TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/recent-american-idol-tv-show-singers-performed-at-the-american-idol-experience-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Since opening in February 2009, “The American Idol Experience” attraction at Walt Disney World Resort has provided thousands of performers the opportunity to audition before Disney producers and directors and perform on-stage inside a 1000+-seat theater at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park. This experience has no doubt been valuable to many performers who audition for the “American Idol” television show during one of its regional auditions.

In fact, in just this season (season 11) alone of the TV show, five of the show’s final 13 contestants had previously performed on-stage at “The American Idol Experience” attraction. One of those performers, Hollie Cavanagh, was one of the final four contestants remaining on the show before she was eliminated May 10.

ido118932LARGE.thumb.jpg.24aa412c7cbcc1c1c586d909b8cc6767.jpg

Cavanagh, the 18-year-old songstress from McKinney, Texas, came in second place in the theme park audience voting when she performed Miley Cyrus’ hit tune “The Climb” at “The American Idol Experience” on July 15, 2010. In fact, “The Climb” is the same song she performed on the “American Idol” TV show this season that drew rave reviews from both judges and fans alike.

A few photos I took from Star Wars Weekend this past Saturday. This was my first time partaking in the Star Wars Weekend events and had fun. I didnt get all into the autograph signings or the character meets like others but still managed to get on Star Tours a few times, saw the parade and saw Hyperspace Hoopla, so felt that was sufficient enough for the inner nerd in me

7327053088_b2f5926c96_c.jpg.71e4b495a39530197a72b0356ee42ebe.jpg

Storm Troopers from the 501st taking over

7331589030_60ac1677f4_c.jpg.98fef4b7d63c46cdd1d0ce118a0b4f88.jpg

Everyone loves a mouse.

7331186162_6a1cd91f91_c.thumb.jpg.54a39f74effb1048bc819646f600d6fa.jpg

Thsi little guy was the coolest Storm Trooper I saw the whole weekend!

7332238656_1cf55c4f6d_c.jpg.acf804d38309acfef2353bf094350675.jpg

My biscuits are burning! My biscuits are burning!

7327309080_7c7731eea4_c.jpg.51debf8492b14061a2c336043e508133.jpg

Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters

7331438556_3d8cc294b6_c.jpg.c31f95be22a2d6a359849b6b107f2e95.jpg

Hyperspace Hoopla is Supa Dupa. Thsi was a great shop IMO and worth camping out for a close spot rather early.

7332202062_0247248c56_c.jpg.f21b76287e1efca6fb96f04f0b6ce84b.jpg

Please do not be this guy

7331709804_d88f4ef784_c.jpg.24ea37c1c234ba4a0db0739eba663e85.jpg

Fisheye of the main gate at the end of the day

I'm quite late to the party on this one, but thanks for educating me on "bronies." That's just what I needed, another percentage of the population I need to avoid at all cost.

Agreed! I had no idea these people existed. I mean, watching a show is one thing, but obsessing over it and collecting the same toys that my 5 and 6 year old GIRLS play with is something else. Weirds me out on a whole other level.

Oh, and the updates were awesome. Hilarious stuff!

Agreed! I had no idea these people existed. I mean, watching a show is one thing, but obsessing over it and collecting the same toys that my 5 and 6 year old GIRLS play with is something else. Weirds me out on a whole other level.

Yeah, me too, and I'm a fan of the show. When the super obsessed people buy those toys, they're basically taking them away from little kids who could be enjoying them.

Love the new pics, btw

• 1 month later...

I'd love to see them use that huge chunk of land for something good. The tour, which was only "OK" to begin with, has been a shadow of its former self for years now.

^Agreed. There just isn't much to it anymore that makes it worth a ride, especially now that the park is no longer a working studio.

That was really the only thing I remember about it when I was kid, being able to see where they shot the Mickey Mouse Club and Star Search.

ha, my favorite part of the tour from a few years ago was seeing the backstage of the Lights, Motor, Action show.

And Catastrophe Canyon! The only interesting thing for me...

That's the only interesting part of the tour that's left.

DHS to get DCA make-over?

Orlando: So Value-Engineered

Who is also paying attention to Anaheim’s radical attendance shift are the executives in Orlando. Imagineering, buoyed by the huge success of DCA’s extreme makeover, has put together a proposal to do the same type of massive multi-year makeover for the floundering Disney Hollywood Studios park out in Disney World. It may not get the nearly 1.5 Billion that was spent on DCA from 2007 to 2012 (with Midway Mania, Pixar Play Parade, and World of Color paid for separately and on top of the 1.2 Billion dedicated to the makeover), but Imagineering would love to tear in to DHS and give the muddled theme of that park a fresh start and new look, bolstered with at least one new mega E Ticket and a smattering of smaller rides.

Wish them luck though, as the TDO executives are already inquiring how the park makeover can be value engineered, what might be eliminated, and how it could all be stretched out over more fiscal years than WDI’s bold 3 year extreme makeover proposal. Sheesh.

This is from Al Lutz at Mice Age. Here's a link to the full report, although the rest is all about DL: http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al073112a.htm

Once again, I found this on WDWMagic. The Studios are very important to me, but do you think this is true? And if it is, would TDO ruin it?

I hardly think that Team Disney would "ruin" any expansion going into Florida.

Disney has a responsibility to its shareholders to make sure that any major investments make business sense. They're not going to spend huge money on projects that aren't going to see a return on investment. If they're looking at cutting corners and scaling down a DCA-style revamp of DHS, there's probably financial reasons, not just Team Disney being "greedy" or "cheap". Frankly,what makes sense for DCA may not make sense at DHS. I'm SURE they have more qualified people than Al Lutz analyzing strategies for DHS.

Heck, I'd be thrilled to see ANYTHING added to studios. I'm not going to complain about it... I'll leave that to the Disney fanboys

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something new come to the Studios too. I'm sure it will happen eventually, and I'll be happy when it does.

I'm just always wary of the online Disney fanboys like Al Lutz, Jim Hill, etc. They sometimes forget that Disney is a business that places a high value on sustainable growth. They're not going to just throw tons of money around for no reason. The hardcore Disney people can just be very unrealistic.

Yeah, especially on the WDW forums, they think that WDW is constantly neglected and that DLR gets all the attention. DCA was a failing park. They needed Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. I mean, I will admit that some things need attention at WDW such as some of the Epcot pavilions, but it doesn't mean that Disney is neglecting WDW, they just had to momentarily direct all their attention to DCA to save it.

So my point is, you're right and you really can't trust the "hardcore" WDW fans.

And yes, I'd LOVE to see more Pixar attractions and more Lucas attractions.

I would imagine the bulk of WDW expansion money post-Fantasyland is for Pandora/Avatar over at AK. For DHS, it indeed would be great to see some of the elements of DCA remake brought over. The criticism of TDO being value focused I think it is a tad harsh. It's not like DHS needs to budget for attractions like Toy Story, Little Mermaid, or even WOC. They would just need an E-ticket that can push the food & merch sales of an themed attraction like the revenue generated by Carsland. I would be not be suprised to see DHS go for a Toy Story Land, like at the overseas parks, before adding a high budget E-ticket.