TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you think Chris Sawyer/RCT influenced your interest...

Taken from another forum I post at.

Clearly, RCT is one of the most best-selling PC games of all time, ranking up there with The Sims. So, one question ACE members and donkey lovers...

Did Chris Sawyer/RCT influence your interest?

For me...

In July 1999, my cousin got the game when it first came out. I was curious and I played it a little bit. I got sort of addicted and wanted a copy. But, it was 1999, and the 10 year old me was addicted to the crack known as Pokemon (save that for another topic).

Back in April 2000, BGT was throwing a promo for free "Fun Cards" (or BGT's term for a basic season pass) for Florida residents, on the busy weekend of Easter. Of course, we got passes and the park was crowded as all hell. Back then, I was scared sh**less of coasters.

Then a few weeks later, on my 11th birthday, I got a copy of RCT from my relatives. I booted up the game that night, was a bit confused, then rotted away on my shelf for a month or so. Then in late May 2000, my 5th grade graduation trip to BGT, and my dad dragged me on ALL of BGT's rides. I sort of got over my fear, then over that summer, my old friend Rob (not to be confused with Bealdude) took me whenever he went. And might I add, the night before the big BGT trip, my dad was watching the Discovery Channel and it was showing the special "Scream Parks" (which basically showed SFMM when it was good and before the "X-TREME!!1" era). My interest started...

I dusted off RCT and played it for hours on end that summer. I remember begging for the expansions. I remember going on sites such as Defunct Amusement Parks and such. And oddly enough, I always wanted a "Vertical Drop Roller Coaster" at BGT after seeing how scary looking Oblivion was in the in-game Alton Towers rec. Oddly enough, 5 years later, SheiKra comes (and kicks ass).

Eventually, in 2001, I come looking for recreations of BGT in RCT1 and found this site. Then in 2002, my interest in coasters/RCT dwindled until RCT2 came out. I then finally got reinterested, and in 2003, I joined a coaster forum.

Without Chris Sawyer, I guess we wouldn't have this influx of enthusiasts. Seeing that a majority of members throughout other forums were inspired by RCT.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always intrested in coasters, but I was scared out of my mind of riding them. I got RCT, and that began my first obsession with coasters. I played nonstop for MONTHS! I got bored with it after about a year or two, so it stayed on my shelf. When I heard about RCT2, I went insane for it! I wanted it SO badly, but my parents put it off for a long time, so I forgot about it. A few years after that, RCT3 came out, reminding me of my need for RCT2. I finally got it about 8 months ago, and resparked my love for coasters. I finally gathered up the courage to go on a "big" coaster, and look where I am today!

Thank you, Chris Sawyer!!!!

Yeah, I've been playing RCT for the past 5 years! I got it because it looked cool, and like everyone, I played it NONSTOP!!! So, yeah, RCT started it all for me.

Homer, have you had any luck in a BGT recreation? I've always wanted one!

Also, I think that there needs to be a RCTDS, like there's a ZooTycoonDS! Anyone else agree? I wonder if I could put that suggestion thru to Chris himself.....Hmmmm!

I've been interested in roller coasters ever since my parents dragged me on Big Bad Wolf at BGW back in 1991. I used to go on them, but be extremely petrified of them at the same time. I got over that when I went on Alpengeist in 1997. When RCT came out, I was well on my way to being an enthusiast, it just sped up the process and let my twisted imagination run wild.

My love of coasters began far before I got RCT. Though RCT definetly fueled it a bit.

Before RCT I had already gotten into Disney's coaster game. Also before RCT I was reading Thrillride daily. I always dreamed of riding all these coasters that were being built. And now I've ridden or plan to ride nearly all the one's I dreamed about.

I loved coasters since i was 4 and got to ride Avalanche and scooby doo over and over againg at PKD. I also liked spacely's sprokets since it had hills like a rollercoaster.

Only reason i bought rct was because i wanted to create coaster and i didnt quite get addicted like some folks out there with the scenery and crap. I always built 20 coaster parks.............................rant rant rant rant

The original RCT definetly fuelled my interest in coasters and thrill rides. I got it just after it came out, and I was playing it a hell of a lot for the next 3 years or so.

A short white after I got RCT, I found RCDB.com, and lots of coaster sites including this one, and the rest is history.

RCT brings back several memories for me. First-off, my friend brought his copy over (in which I'll admit, I actually put our CD burner to use for the first time:) ) This game has definitely added to the coaster addiction I already had. It helped a lot during the off season. I finally went out and bought the Loopy Landscapes expansion as I liked the game so much, so much that I was failing some classes...lol. From then on, I bought RCT2 on the day of release, got RCT3 prior to it's actual release, bought Soaked and finally recieved Wild as a gift.

I wouldn't have bought RCT if I didn't like theme parks, so I can't say it did it for me, I already loved them!

But hey, with RCT my imagination has stretched beyond the limit!

I get a bit carried away sometimes, say Im building a Mine Train coaster and before I know it Ive been building it for 20 (RCT) years, thats like a whole day!!!!

Also from the original RCT, can anyone remember the crazy spinning trains you could get on the Junior coaster? Is there a real coaster that has them trains?

They fed each other for me.

I was interested in coasters already when I bought RCT1. I became addicted to the game which made me want to ride more coasters to see if I could find stuff like I was building.

Not being able to find what I was building made me try harder to suceed at the games. Doing well at the games made me want to visit more parks for more ideas.

Round and round.

I actually think that RCDB is what REALLY made me a freak though. Between zip codes functions and parks nearby, that site became my personal travelocity!