TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Best. Coaster. Ever." Round 1

All right everyone. After hearing tens, even hundreds, of roller coasters get called "the best coaster ever", I've decided to create a little tournament to settle this matter.

I've chosen 64 coasters, many of which I have heard called "The best ever" at least once on the web, and ranked them 1 to 8 in each division according to manufacturer based on the reviews and how I've reacted to them. Note, however, that I have not ridden them all, so please do not take the seeding personally if a coaster you like a lot has a low seed number.

Each day, vote for the coaster you think is better, out of the two given. For example, the first day it is run, you would vote for whether you think Dueling Dragons or Air is a better ride. Do not post a vote for anything other than the one that I tell you to. Try to post not only your choice, but also reasons for why you think it is a better ride. At the end of each day, the coaster with more posts moves to the next round, while the one with less will get eliminated. In case you are not sure how a coaster looks, I will post pictures of each when it is time to vote.

At the end of each round, I will create a new topic to make navigation a little easier, and to remind you how the pairings stand. The last coaster remaining is, according to TPR Forum Members, the "Best. Coaster. Ever."

Here are the tournament pairings:

B&M Division A

#1 Dueling Dragons VS #8 Air

#4 Montu VS #5 Nemesis Inferno

#3 Superman Krypton Coaster VS #6 Hydra The Revenge

#2 Incredible Hulk VS #7 Silver Star

B&M Division B

#1 Nemesis VS #8 Batman: The Dark Knight

#4 Raptor VS #5 Superman Ultimate Flight

#3 Riddler’s Revenge VS #6 Talon

#2 Nitro VS #7 Silver Bullet

Intamin Division A

#1 Expedition GeForce VS #8 La Vibora

#4 Wicked Twister VS #5 Colossus

#3 Xcellerator VS #6 Shockwave

#2 Kingda Ka VS #7 Bobbaan

Intamin Division B

#1 Superman Ride of Steel VS #8 Disaster Transport

#4 Volcano-The Blast Coaster VS #5 Tornado

#3 Storm Runner VS #6 Rita: Queen of Speed

#2 Millennium Force VS #7 California Screamin’

Woodie Division

#1 Balder VS #8 Judge Roy Scream

#4 Raven VS #5 Ghostrider

#3 Tonnerre de Zeus VS #6 Gwazi

#2 Thunderhead VS #7 Mean Streak

Arrow Division

#1 X VS #8 Python

#4 Vortex VS #5 Top Gun

#3 Viper VS #6 Demon

#2 Magnum XL-200 VS #7 Vampire

Vekoma Division

#1 Jubilee Odyssey VS #8 Goudurix

#4 Invertigo VS #5 Boomerang

#3 Rock ‘n Roller Coaster VS #6 Mind Eraser

#2 Deja Vu VS #7 Superwirbel

Misc. Division

#1 Hypersonic XLC VS #8 Scorpion

#4 Flight of Fear VS #5 Mindbender

#3 Montezooma’s Revenge VS #6 Ultra Twister

#2 Goliath VS #7 Space Mountain

So today, decide on Dueling Dragons at IOA or Air at Alton Towers. Which one is better, out of those two?

1430407054_air41.jpg.ae47d8e645bd3272f6cae6f347a1d4c3.jpg

#8 Air at Alton Towers

1980115203_dueling-dragons251.jpg.8c6a263690660aec5758af01405711d7.jpg

#1 Dueling Dragons at Islands of Adventure

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this thread is pointless. For one, in order to judge the best once and for all everyone would have to have ridden all these rides. I doubt there are many here who have. They would also have to agree on what makes a coaster the “Best”. People have different likes and dislikes on what makes a coaster good. This question will never be settled.

B&M Division A

#1 Dueling Dragons

#2 Incredible Hulk

B&M Division B

#4 Raptor

Intamin Division A

#4 Wicked Twister

Intamin Division B

#8 Disaster Transport

#3 Storm Runner

#2 Millennium Force

Woodie Division

#7 Mean Streak

(WHY ARENT HP WILDCAT AND CYCLOPS LISTED?)

Arrow Division

#4 Vortex (FTW!)

#2 Magnum XL-200

Vekoma Division

#4 Invertigo

#6 Mind Eraser

Misc. Division

#4 Flight of Fear

Woodie Division

#1 Balder VS #8 Judge Roy Scream

#4 Raven VS #5 Ghostrider

#3 Tonnerre de Zeus VS #6 Gwazi

#2 Thunderhead VS #7 Mean Streak

nice selection on the best woodies.

who has ever accused Judge Roy Scream, Gwazi or MEAN STREAK of ever being the best

I'm gonna echo a lot of feelings in this thread, because I think they need repeating.

You can't compare roller coasters just by putting in group stages like the World Cup.

You have to judge a coaster on it's own merits against all other coasters, not just a straight fight between one and another.

It's common knowledge that everyone has their own views on what rides are best, regardless of what Generic Poll 101 says.

You're comparing Dueling Dragons to Air? Sorry but they are too completely different concepts.

Dueling Dragons is meant to give that out of control feeling with the near misses and cool themeing.

Air is the feeling of flight. (I think it does it very well!) It's an incredibly relaxing ride and often shunned harshly I feel.

There is no correct or wrong answer to which coaster is the best. Everyone has different opinions so it totally depends on who you ask.

That's right. And because of that, I'm going the democratic way...that is, see which one the MAJORITY thinks is better...of the people here.

That first matchup was a no-brainer for me. How about these two? Which of these two do you guys like better?

699425496_nemesis-inferno191.jpg.c803b813069d5fc17a7220fd8c0cab0b.jpg

#5 Nemesis Inferno

1524495249_montu361.jpg.cdc8b77f97e38aa1a3ad7a85dd12d18a.jpg

#4 Montu

^ Sigh...I suppose it keeps you occupied, but.. It really seems like lately, as the membership of TPR has grown, the number of statistically meaningless polls has metastasized.

Says here that your coaster count is 97. The number of coasters in your poll is 72. Might we assume that you've ridden all the coasters you've listed, in which case it's hardly a comprehensive, unbiased poll? Or that you haven't ridden all of them, in which case you yourself (like me, BTW) can't presume to vote meaningfully on all the matchups you've proposed?

I've decided to create a little tournament to settle this matter.

and on top of what everyone else is saying about the uselessness of this thread.

this matter is settled every year by Mitch's poll

and I vote for Hmmm - I hate vowels