TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Just a note to anyone going, Hollywood Studios opened the boarding pass a minute early today. This meant boarding passes were pretty much gone before the official time they were supposed to be available.

I had been testing it out at home before getting to the park and it always seemed to open at 7 on the dot.

On that note.

Dear Disney,

You know we love you right. See this? This is beautiful. We love it so much that it brings a single tear to our eye.

Untitled.jpg.2c10c33b88232efd1b3ea848073d67a2.jpg

Please do not do what we know you're about to do and make it 7am because nobody wants to get to a park at 6am on their vacation except for crazy people.

Thank you for your consideration. Sincerely, us.

It sucks this came about after my trip. The amount of rides on tier one severely limited my taking advantage of the fast pass system lol

Yeah, it's pretty useless so I'm happy with this change. We booked fastpasses at a different park and we're just hoping that our boarding group doesn't interfere. You have 2 hours to get back once you're called. I don't see why anyone would bother making any advance reservations at Hollywood Studios if they're hopping and have a full day unless an early Slinky FP fell into their lap by some crazy miracle. That would be my recommendation.

Edited by coasterbill

Just a note to anyone going, Hollywood Studios opened the boarding pass a minute early today. This meant boarding passes were pretty much gone before the official time they were supposed to be available.

I had been testing it out at home before getting to the park and it always seemed to open at 7 on the dot.

Theyve been blowing through them in minutes now? Outside of holidays I thought they were lasting in the 30-45 min range

From what I've noticed, they've shrunk the number of guaranteed boarding passes. There could be several factors for this. One of them could be the reduced park hours and there's only a certain number of people willing to get up at the crack of dawn.

They are still distributing a boatload of backup groups, so maybe Disney doesn't want to keep giving out day tickets and Fastpasses if someone's boarding group isn't called.

On a side note, Rise of the Resistance is fantastic. It was worth all the hoops I had to jump through, but it does stink people aren't even guaranteed to ride it.

I noticed they started having a lower number of guaranteed passes after the day I was there on the 17th it was the first real bad day it had. A few days later it didn’t open until 7 hours after opening. I think it definitely has to do with those two days being so bad.

Honestly the only thing I didn’t like about 7am opening was that the skyliner didn’t start until 7:30.

We had early slinky dog FP+ for both days

Finally checked out Rise of the Resistance last Friday.

Did the craziness (which I never do) and got to the park at 615am. Got Boarding Group 11 and was on by 820am.

I actually think Disney did an amazing job with the organization and staffing of the park, given the craziness.

The ride is truly spectacular. I don't want to spoil it, but for me the most memorable parts were BEFORE u boarding the actual "final" segment of the ride (in the small transports). I loved that Disney messed with the concept of multiple "experiences" of the ride during the line, and it felt immersive, like u were actually walking through the actual experience rather than waiting in line. It felt like several rides, not just one.

Absolutely fantastic. Up there with Shanghai Pirates and Journey to the Center and Tower of Terror as the best Disney rides I have been on.

As a side note, I also rode Flight of Passage in Pandora for the first time -- and I was BLOWN away but how much fun I had. Possibly the value of low expectations? But I loved it.

Please do not do what we know you're about to do and make it 7am because nobody wants to get to a park at 6am on their vacation except for crazy people.

... well that dream is dead

It's worth the early morning. Seriously.

I mean, we’re probably doing it anyway. How early would you suggest arriving at the parking gates? Do you think 45 minutes before park opening is good enough to get through the parking line and get into the park?

Edited by coasterbill

I mean, we’re probably doing it anyway. How early would you suggest arriving at the parking gates? Do you think 45 minutes before park opening is good enough to get through the parking line and get into the park?

It should be.

I got there around that time and had plenty of time - was in park by 640am or so

The real importance of getting there crazy early (5:30) now is if you want to rope drop either Slinky or Millennium Falcon. Since a ton of people are getting there for the boarding pass lottery, walk-ons are hard to find in the AM at Hollywood Studios.

As you can probably expect, I wanted to ride Slinky. I have no regrets since I was on the second train of the day and the line was back to Voyage of the Little Mermaid by 7:10.

20200125071635.thumb.JPG.cd3f00b5bc279173c020b7da8c90fcac.JPG

20200125071639.thumb.JPG.c1cd40a76dcb381386f4425e5b7b41bb.JPG

The line was without any breaks from Slinky's entrance to Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

^ That could make it problematic park hopping or trying to fulfill a dining reservation.

I was of the mindset that I wasn't leaving Hollywood Studios until I got on the ride, but I did get lucky with two good boarding groups (62 and 10).

Significant update: There are a bunch of reports that you now may only have one hour to get back to the ride as opposed to two. The app will tell you which with your boarding group information.

Hmm...don't totally love that. Will wait for confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they still doing the boarding passes? Anyone been lately? Our family is going in April and I'm hoping they've got a better solution by then. We'll see I guess. I really don't want to have to explain to my wife and kid that we have to be at Hollywood Studios at 6am so we can ride ROR. Ugh

They are but they’re often opening later. Today they opened at 8am.

And on Sunday they opened at like... 7:30 AM. It's rather inconsistent.

Are they still doing the boarding passes? Anyone been lately? Our family is going in April and I'm hoping they've got a better solution by then. We'll see I guess. I really don't want to have to explain to my wife and kid that we have to be at Hollywood Studios at 6am so we can ride ROR. Ugh

It's an early day for sure, but the park becomes more than reasonable after, like, 9 AM, and you can park-hop if you wish (though you have to keep an eye on your boarding group, since you only have 1 hour to return). I've gone twice now and have not been disappointed either time.

They are but they’re often opening later. Today they opened at 8am.

And on Sunday they opened at like... 7:30 AM. It's rather inconsistent.

Yesterday was the first 8AM opening but (highly subject to change because they were supposed to start later openings weeks ago and then switched the hours) it seems to be a pretty standard thing going forward.