TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I bet the family of the boy is Crying. I really don't think they're feeling any Sweet Emotion right now. But if you think Disney is going to change the ride, well, Dream On. After many millions of riders, it's Amazing this was the first death. Maybe I'm just Jaded, but I know to check the warning signs. Riders need to know if they Walk This Way into the ride with a pre-existing condition, bad things could happen. When you go on any extreme ride, you know you're Living On The Edge.

The family will probably try to Eat The Rich, and sue Disney. Hopefully the mother won't try to take justice into her own hands. Janie's Got A Gun at MGM.

I'm really interested in finding out what happens with this incident. I'll be checking the thread constantly, cuz I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

I hope this wasn't the family's Last Child.

^woah, hold up there matey.

Just because his dad fought in a war means they dont have to obey the signs on a ride?

Of course I feel very sorry for anyone who loses a child.

However it does clearly state that you can noit ride if you have a heart condition.

^woah, hold up there matey.

Just because his dad fought in a war means they dont have to obey the signs on a ride?

Of course I feel very sorry for anyone who loses a child.

However it does clearly state that you can noit ride if you have a heart condition.

Well, I'm sure many people underestimate rides at Disney...because it is Disney and it is mostly a family park.

dubaidave, I hate to make assumptions on these types of things, but it seems as though the boy's father may be a fairly intelligent man. I mean, having served in a special forces unit, I'm sure he's fairly familiar with the forces the human body is subjected to in fighter planes. Therefore, if they had known about his son's condition, chances are they would not have allowed him to ride, much less be at the park until they had his condition treated.

Also, remember, there's no mistaking what the ride does. It's not a hidden secret to anyone. You clearly stand in full view of the train's launch while waiting in line. A decision to ride or not can be made by everyone.

I hope this wasn't the family's Last Child.

Well, the parents can always make Love (In An Elevator).

Back In The Saddle again? Is that What It Takes? Or is Falling In Love too Hard On Her Knees? I guess it's just too bad no one has Nine Lives. They're not feeling to F.I.N.E.

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw a Rock 'n Roller Coaster train launching on the news channel. I found out that yet another boy died on a Disney ride. Goodie.

Man, this is like, the third Disney-related death this year. If word gets out about Disney rides causing boys to die in childhood, it ain't gonna be good for business, that's for sure!

So the boy had an undiagnosed condition? Yep, that was my guess. I could see FoF or Hulk causing a heart attack on a "reasonably healthy" person, but RnrC is less intense than those two rides IMO...

To respond to the issue of Gs on the ride, yes, acording to rcdb it does pull 5Gs, which is surprising, given that when I rode it I thought the ride was pretty forceless except for the launch.

I REALLY hope they don't end up taming it down the way they did with Mission Space...I like RnrC a lot. It has to be one of my favorite Disney rides, mainly due to the music and theming. It was good to see rides like Rock 'n Roller Coaster make the Top 10 lists of coaster enthusiasts...Disney rides COULD make a big showing. While the actual ride experience isn't anything to write home about, it's decent and can thrill a lot of what's out there. Besides, someone had to make a park featuring "the first roller coaster to be based around music"!

Super "Sheesh, doesn't Disney ever get a break around here?" Dasher

Disney is the place with the death-causing rides yet Universals attendence is dropping

OK, now I am just getting cranky on the topic. Reality check here.... while there are lots of people out there who love both resorts (Universal and Disney) there is probably an overall difference in the demographic of the average Disney visitors and the average Universal Orlando visitors, especially the ones who visit IOA.

If the kid had a pre-existing condition that was undetected, this could have happened on any major coaster in any park in the US. Chances are this family was visiting Disney because they, like me, are Disney fans. More people visiting Disney=more chances of something like this happening.

Shari

Looks like a good thread going here. Reading several of the most-recent posts actually make a few (very) good points. I really believe that ride ops SHOULD be trained in CPR (at least the managers and ride supervisors). When I worked for BGE, it was mandatory for us to go through some sort of CPR training (and we were paid of course). In regards to the AED's, I would more than likely leave that up to the EMT's (and all management teams 'trained' on proper usage). Too much liability issues in relying on an 17-22 yr. old on using that product. Not trying to be discriminatory, its just how society (and lawyers) are in this issue coming up in court-lawsuits.

But, in today's society with legal issues and everyone wanting to sue for strange and idiotic things, it becomes a catch-22. I would even say its "damned if you DO....or damned if you DON'T-scenario. I say this, because if the "victim" is in a life-threatening situation (and medic/EMS has NOT arrived) are we as human-beings just going to stand there and watch a person die?

I think its in our genes to be compasionate and help someone out in that situation (adrenaline really kicks in too). I experienced/witnessed several deaths (not ride-related) at BGE over my years there and you really feel 'helpless' at times, because some instances become a judgement call (especially if you can't diagnose what to do or not to do). We aren't doctors. What happens if we "do" something and a person dies (or condition worsens) and what happens if we "don't" do something for the victim.

1. Do- you and the company are held responsible.

2. Don't-you (and the company) may be sued for "neglect". Sure it may seem simple enough, but lawyers surely know ways to twist a story around to blame operators/workers.

We are in a bit of a quandry here. Assume you all are in management role(s) now. What would you do? This was a real difficult situation/experience to deal with when I was in management and is now becoming an increasing issue/topic from recent accidents/deaths.

^ exactly.

We are ride ops, not doctors. I don't know the person's medical history. I have no idea how to diagnose a problem. Not breathing. Ummm, collapsed lung? Brain hemorrhage? Heart condition?

The last thing I want to do is make things worse by electrocuting them...

At the parks I have worked at, you NEVER touch a guest that is hurt. Even a bloody nose, not supposed to give them paper towels because they could be allergic to it.

Should there be AED's in rides? probably. BUT only for when medical help does get there imo.

The child was reported as having 'died of natural causes,' that being some sort of heart defect, not even the parents knew about, maybe? Or did they know?

That's what we heard, over here in Western CanadaLand.

Sad, all the same.

Having gone through CPR and AED classes, I can honestly say using an AED is not as problematic as it may seem. They walk you through what to do step by step and only allow a shock to be delivered if the person needs it. It's not like you just attach the electrodes and press the "shock" button (for an example of what an AED does, here's a website with a demo www.aedheart.com/xpad4.asp).

Plus, in 2000 the "federal AED law" was passed to provide Good Samaritan immunity to all potential rescuers.