TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ninja at SFOG

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey KingDanny! Well unfortunately Ninja CAN be rough although I have found that sitting in the last car of the train; 1st seat. Smooth as pie. Head will still bash an OTSR occasionally...but in my experience that was the best place. Hope that helps!

Nick "thinks Ninja is one of the better head bangers" C

It is my home park. I make sure I ride it at least like 5 times every time I go. It isn't bad as long as you keep your head still. They are right though. Last car is the best. As long as you keep your head still, the front is so much fun. It has such a big front on the train and I don't know, it is actually one of my favorite front seat experiences.

From what I know, there is no safe spot on Ninja. If you didn't know, Arrow started to build this evil machine, went bankrupt, and then Vekoma finished it.

---Brent

Arrow had no involvement besides the trains and the fact they gave Vekoma track rights in the early 80's, the thing was originally built at Dinosaur Beach in NJ, long before Arrow went bankrupt in the late 90's. Arrow was still churing out products but had the lawsuit said to worry about up til 1995 .. with the last coaster before Tornado and X was Road Runner Express at SFFT, the last of the mine trains.

Yeah, I am talking bout the Georgia one. Well...I have yet to find a really smooth Vekoma. It is something you can put up with though, and enjoy the ride, if you sit properly. I think it is getting new trains this year anyways which should change it a lot. I find it to be 20x better than any SLC, but I find Hangman at Wild Adventures to be the smoothest Vekoma I have ever been on.

I haven't been on a rough Vekoma yet. I think Rock'n'RollerCoaster at MGM is smooth. It's one of the smoothest rides i've been on. I even find GASM@ SFOG to be extremly smooth except in the last row of any car. BUZZ BARS RULE!!! I didn't know Arrow made the trains. I thought they were from Vekoma. At least the ride isn't a TOGO

I actually liked the ride quite a bit. It is definatly better than the one at SFStL.

I like the old school style Arrow OTSRs like the Demon coasters have. The way they rest on your shoulders prevents headbanging.

I've found that the Vekoma made trains ride a little smoother sometimes. Here's how to tell the difference.

Sorry my thoughts seem random, I must be getting tired.

Both pictures are from rcdb.com.

-Don

flashbackvekoma.jpg.d21f545b9cf9c443ce7d180c0e90dbba.jpg

Vekoma trains have a more rounded nose. These seem to run smoother than arrow trains on boomerangs for some reason.

boomerangarrow.jpg.74d8f393d33c9ef7d87fcbc0c4a89edc.jpg

Arrow trains have sharp, pointy fronts.

^That is the 2nd gen Vekoma looping coaster trains. The first ones looks a bit more like the Arrow trains http://www.rcdb.com/ig669.htm?picture=4

And those who said that Arrow built half of this ride were probably thinking about Ninja @ SFSTL. As you can see in the pics of Kamikaze (now Ninja) its also running Vekoma trains and not Arrow.

Ninja rocks! I love the headchoppers, the view and the corkscrews. I like the front car. But then again, I am 6'1" and 250 lbs. I hope this thread will be moot in a about a month or so. The rumors are that along with the new paint job the Ninja is getting, they will be adding new Vekoma wheel assemblies (sp?). It seems as the old wheels have contracted some and leave some space between the wheel and the track. This is what is causing the rough ride. I guess we will find out when the park opens for the "06 season.

Actually, it would probably be more likely that the ride would get new trains, as Shapiro is reported to have said something to the effect of, "People don't want to pay $50 to get beat up". He would be in favor of the necessary upgrades/rehabs to make any coaster smoother.

Althought, to be honest with you, I find no reason to get new trains, unless they have spring-loaded suspension and are very smooth (which I doubt since Vekoma's poor engineering leaves large wheel gaps on the upstop and guide wheels).

Just ride it in the back car, first row and you should be fine for one or two rides, since all you need is the credit .

^ You are part of the SFOG.NET forums, aren't you? I didn't hear that rumor...I thought the rumor was completely new trains.
Yes. I am a member at SFOG.NET and the only thing we have heard over there from a member named SixFlagsPR is "And yes, one coaster at least will get a new paint job... I'll give you a hint: It's probably not at the top of your list of "favorites", but does badly need a paint job. Perhaps this and some additional improvements will give it a few more points in some folks' rankings." Some have stated maybe it means new trains and some have said maybe new wheels. Who really knows???

That hint sort of gave the ride away. It's either the Ninja(duh!!) or the Georgia Cyclone. The Cyclone needs paint and new trains. There isn't any room and the seats are hard. Most of all..IT NEEDS BUZZ BARS BADLY!!! Any way, Ninja doesn't look like it needs paint. It might get new trains. Do you think they will make the lift hill faster? I hope that loud noise it makes when a train is on it stays, it sounds cool. Who knows, I might be wrong. After Shapiro's famous qoute"You won't see anymore Goliath's", the rumors of replacing Ninja with a floorless coaster might as well be put to rest. And the OLD rumors about replacing FreeFall with an impulse coaster might as well stop. But, with the park's upcoming 40 anniversery, who knows.

Oh, Ninja DEFINITELY needs paint. When the guy died there the other day and they showed and overhead video it definitely needed it. If you don't already know it IS getting one. Red track with black supports. It already started considering that guy died...I do agree that the Cyclone needs it also. I would much rather have it on Ninja though. This may be a shock to some people but Ninja is one of my favorite Vekomas.