TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

We are going to Hollywood studios on the 18th, MK on the 19th, IOA the 20th, and AK on the 21st. We are staying at the JW Marriott on the WDW property. Figured it was a good option since it’s brand new and still has on site transportation.

Good, you're going on a weekday. That should help you somewhat.

You'll want to attempt to get a boarding group at the 10 AM opening. If the ride goes down in the morning / early afternoon, they will continue to backlog boarding groups that have not gone yet, so getting a group for the 2 PM distribution might mean you're still waiting a while. Ask the folks at your hotel when the shuttles depart for Hollywood Studios and plan accordingly. But after you get there and snag your boarding group, you needn't feel any pressure to "get everything done"... You can relax and rove around at your own pace. Even on weekends, the queues are never unreasonable.

Saw some reports that Rise was struck by lighting. Has anyone heard anything about that or the potential downtime?

The ride was reportedly down for the entire day yesterday.

Makes me want to visit the park dressed as Spock and wander around with a puzzled expression

Slightly Fixed.

I figured a whole group (a family who's quarantined together?) should get together

as the Starship Enterprise main crew and do the same, LOL.

Interesting antecdote for weekend visitors...

I've gone two weekends now on the reservation system. The first time, I was driving on the ramp at around 9:15, and got backed up for a long enough time that I wasn't able to get in the park before 10 AM for a Rise of the Resistance boarding group. But the second time, today, I got there at 9 AM on the dot and was in the park with a half hour to spare, even after a delay before they started letting people through the booths.

I want to say that this would help people with their planning, but... Inconsistencies!

• 4 weeks later...

We were at the parks last week, and HS on Tues 9/8. It was a *little* busier than expected but considering it was the day after Labor Day I think a slight uptick shouldn't have been a big surprise. We certainly got everything done with time to spare except for Rise, boarding passes filled in seconds and no 2PM slot opened at all, I dont believe they even got through all the 10A passes. Everything except Smuggler's Run was a walk on or 10 minute wait.

Despite the lower crowds, one thing that was immediately obvious is that Black Spire Outpost does not lend itself to social distancing very well, and we didn't spend nearly as much time as I would have liked there because of it.

Example of 'crowd' level towards the end of the day, looking away from Tower of Terror:

studio.thumb.jpg.c4fb0689b1ca3dce6be62359aec076ee.jpg

• 9 months later...

Not sure where to post this. California's is now Guardians and Tokyo's has it's own backstory and the article specifically mentions this parks original so I assume it's going to be based on this tower:

Scarlett Johansson is staying on the Disney ride. The actor, who has Disney and Marvel’s Black Widow due out in two weeks, is attached to produce Tower of Terror, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Toy Story 4 director Josh Cooley is penning the script for the project based on the classic Disney theme park ride. Plot details are being kept under wraps, and it is unclear if the Oscar nominee would act in the project as well. Johansson is producing via her These Pictures banner with Jonathan Lia.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror opened in 1994 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, with other Tower of Terror rides opening at Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, France’s Walt Disney Studios Park and Tokyo DisneySea. The ride is known for ending with a terrifying drop. Tower of Terror was previously made into a 1997 TV movie starring Steve Guttenberg as a reporter investigating the case of a 1930s hotel where people mysteriously disappeared, with Kirsten Dunst playing his niece.

Disney has found past success with films based on its rides, with Pirates of the Caribbean spawning five films earning $4.5 billion combined. The Tower of Terror development comes as Disney prepares to unleash another ride feature. Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, opens July 30.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Had a ticket question, and putting it in here because DHS is going to be my first park of my visit and the chat with customer service wasnt very helpful.

For FastPass+ and entry into the park I had always used the RFID (?) plastic tickets like they do for annual passes. I know magic bands are also a thing. But I have a comp ticket that someone gave to me with a barcode, and also a two day ticket that I bought online. Both tickets appear in my account separately.

Do they have barcode scanners at the front entrance as well? And do they link that to my fingerprint? Or do they exchange for a hard card at the gate? They mentioned in the chat I can go to Disney Springs to get hard tickets, but since we wouldn't be going there I don't want to go out of the way. Also because DHS is going to be my first park and I need to reserve the Star Wars ride, I just don't want to have any issues where I have to wait in separate line to get physical tickets.

Also, I am going in September so (if) FASTPASS did make a return I would need a hard ticket because the scanners don't read barcodes around the park, right?

I don't know, I mean I added the tickets to the app and linked them to my account and made all my park reservations, so hypothetically I should be fine, but I don't want to get screwed over getting on the star wars stuff because I need to wait in a different line or need to do some sort of exchange that the ride reservation/lottery would need to be tied to. If that makes any sense.

Has anyone used a comp ticket or bought online without physical cards and can walk me through how this works? Thank you!

EDIT: I actually take that back, you can't even bring up the barcodes in the Disney app now that it's linked to my account. Now I'm even more confused. I don't have any magic bands or hard tickets to link any of this stuff to.

• 3 weeks later...

Disney has announced that more entertainment offerings will be returning across the Walt Disney World resort, including two big shows at Disney's Hollywood Studios!

image.thumb.png.76a136c9ec50f73a76bed70757266206.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/07/more-entertainment-returning-across-walt-disney-world-resort-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR3YHwcvECghOLwcSxSn3cUuILXCBUZp0ykWcC_tvtArTIVD2E-7tUPlkMw

It’s been really great this summer to once again gather in the Harambe Theatre at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park for “A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King” and to feel our hearts soar with the sight of fireworks in the skies over Magic Kingdom Park and EPCOT. We’re continuing to work on bringing even more entertainment experiences back to Walt Disney World Resort, and today I’m thrilled to let you know about four other favorites returning soon.

Starting August 1, we’ll be lighting up the night at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with the return of “Wonderful World of Animation.” This cinematic nighttime experience leverages projection mapping technology to transform the park’s iconic Chinese Theater on a magical journey through more than 90 years of Disney animation.

On August 15, a tale as old as time will return to Theater of the Stars on Sunset Boulevard with “Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage.” The heartwarming tale of Belle and Beast will once again swirl to life in this lush stage performance, with colorful costumes, gorgeous scenery and the songs you know and love.

We’re also excited to share that you’ll soon be able to visit those monsters of comedy in Monstropolis and chat with a certain sea turtle at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Mike Wazowski will begin welcoming humans to the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor at Magic Kingdom Park on August 8. And beginning August 21, you can get your most pressing questions answered during Turtle Talk with Crush at EPCOT. Duuuude!

We also recently announced that all-new nighttime spectaculars “Disney Enchantment” and “Harmonious” would be debuting October 1 as part of The World’s Most Magical Celebration. That means this summer is also your last chance to come out and catch the current fireworks shows before they sparkle into Disney history. “EPCOT Forever” will conclude its limited-time run on September 28, and you have until September 29 to take in the spectacle of “Happily Ever After” at Magic Kingdom Park.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like the rumor mill around Rock N' Rollercoaster is churning again thanks to Paris losing Aerosmith and some licensing legal mumbo-jumbo with the band and record label.  Aerosmith isn't nearly the powerhouse that they were 20+ years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if a new soundtrack is on it's way.

Now if only they'd update the themeing from Party City's cardboard clearance section...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

Looks like the rumor mill around Rock N' Rollercoaster is churning again thanks to Paris losing Aerosmith and some licensing legal mumbo-jumbo with the band and record label.  Aerosmith isn't nearly the powerhouse that they were 20+ years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if a new soundtrack is on it's way.

Now if only they'd update the themeing from Party City's cardboard clearance section...

They just gave Billie Eillish her own concert special on Disney+ and that makes her a Disney Princess in my book. It only makes sense that she gets her own ride........ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hilltopper39 said:

They just gave Billie Eillish her own concert special on Disney+ and that makes her a Disney Princess in my book. It only makes sense that she gets her own ride........ 

You know, I watched that special a couple days ago.  I can't think of a single song of hers that would be appropriate for a fast rollercoaster.  95% of that concert is slow, mumbly, and very bass-heavy and the other 5% is slightly uptempo but still subdued.  I think she's a pretty cool person overall but her music isn't my style, so I may be wrong as I've not bothered to listen to her albums, but she wouldn't fit the bill IMO.

• Like 1