TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kingda Ka

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think we all have heard of Kingda Ka; if you haven't: you should get off this site right now!

ps- you spelled the topic wrong (and your member name)

I have heard of Kingda Ka fyi, and I know I spelt my member name wrong. I didn't mean too .

You're so hurtful!!

I'll be riding it in August! 8)

But there will be major downtime.

How can you automatically assume there will be major downtime? This is the second Strata Rocket, and the sixth rocket coaster INTAMIN has built. Don't you think they learned from the others they've built already?

It's like looking at Wicked Twister before it opened and saying "it's only going to run at half capacity the first season, because Volcano: The Blast Coaster only ran at half capacity the first season".

They do have multiple loading stations on TTD...that one station services TWO trains. Plus it unloads 2 trains at the same time its loading 2. Hows that slow?

TTD has some of the fastest moving lines at CP, period. It kills MF (because of the seat belt crap) and even moves faster than Raptor at times.

If Im not mistaken, KK has that one single dual station where they will load and unload. If thats so, thats not going to be as effecient as Dragster. Also look at capacity as a whole. KK will run 4 trains, Dragster runs 5. And when they run 5, its a SMOOTH 5. Its when CP tries to run 6 that it bogs down, its just not realistic in terms of people needing to be cared for every step of the way.

My money will be on KK having slightly poorer capacity, but I hope less downtime. As Robb said thogh, the smaller rockets arent in the same class and have had FAR less downtime. This is the only ride on scale with Dragster so its techincally only their 2nd rocket of this magnitude. Its a whole nother ball game with cables this long, motors this big and launches that long.

like how many times did the cable snap on TTD?quote]

Only one that I know of, and that was the infamous "facial piercing" incident.

The longest downtime for TTD was caused by contaminated hydraulic fluid which caused damage to the lauch mechanism (or some similar techno jargon).

I don't think that Kingda will have nearly as many problems as TTD did it's opening year, but to argue that the double-station will increase capacity is utter lunacy. I have watched on numerous occasions where X-flight (SFWoA) had both sides of the station open, but still only staffed enough people for one side. This made the capacity even worse, as the crew had to go back and forth between sides. Until the flags proves to me otherwise, I will expect the same.

sixflags_sign.jpg.cdc87e06440886540734952eef7ec98b.jpg

This has been passed around so long, I don't even know who to give credit to.

^^LOL! I had totally forgotten about that picture!!! It's so awesome! I guess it still says a lot that with all those rides closed they actually still probably had about 15 open! Which is still more than some SF parks!

Elissa " " Alvey

like how many times did the cable snap on TTD?quote]

Only one that I know of, and that was the infamous "facial piercing" incident.

The longest downtime for TTD was caused by contaminated hydraulic fluid which caused damage to the lauch mechanism (or some similar techno jargon).

Yeah. When I was there, it seemed like they were always dickin' around with the mechanism that raised and lowered the magnetic braking fins, and that's a hydraulics problem, right?

No. The main hydraulics issue was within the motor itself. It dealt with the hydraulics that were presurizing the nitrogen into its containers.

The problem you see most often is the pnuematic /hydraulic (cant tell, they hiss like pnuematic but could be hydraulic + i remember reading Dave Althoff talking about air at one point in dealing with the Intamin brake systems) arms used to push and pull the brake fins up and down. They lose anywhere from 10-60 minutes per incident. I dont think that KK will be ANY differnet here. Theres not much to those systems so chances are, there wasnt much to improve upon.

But the dual station the way they chose is going to be crap IMO. I think the dual loading and dual unloading single file is far more effective.

Well, I know the ones on SROS were air, but they used crappy hosing too. He checked the ones on MF and they used a wire mesh hose + they had a counter-weight system inplace I believe.

http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/sros.html

" Third, the cylinders operating the brakes are much larger than the ones on the Darien Lake ride, and are connected to the air supply conduits via large hoses with braided covers, not the thin plastic hoses seen in the Darien Lake photos above. Next time I go to Cedar Point I'll take a camera and see if I can get some decent photos of this mechanism. My suspicion is that the cylinders used on Millennium Force may be spring-return cylinders rather than double-action cylinders, but that is mere guesswork on my part."

The word hydraulic does not show up on that whole page.

However, this isnt to say that the rocket coaster ones arent different, they very well could be. But they seem to be the same. They give the same hiss as the ones on MF when they open up to let a train in. However, I can be very wrong in this too. I dont work for Intamin, I only speculate

Here's 4 more pics for your viewing pleasure.

--Davon "I wish I could ride this beast" Dorsey

1512992540_KingdaKa4.jpg.e1c354cb331b6bc6701404a326dfc044.jpg

Super uber cool TTD/Storm Runner looking trains.

1415244886_KingdaKa3.jpg.e0238a87a2018beba339716d8c2183e7.jpg

View from launch.(sorta)

170687702_KingdaKa2.jpg.167d3aca543ac2b124e5eedb71e62b4a.jpg

Both 90 AND 270 degree twists!

1362838107_KingdaKa.jpg.80e8836f1919ba14768b71811a7bd2b6.jpg

Lookin' up!

However, this isnt to say that the rocket coaster ones arent different, they very well could be. But they seem to be the same. They give the same hiss as the ones on MF when they open up to let a train in. However, I can be very wrong in this too. I dont work for Intamin, I only speculate

We are kind of both right. The ones on the launch (that prevent a rollback train from smashing the next in line) are hydraulic, while the ones before the exit are pnuematic. And they do make the hiss sounds.

You really should credit the place you leeched the pictures from. They are all from the park's website, BTW.

I should shouldn't I?

OK. I give credit to sixflags.com for these awesome photos.

^There ya go.

--Davon "no, I don't steal" Dorsey