TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Rollercoaster elements have become outdated?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the trick track stuff that CCI was throwing on everything in the late 90's.... and any kind of straight track for that matter (Morgan's), Great Bear etc.

I personally love Cobra rolls as long as they are FAST and have "the Whip" but slow Cobra rolls do suck.

To me Chang's and Mantis' Inclined loops (Riddler's is too big and slow), Inverted Top Hats and Fire Dragons wrap around Immelman are the coolest inversions I would like to see alot more of.

JEFF

Corkscrews are great, especially if you speed through them!!!

Someone mentioned that the straights bits on Shockwave and the Ultimate are outdated...............When were they ever in-dated????????

And the Ultimate was designed by British Rail, so what would you expect!!!

I dont like short Intamin Accelerator coasters, there boring, they need a long one, that doesnt loose speed, like Rita but bigger,much bigger and faster!!!

Personally I like all elements on some coasters. Meaning the ride should be taken as a whole not by parts. You can't just take one fraction of time in space, and compare it to something else.

It like saying "the 3rd second during the fall on Demon Drop is way better then the 3rd on Freefall".

If a B&M had an Arrow Cork it wouldn't be the same. B&M coaster and Arrow coasters are designed for completely different reasons and to me niether are outdated.

B&M coasters are design to look and feel much faster and larger then they are. By utilizing the same " swooping hill, Giant Loop, Giant Inversion, Other Giant Inversion, brake run, jumbled twistedness, small Inversion jumbled mess formula on every coaster."

And Arrow pretty much makes dramatic coasters. the first vertical loops are usually very powerful and the rest of the layout gets more and more relaxed. Like SFMM Viper that was mentioned earlier. The first three loops are very strong with positive g's the whole time. Then after the brake run, the inversions get more stretched out and dramatic, and you spend as much time upside-down in each of the small final four as the B&M giant inversions.

So I love both.

The only thing I can honestly say is outdated is the GD cloning of everything! If it's not exactly the same it's close to it or reversed. " Oh have you riden Scream at SFMM? It's like Medusa east but with pavement!" (Vekoma) "We have perfected the Flying Dutchman! Yep by tightening the corkscrews to twists and adding a helix, they'll ride it like its not Stealth"

Same for GOLIATH "Titan" GOLIATH "Apollo's Chariot" and GOLIATH "Nitro"

at least over seas they painted it different (Goliath I mean).

Parks need to realize that people travel now, if your gonna build something "world Class" stop building it like everyone else in the world.

^ Not everyone travels, and there's nothing wrong with duplicating a successful product. Parks have to take care of their home market, and most people who live near a park don't know that a copy of, say, Batman--The Ride exists elsewhere.

Eric

I could do without the reprofiled sections of Dinn/Summers coasters. Those coasters tend to need help to begin with without all of the crappy reprofiling that many of their coasters have endured.

To change the topic up slightly, I have an old element I think is very good. It's the little dip and turn on older Arrow steel coasters after the lift hill. Think about how much that "lead in track" helps Loch Ness Monster on the first drop or the feel of it on a coaster like the Demon at SFGAm. For a more modern example, while Apollo's Chariot doesn't have the turn it has the little dip and straight track before the first drop to help enhance the drop.

I think the Cobra roll is very over-rated. I mean sure, it's nice to look at with its nice design. But it just doesn't really give you that BUZZ that other Inverts can give like the Zero G Roll, or the Batwing or Immelman. I think the ONLY Ride where I really craved the Cobral Roll was Dueling Dragons Ice, and I was like 11 then. The Hulks is a little boring for my taste.

To change the topic up slightly, I have an old element I think is very good. It's the little dip and turn on older Arrow steel coasters after the lift hill. Think about how much that "lead in track" helps Loch Ness Monster on the first drop or the feel of it on a coaster like the Demon at SFGAm. For a more modern example, while Apollo's Chariot doesn't have the turn it has the little dip and straight track before the first drop to help enhance the drop.

I agree, that little dip makes Loch Ness and Apollo two of my favorite first drops.