TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 3rd Annual Coaster Video Contest!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name of the artist is Prince and the song is called "Every Day Is A Winding Road", which was written and originally recorded by Sheryl Crow. The version in the video is from the Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic album.

What a great contest this year! Let's not forget to thank Robb and Elissa for creating and maintaining the BEST amusement park fan sight on the WWW. Period.

I'm still in the process of watching all the videos (the second time through) and will be posting a list of my favorites and critiques soon. Congrats to everyone who got chosen. Keep up the good work, and once again...

THANKS ROBB AND ELISSA, we love you.

^^What if you were #26?

Boy, after watching the videos, I thought, "OMG, is this the week of annoying music?" I had a lot of trouble watching the Fancyworld video because the music was pretty annoying. Some of the shots in the video were "What am I supposed to be looking at?" It had some neat shots of G5 though. Where do I get that dolphin vehicle that the one girl was riding?

The PCW video was pretty good. It really showed how crappy the park was! I wish there was more video of the purse-holding dude. I liked the Youiriland video because it was pretty quirky. Cedar Point video was pretty interesting with the guy trying to outrace TTD, but the music was bordering on annoying. The "Little Coaster Season" video had a lot of good video of parks and coasters, but I started to become bored about 3 minutes in.

My favorite video is the "My Humps" video. The most interesting part was the "blended POV" section, where it jumps from one POV shot of a coaster to another.

^ You should probably get him a

"Souvenir Queen's Mini-Purse" on the UK Tour, if they make such a thing for tourists.

Of course they don't... yesssss?

Congrats on making it to the Top 26, Paul!

GO - CANADA - GO

In Pamela's video it showed the logo of Lagoon. But yet I don't think I saw any of the rides from Lagoon? Or did I miss them? Just curious, always cool to see my wonderful home park.

Wow, lots of long videos this week (three over five minutes I think)!

Morgan O'Brien's "Yomiuriland"

To be honest, this one struck me as a little blasse. It was more a home video with music rather than a music video, and I thought the camerawork and editing was comparatively poor.

I did enjoy the various examples of poster molesting, even if it was rather... disturbing. Some nice examples of those rideable giant mechanimals and stuff. Unfortunately, the music wasn't to my tastes either.

Martin Hore's "Janfusun Fancyworld"

Another video that didn't stand out, this was still a nice vid that shows a park not many people have seen before. The music choice is better (I know; subjective, but The Used >> Prince in my book), and the shots, while basic pans, do show off the park pretty well. G5 looks like a pretty cool (though ridiculously brief) coaster whose location helps a LOT. The colors in the park, though, are pretty wacky. Did Knott's Berry Farm buy the park out? I do like the parts where you synched the dive machine to drop just as the music hits a high, and although there didn't seem to be a lot of music synchronization aside from that, this certainly wasn't a bad video.

Colin Coon's "Cedar Point"

I'm probably one of the few people I know who enjoy System of a Down. I shouldn't, but their music is weirdly addicting.

Anyway, this was a pretty neat video, well edited, well filmed, with a good mixture of coaster and home video. I though the coaster squeals matched with the music's squeals were pretty cool, and it's pretty evident you did put thought into this. Plus, Cedar Point's a pretty cool park. The raw audio came off a bit overwhelming at some points, but that's not a big deal. This would be one of my favorites from this round.

Paul Fowler's "Paramount's Canada's Wonderland"

Well, that's certainly the most homoerotic start to a music video... ever. This one started off a little shaky with long shots that didn't seem to match the music and audio that was a little too loud, but it balanced out nicely with a great variety of various coasters and rides from the park. PCW sort of looks like Canada's SFMM to me, except a helluva lot more flats, and seems pretty nice. The various skits were an entertaining touch as well. Again, nothing here really stands out, but it's a great, solid video. Well done!

Jarvis Morant's "My Hump"

Oh man, how I despise this song! And yet this was my favorite video from this week's batch, and one of my favorites of the contest! I took one look at the song choice and decided you had to be using this for comedic effect (well, in addition to your liking the song). So I expected a video with silliness, and you certainly didn't disappoint. In addition to a well edited and mixed video with great transitions and synchs and clips that matched the lyrics, this vid was just zany. In a great way.

It was a splendid mix of coaster and park-going footage, and it's only fitting that it featured a lot of "humps" of its own. HHN footage was greatly appreciated, as were the constant "Check it out"s and stuff. My only negative comment would be I wish I could hear what you were saying in that series where you filmed yourself talking. Other than that, it perfectly captures the fun in theme parking and seems to give a pretty cool peak into your personality, which I must say, is hilariously entertaining.

Pamela Lytle's "Little Coaster Season 2005"

I wish I could call that a "little" coaster season.

Another nice video showing a variety of parks. I didn't see a lot that stood out, but the cinematography and editing was solid (liked the transition after you have the stuffed dragon "swallow" the camera), and the footage was definitely nice. Again, the song here didn't thrill me as much, but it wasn't the worst either. I liked the shots at the smaller parks. Definitely captured the cozy atmosphere. So again, great job!

MY UNOFFICIAL FINAL RANKINGS:

1. Paul Ruiz De Miquel - "Parque de Attactiones"

2. Julian Johnson - "Don't Look Down 2005"

3. Tom Mueller - "Port Aventura Video"

4. Jarvis Hayes - "My Humps"

5. Justin Saxe - "Silverwood"

6. Nicolas Chavance - "Efteling"

7. Jonathan Hawkins - "Midwest Conquest"

8. Lars & Cornelia Theissen - "Coaster Season 2005"

9. Kevin Gillian - "What We Learned on Vacation"

10. Mark Owens - "Busch Gardens Tampa and Cypress Gardens"

11. Erik Johnson - "Expedition Everest"

12. Paul Fowler - "Paramount's Canada's Wonderland"

13. Dennis 'Park Junkie' Kolodzeizik - "Slagharen"

14. Dan & Jackie Collison - "EPCOT"

15. Colin Coon - "Cedar Point"

16. Phil Hart - "Carowinds" or "How to Use Your Camera"

17. Pamela Lytle - "Little Coaster Season 2005"

18. Nick Collins - "USA Coaster Trip"

19. Blake Fawley - "Goat Encounter"

20. Jim Williams - "Six Flags Magic Mountain December 2005"

21. Martin Hore - "Janfusun Fancyworld"

22. Barry Hom - "FLCC at Busch Gardens Tampa"

23. Connor Thompson - "Magic Springs"

24. Dave Arnold - "Fantazyland - Alexandria, Egypt"

25. Morgan O'Brien - "Yomiuriland"

I'd say the top four would be the main competitors for me when I vote for best video (well, actually, I'd probably vote for my own, but who wouldn't?). These were all enjoyable vids that ranged from nice to mostly solid to amazing. It's definitely cool to see so many people share their passion, and I look forward to the voting and to next year's contest as well!

(more comments on my vid would be appreciated as well )

Paul Fowler's "Paramount's Canada's Wonderland"

Well, that's certainly the most homoerotic start to a music video... ever. This one started off a little shaky with long shots that didn't seem to match the music and audio that was a little too loud, but it balanced out nicely with a great variety of various coasters and rides from the park. PCW sort of looks like Canada's SFMM to me, except a helluva lot more flats, and seems pretty nice. The various skits were an entertaining touch as well. Again, nothing here really stands out, but it's a great, solid video. Well done!

Thanks for the nice comments.

Actually your comments about the editing match my own nit picks. The original PCW video I made was actually even longer, but I had to cut it down to make it under the 5 minutes. That's why it kind of seems a bit out of place in spots. The full video is actually posted in the video forum.

I had to laugh at the homoerotic comment. Not really what I was going for, but I got a good laugh out of that.

[quote name="BarryH

My favorite video is the "My Humps" video. The most interesting part was the "blended POV" section' date=' where it jumps from one POV shot of a coaster to another.[/quote]

Ths was my fav too, but didn't he post it back last year.............

C,mon Jarmour there is more in you than an old vid..............

Well, what else do you call two men tightly gripping a third guy in hopes of getting really, really wet, especially since they're possibly feeling hot and sweaty??

Yeah, I agree. That looked pretty gay. Maybe gay with a small "g," but at least it has homoerotic overtones.

My favorite video is the "My Humps" video. The most interesting part was the "blended POV" section, where it jumps from one POV shot of a coaster to another.

Ths was my fav too, but didn't he post it back last year.............

C,mon Jarmour there is more in you than an old vid..............

I did post a very similar video to it but I did some changes to make it even better...

Jarvis "good, old vid beats a new crappy one anyday" Morant!

Pamela Lytle's "Little Coaster Season 2005"

I wish I could call that a "little" coaster season.

Another nice video showing a variety of parks. I didn't see a lot that stood out, but the cinematography and editing was solid (liked the transition after you have the stuffed dragon "swallow" the camera), and the footage was definitely nice. Again, the song here didn't thrill me as much, but it wasn't the worst either. I liked the shots at the smaller parks. Definitely captured the cozy atmosphere. So again, great job!

Thank you very much for your commentary! This is the first video I did. My goal last year was to shoot a lot of footage to make a video to enter in this contest. At the end of the season, I had so much footage, I decided to make a DVD. (Insert shameless plug coming up here) DVD's are $5.00

The parks on it are

1) Opening Segment (what I submitted for the contest)

2) Islands of Adventure / Universal Studios Florida

3) Sea World Florida / Busch Gardens Tampa

4) Williams Grove / Dorney Park

5) Holiday World

6) Kennywood

7) Knoebles / Phoenix Phall Phunfest

8 Lagoon Park - Utah

Bonus Video:

9) Paramount's Kings Island Media Day for The Italian Job Stunt Track

Also, my DVD is "family friendly" ie no curse words, or songs with foul or objectionable language.

If anyone is interested, PM / contact me. I've been meaning to put them up for sale on a website, but haven't had time. Also, I can take Paypal for the $5.00.

Thanks!

Pam

In Pamela's video it showed the logo of Lagoon. But yet I don't think I saw any of the rides from Lagoon? Or did I miss them? Just curious, always cool to see my wonderful home park.

Coulda sworn I used footage from each park I went to in the video....now I have to go back and look!

I did make a short segment on Lagoon park on my DVD. See above post for info.

Pamela

Of the last group Jarvis' video stood out from the rest for me even though I despise that song it worked well for the video.

After re-watching all of the videos I had set aside as possible top 5 choices only 2 really stand out as definite finalists for me.

#1 Julian Johnson's " Don't Look Down 2005"

Again, a video with a song I thought was terrible, but, totally worked! I feel this is the stand out of all 26 finalist. Nothing in this video was a negative for me so it is my #1.

#2. Paul Ruiz De Miguel's "Parque De Attactiones"

Another stand-out from the final 26. Great editing and the Intamin Drop Tower flick was awesome. Again really nothing negative to say about this one. Bonus points for the line jumping ending!

After those 2 I have a harder time choosing a final 3. As of now I've narrowed it to 8 videos that I will have to watch a few more times in order to decide. They are (in no particular order).....

Kevin Gillan's "what We Learned On Vacation"

I honestly thought the beginning took away from the video. It was certainly original but just didn't fit IMO. As for the video that followed, I really enjoyed it. Solid editing and some really great shots of some really great coasters. Upbeat and well paced. An overall solid video.

Mark Owens' "Bush Gardens/Cypress Gardens"

This is one of those videos that I would honestly say was just average when it came to overall quality in editing and filming but I couldn't help but have fun watching it. You could really tell that you guys were having a great time and the video was just a fun video to watch. Simple as that.

Tom Muller's "Port Adventure"

A very solid video that will most likely make my top 5. Very good editing and a good song choice. This one also had a nice element of "fun" to it. My only knock on this one is that it really didn't have anything that stood out in it for me. A very basic coaster video that was very well done.

Nicolas Chavance's "Efteling"

As others have already stated it was almost like watching a short film. #1 video of the group for cinematography. Not a #1 video for me personally simply because of the slower pace and really just overall tone and feel of the video. Excellent video but just the opposite of Mark Owens Busch Gardens video for me in that it was extremely well done but just didn't have that certain feel that hit home for me on a personal level.

Jonathan Hawkins' "Midwest Conquest"

I have seen many of Johnathan's videos over the last couple years and this ones as good as any I've seen him do. One thing I like about all of Johnathan's video's is his variety in music choices. It is evident that he spends a lot of time in choosing the right song and this video is no exception. Like some of my other top choices it probably isn't the best in overall quality but after watching you are left with no doubt that those Rideworld guys (and girls) know how to have fun. also, it probably doesn't hurt that I have met several of the people in this video.

Albert Lam's "Knott's Halloween Haunt"

A very well paced tightly edited video. Definitely captures the feel of this great event. The song choice was also a good fit. One of the bad things about this video is the fact that it is filmed entirely in the dark and many of the shots are hard to see. Some of that, I'm sure, is because we are viewing it on a computer and it would look much better in a TV set. Also I would have liked to see a little more ride footage even though I know it was the haunt event that was the focus of the video.

Lars & Cornelias Theissen's "Coaster Season 2005"

Yet another one of those videos I just really had fun watching. Probably won't quite end up in my final top 5 but a fun video none the less.

Jarmor Morant's "My Hump"

I HATE THAT SONG! Jarmor did a great job though and it did fit. Another well edited video and I really liked the POV transitions from one ride to another. Very solid.

So that's my top ten. I honestly would put my own Silverwood video at about number 4 or 5, but, I am obviously a little biased with that one. Its been a great contest and I'm just happy I was able to be a part of it. Videos are so subjective depending on what you like and the above comments were simply my own opinion and really mean nothing. I really don't feel there was a "bad" video in the bunch.

Justin "let the voting begin" Saxe

Colin Coon's "Cedar Point"

I'm probably one of the few people I know who enjoy System of a Down. I shouldn't, but their music is weirdly addicting.

Anyway, this was a pretty neat video, well edited, well filmed, with a good mixture of coaster and home video. I though the coaster squeals matched with the music's squeals were pretty cool, and it's pretty evident you did put thought into this. Plus, Cedar Point's a pretty cool park. The raw audio came off a bit overwhelming at some points, but that's not a big deal. This would be one of my favorites from this round.

Thank you for the advice/rate! That video was made back an August, but I KNOW I've improved on my editing skills sence then. I couldent quite figure out how to get the audio right back then, as I just increased the raw audio instead of decreasing the actuial song. One last thing, that guy racing TTD was yours truly.

Colin"Thinks that my WDW video was better, but hey Im happy I made it into the contest!"C

My only negative comment would be I wish I could hear what you were saying in that series where you filmed yourself talking.

I thought that was done perfectly. Jarvis' is my favorite of the contest, mostly due to sure-handed, offbeat choices like that one.

Although the song is terrible, I've decided to believe that its use is ironic.

The rest of my top four:

Julian Johnson's Don't Look Down

Justin Saxe's Silverwood

Nick Collin's USA Trip