TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Rollercoaster elements have become outdated?

For myself it would be the Corkscrew.

I believe the Corkscrew made its debut at Knotts Berry Farm over 30 years ago.

Since that time many other Theme Parks have added this "Arrow" creation to their Coaster line up, though I feel its time has passed.

I find the Corkscrew to be less thrilling then many of the current looping elements available on coasters today. Plus, those overhead restraints always seem to click down an extra notch or two whenever you go through a Corkscrew.

I've always enjoyed Looping Coasters like Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), but for the past few years I have avoided Corkscrew Coasters like Viper (SFMM).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Ditto. With so many possibilities, B&M (and others) should be doing them. I haven't ridden it yet, but the Sea Serpent element on Medusa at SFMW is a good example of what can be done.

There's more than one way to bend metal y'know...

Eric

I just find them slow, boring, and forceless.

hmmm

Slow: Not really

Boring: Ya I can see where some people can think that, I'd liked them because they are differant from the norm.

Forceless: HELL NO! You must of gotten them on bad days. Like when I was at SFDL and it was very windy and I could just feel the wind killing the airtime on the second and/or third hills.

I just find them slow, boring, and forceless.

hmmm

Slow: Not really

Boring: Ya I can see where some people can think that, I'd liked them because they are differant from the norm.

Forceless: HELL NO! You must of gotten them on bad days. Like when I was at SFDL and it was very windy and I could just feel the wind killing the airtime on the second and/or third hills.

It's all personal taste. But comparing the larger gradual helicies to the smaller one's like on SFNE's S:ROS is what I'm reffering to. The smaller tighter one's just produce a much more exciting ride IMHO.

I think that the classic Arrow corkscrews (Python @ BGT, etc.) are boring. BUT, I think that when B&M pulls off a corkscrew, it rocks. Both on Kraken and Montu on my recnet Florida trip I was whipped thru the Corky's. And on all the other B&M's I have ridden. So yeah, the older corky's are kind of dull, but the newer, quicker ones aren't!

*Bows*Thank You! Thank You! You're all too Kind!*Bows*

Its a fairly new element, but I find heartline rolls to be rather uninteresting and slightly uncomfortable. Arrow/Vekoma corkscrews arent very interesting either, but old-school B&M wingovers are awesome. Those on Batman la Fuga were taken so fast it was amazing. I loved it!

I don't care much for Arrow's corks or vertical loops either. I think Cobra Rolls and heartlines are great. The best inversion(s) of all to me would have to be: Zero-G-Rolls, Dive Loops and Immlemans. There aren't to many that I dislike....I just can't stand the usual "B&M" layout (Loop, Dive Loop, Zero-G, Cobra Roll, MCB's, Corkscrew, corkscrew) So many B&M's have that exact layout. But I must say most of them still have a different ride experience.