TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Good move, TSMM is always one of those rides I want to go and re-ride straight away but the queues usually don't allow that. I'll be interested to see how much of a wait time reduction we see with the extra track. That ride is still going to remain incredibly popular with families as there isn't a lot else for younger kids to do at DHS outside of the shows.

I've always wondered if the imagineers really thought the attraction would be this popular when they were designing it, it always felt undersized for the crowds it draws but maybe it was never expected to be this popular. Not that Disney really uses the E-ticket or D-ticket labels anymore but this has to be the most popular "non-E-ticket" attraction at any ofthe parks.

Internally, I'm pretty sure Disney considers Toy Story Mania an E-ticket attraction. The lead Imagineer for the attraction described it as such:

When I started in the theme park industry, interactive attractions were pretty much all small, and mostly used mechanical or electromechanical components. The play was generally physical and usually of short duration.

Interactive stuff had always been in the parks: The canoes, Tom Sawyer Island, the shooting galleries, the Mad Tea Party (tea cups), Autopia, and a lot of other things. But with the exception of Autopia, all were small, A & B tickets – and interaction, even in Autopia, was pretty limited.

That has changed markedly. With the exception of Toy Story Mania (which I think is an “E-ticket”) and the “D-tickets” Buzz Lightyear and Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, interactive attractions generally remain small. But there are a lot more of them than there used to be and small isn’t as small as it was.

So my thought is they will just run this like they do Space Mountain and direct you either left or right depending on the length of queue closer to the station. That seems like the most logical option to me.

It is great they are doing this though I only got to ride it once one my last visit with FP+ and even on a "quiet" day the ride still had impressive queue length.

So my thought is they will just run this like they do Space Mountain and direct you either left or right depending on the length of queue closer to the station. That seems like the most logical option to me.

It is great they are doing this though I only got to ride it once one my last visit with FP+ and even on a "quiet" day the ride still had impressive queue length.

I think is exactly how it will work.

I think they should have the original 2 tracks be only for Standby Queue and the new track for the FastPass+ Queue. I feel like that is the most efficient use for the ride as both lines will run relatively quick.

It will likely be the opposite of what your suggesting. There are more FP+ / disabled guests then there are regular standby guests. Also, the stand by line is more accessible for this expansion.

Take a look at the image below:

Source and larger image.

TSMlayout.jpg.c85732993ed27fbcf0dfbf8ce418ed26.jpg

The third track is rumored to be a totally separate track, being built in Sound Stage 1, directly to the left of the standby line.

So, I would bet there will be a line split, directly in front of Potato head. One goes right, and one goes left. Then they only need on entrance, one Potato Head. FP+ and disabled are handled and everything fits.

Variety is reporting that DHS is getting a new name/rebranding when the new expansion is complete.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios Theme Park to Get New Name

Disney to rebrand Hollywood Studios

Disney plans to give its Hollywood Studios theme park a new name — which would become the park’s third since it opened in 1989.

Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed the planned rebranding while taking questions during the company’s annual shareholders meeting, held Thursday in San Francisco.

When asked by a young guest if Hollywood Studios would be renamed, Iger inadvertently said it would, but tried to backtrack when realizing the plans had yet to be announced. He provided no other details other than to say that the Orlando park is currently getting a significant overhaul, which would be followed by a rebranding when the updates are complete.

A number of attractions have been shuttered, including its backlot studio tour, to make way for new ones. Those could include additional “Star Wars” themed rides and attractions. Mickey Mouse’s sorcerers hat from “Fantasia” (seen above) is also being removed, which blocked the facade of a replica of Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theater, which houses “The Great Movie Ride.” That attraction is getting an upgrade as part of a partnership with Turner Classic Movies.

See More: Future of ‘Star Wars’ Will Rely Only on Past Movies, Animated TV Series

The park originally operated as Disney-MGM Studios until 2008.

Hollywood Studios is one of four theme parks that Disney operates at Walt Disney World, in Orlando. The park has a theme of 1930s and ’40s Hollywood and houses the Tower of Terror, “Star Tours,” “Toy Story Midway Mania,” and an “Indiana Jones” stunt show and other attractions. It also had been the home of an “American Idol” show but that’s also ended its run.

Walt Disney World has a number of major updates underway, including the construction of an “Avatar” land inside the Animal Kingdom theme park. It also recently completed an expansion of Fantasyland inside the Magic Kingdom, the world’s most visited theme park each year.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/disneys-hollywood-studios-theme-park-to-get-new-name-1201451575/

They went through a huge phase of putting "Disney's" in front of everything and now they're just putting "Disney" in front of everything (hotels, parks, movies, etc...). Anyone know why this is? I really don't get the lack of an apostrophe, like at DCA now. Disney's California Adventure sounds way more proper than Disney California Adventure, especially since every other property has the possessive.

Thoughts?

^ Agreed.

Although I've always thought since the last rename that the park should have the name "Kingdom" in it to go with the rest of the resort as cheesy as it might be, haha.

Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Movie Kingdom, Studio Kingdom?

EPCOT

It just gives off that Disney vibe in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the current name at all, so I'm glad it will be receiving a new (and hopefully better) name and hopefully a new icon!

They could simply call it "Walt Disney Studios" like the Paris park.

I'm gonna guess "Studios" will not be in the new name. There aren't many attractions left that actually deal with moviemaking. I'm thinking "Disney's Hollywood Adventure".

I was reading comments on the new name elsewhere and someone brought up the great point of not having "Studios" or "Adventure" in the name due to confusion with Universal Orlando parks...

I could not agree more, there has always been silly GP confusion between the Hollywood Studios and Universal Studios names from my perspective. If you give the park a name with "Adventure" then I feel as if it'll be even more confusing with Islands of Adventure. It seems stupid, but it happens and would happen all of the time.

Also, yes the park is literally Hollywood in Florida, but I don't like having Hollywood in the name as it gives the impression the park is in Hollywood - i.e. Universal Studios Hollywood. I've hated this name quite a lot since the name change from Disney-MGM Studios, which I was never fond of either as the park grew.

My vote is still for Disney's Movie Kingdom.

I'd find it hard to mix up the two parks considering one is located firmly inside Disney World, but that's just me.

As for the name change, I agree that it's likely for the best. I know so many people that still call it MGM Studios and the new name never really caught on. I like the idea just to rename it Walt Disney Studios like the Paris Resort.

The other rumor with this is a new expansion. With the backlot closed, they have quite a bit of space. I see some of the space going towards a Pixar Toy Story area like Hong Kong and Paris since the park is lacking in the rides department. This will help spread the Fastpass Plus reservations around. Then I see the rest of it and the west end of the park getting converted to a Star Wars area. I would imagine that this would come with a new E ticket such as a speeder bike motocoaster or a simulator 3D adventure using the Iron Man or Ratatouille ride system.

Please, please take Hollywood out of the name. That's the most confusing part. When you mention Disney and Hollywood to anyone while not on property they immediately think you're talking about the parks in LA.