller coaster ride. Until now - 50 years later, the wooden coaster is being reborn. "Woodies" offer a very different quality of ride that’s enhanced by a physiological induction of fear. This episode joins the race to build the most terrifying ride, travelling to Indiana, Kentucky and New Jersey where three of the biggest, fastest and tallest wooden roller coasters are under construction. Watch as engineers calculate the winning formula to enthrall, thrill and terrify.

Episode 6 Building the Biggest - Railway

The west coast main line railway between London and Scotland is one of the busiest in the world. Millions of people regularly commute on new state-of-the-art trains running on century-old tracks. Watch as this episode follows the replacement of the vintage rail line, section by section, up and down the length of the country. At US$14million and with 60 million hours already worked it's the largest current engineering project in Europe. As the line is still in operation, this mammoth engineering feat has to happen over the weekends. Every Friday night, 10,000 workers and millions of dollars worth of machinery roll onto the tracks in a race to get the job done to in time to hand the line back for the Monday morning commuters.

Is there any chance of a series of thrill ride shows? I mean it seems it would be easy to create a series on different companies and projects that they are working on for the future. I seem to remember there was a hour program on Arrow at one point and they were highlighting the creation of the ultimately unbuilt pipeline coaster. That was a really fun show to watch.

I mean heck those S&S guys in Utah always have some crazy stuff going on(heck that boomer or whatever they call the 400ft drop ride and I wonder what they did with the Arrowbatic ideas)... What about profiling some of the smaller manufacturers of coasters and some of the crazy new designs like the one going in Walibi Belgium. I think we are about to hit a new period of crazy designs because parks just aren't willing to park with the money to build the blockbuster skyscraping coasters now.

I guess I am really happy to get a new show but I would love to see some more consistent coverage of coasters as they are one of the few engineering items that are intended to provide a thrill instead of just a service. I would love to see more of what goes into the projects now that bigger isn't the plan. It should allow smaller manufacturers to get some spotlight too...

BTW anyone know what Setpoint is doing these days?

Um, I realize this is waaaaaay beyond probability but -

Has anybody ever considered an All Theme park / Amusement Center / Roller Coaster & Rides .... Cable Channel?

Or a once-a-week series on travelling to a specific park(s) and highlighting

it's particular known 'signature' attractions, etc. And having details about general hours, tix prices, etc.

And this would be about parks around the world - not just mainly in the USA.

Altho there could always be that US Amusement/Theme Park weekly show too, lol.

I think we just need a TPR video podcast... I mean how cool would it be if Robb and Elissa made a good MPEG4 video at 320x240 (yes QT would likely be required but it would be nice and small) with a recap of the latest trip that automatically downloaded to your computer and iPod? Heck it could be simple fun and only show portions of POVs if that was a concern.

We need some PodSize POVs... VideoPodcasts rock even on a computer... iTunes FOREVER!!!

^ I'm sure Robb & Elissa will be thrilled that we're all planning and plotting their Next Big Thing at TPR, heh heh.

The R&E TPRcast - Rockin'&Rollin'Atcha!