TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

LIM,Hydraulic or Compressed Air launched Woodie

Would (no pun) this work, create a woodie which is launched like TTD, but not as fast of course, it could have the 1st hill of 150ft and an out n back/twister layout.

I guess this may not appeal to most coaster fans as a woodie is supposed to be a traditional coaster with a chain and lift hill.

What are your views if Custom Coasters Inc/S&S Power etc announced one......

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

launched like TTD

In the title you mention LIM's, but you use TTD as an example?!

As for LIM's... They'd be impossible on a Woodie. But a hydraulic launch like TTD? VERY possible, and I could see Intamin doing that. Hey, El Toro has a cable lift which is very similar...

Why would LIM's be impossible on a woodie? Of course they would have to redesign the trains, but they would have to do that with a hydraulic launch too...

Ever noticed how a wooden style coaster is loosely on the track? For LIM's there must be no tolerance...

As for it not fitting the character...

If we would've gone with that all the time we'd still live in boring times. I can very much see it happening, especially on the Intamin prefabs. But it'd remain a gimmick...

I don't think we will ever see a wooden launch coaster. I think there are too many things would stop one from being built. If someone ever built one I don't think it would last very long before it ran into major problems.

Have you ever heared about the Intamin prefabs? Sure, many don't see them as "real" Woodies (me included), but they are still Woodies and it'll be easily possible on them.

Would you have ever thought of a loop on a Woodie?

^No, I never thought there would be a wooden looping coaster. However there is a difference between a looping coaster and a launch coaster. When you build a wooden looping coaster, the loop is the only part of ride that gets a unusual amount of force placed on the track. And when I say unusual amount of force I mean unusual amount of force for a wooden coaster. The the extra force only gets placed on the part with the loop. If you where to build a wooden launch coaster you would have an unusual amount of force on many different parts of the ride instead of just one part of the ride. I don't think the track would be the problem. I think the problem would be the supports since they would be wood instead of steel.

I don't think the track would be the problem. I think the problem would be the supports since they would be wood instead of steel.

... kinda like the Gravity Group designs...

If there is extra force being exerted, that just calls for stronger supports! No biggie!

Vote: gimmick, and a lame one at that.

- Joe, who doesn't even really like steel launches...

Good point. The launch could be steel, the rest wood, and the trains could be Century Flyer (vintage P&C) or Millennium Flyer (GCI).

Why?

There is absolutely no reason why an INTAMIN PREFAB Woodie could not sport a launch...

I don't see any other companies doing such thing...

It could be done, but I don't think many parks would be interested in doing this. The force from the launch plus the speed would put a lot of wear and tear on the wooden portion of the ride, even if the launch was steel. It wouldn't feel very wooden at all and therefore would be pretty pointless in having it made out of wood. For now I think they should stick with building launched coasters out of steel and leaving the classic feel to wood. Just look how popular the wooden coaster with a loop craze is

Well I think that with the pre-fab Intamin wooden track that this is very possible. I mean its not like the launch is going to pull 2-3 G's, I mean SoB's loop give a little bit of hang time (if you can feel it over the groin pounding). The launch would, like the loop, would be there for function and not be some ridiculous amount of force.

I think that if the Millennium Flyers were to be used on a launched wooden coaster, they would DEFINATELY need a larger backrest that supports the riders head, which kills some of the visibilty given by these trains.

I think its perfectly possible, and I hope that I can ride one in my life time!

Colin C