TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Another Disney Ride Accident

Just saw this this morning while going through my news stories...

Man Hurt While Boarding Disney World Ride

By the Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) -- A 70-year-old man was injured when he was pinned under a ride at Walt Disney World while attempting to board it, authorities said.

The man, whose name was not released, fell off a conveyor belt while getting on Peter Pan's Flight about 6:40 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

He apparently fell into the path of the next vehicle on the conveyor belt, authorities said.

The man was flown by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center. His condition was not immediately available.

The ride was immediately stopped and shut down for the rest of the day, said Lissette Campos, a Disney spokeswoman.

"There is no indication of a ride malfunction," Campos said.

It was expected to reopen Wednesday.

The incident has been reported to the Florida Department of Agriculture Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection, according to Disney officials.

Can Disney's luck get any worse...it just never seems to end.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I was watching Channel 13 news (For those of you know live in Central FL.) And I think they're taking this way to seriously. They're going absolutly overboard.

While flipping through the channels this morning I heard a newscaster say "Horrible accident a Walt Disney World"... so I stuck around to hear what they had to say.

So you've proabably read above, a man fell over on the conveyer belt for Peter Pan before getting into the cars... got pinned between the car and the belt, the worker stopped the ride immediately and he wasn't hurt.

Tell me, if he wasn't hurt, how was it "Horrible". They make it sound like the ride should be torn down because it's not safe or that he died and got his head smashed in... it wasn't the rides fault, it was the mans for falling and not getting up in time...

Oh well, glad he wasn't hurt, but still... stupid news.

Improved dramatically = wasn't hurt in the first place.

If I was there and some clumsy oaf shut down a ride for the entire day by being stupid I'd take a swing at him while they took him away on the gurney.

Sounds like the news guy needs a good smack too.

-Don "Hates stupid media crap like this" The Avenger

^I think I'd cut the 70-year-old man a little slack here. Stepping off a conveyer belt onto a moving vehicle can be a little tricky. I know they stop the belt for handicapped riders to make it easier to board.

Was he hurt or not? I mean I thought to be flown by a helicopter you have to be pretty messed up!

Well, knowing Disney, they always overeact. He probably got a couple of scratches and bruises, but nothing worse.

^ Actually, on Haunted Mansion @ DLR, they only slow down the conveyer belt. Personally, IMO, Disney did the right thing. Unlike some other idiot ride operators on Big Thunder, the Peter Pan operator immeaditly stopped the ride.

---Brent

Was he hurt or not? I mean I thought to be flown by a helicopter you have to be pretty messed up!

Lets do the math...

Fall at Disney + Helicopter ride to the hospital = lawsuit & $$$$

( sniff, sniff ) HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.................

Dose anyone else smell the begining for Final Destination 4????

Tell me, if he wasn't hurt, how was it "Horrible". They make it sound like the ride should be torn down because it's not safe or that he died and got his head smashed in... it wasn't the rides fault, it was the mans for falling and not getting up in time...

Oh well, glad he wasn't hurt, but still... stupid news.

Give me a friggin' break. He's 70. The fact that they refuse to stop the loading platform for anyone is in fact Disney's fault. No one else's. I have in fact seen handicapped people get turned away from Peter Pan because they can't board unless the platform is stopped and they refuse to stop it like they do at other attractions. It's a fairly recent policy. Apparently it's was the attraction supervisor's bright idea.

Hold on a second,

Just because the guy was 70 doesn't say anything!!! My dad will be 70 this year and outhiked all of us at the Grand Canyon last month.

Look at Jeff Johnson, he wouldn't need the platform stopped! ANY of us could trip, fall, etc. In Florida, it's not out of the ordinary to see LOTS of old people out and about, why would they stop the platform just because someone is old???

In this story ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wkmg/20060215/lo_wkmg/3268674

It stated that the police initially sent Homocide Detectives to investigate because they thought the man had life threatening injuries. But it also states that he improved dramatically once he was at the hospital.

That just reminded me of the Simpsons ep where Mr. Burns was shot, and Kent Brockman reported, "Montgomery Burns was shot dead this evening. He was taken to Springfield Hospital where his condition was later upgraded from dead to living," or something like that.

I'm not sure if Disney overracted. I'm sure they just wanted to be on the safe side of things. If for some reason he "did" die or was seriously hurt; it'll look good in court when they say they airlifted him to a nearby hospital right after the accident.

I'm actually impressed by Disney; over the years that "Disneyland Park" has been open they have been accused of not responding fast enough to accidents...that might cause a scene!

_six