TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

So I'm a little slow......

What new rides (2, correct) are going in Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios?

The ride where they talk about being in the middle of the fight scene.....PLEASE tell me that's an old school dark ride, like Pirates.

I really hope it's not a simulator, even like the larger ones at Universal.

Then at the controls of the Millenium Falcon: Again, not a simulator hopefully, but I think it will be. To me, they are fun once or twice, even the best ones like Spiderman, but they just aren't that rerideable. Again, that's me. I'd take Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Great Movie ride, Spaceship Earth all day over those. They just feel more Disney, while sims feel for Universal to me.

It seemed at Disneyland, MF was just going to be a reimagining of Space Mountain.

What new rides (2, correct) are going in Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios?

From the Disney Parks Blog:

"These authentic lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/star-wars-themed-lands-coming-to-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resorts/

That's all they've released so far. (I think)

It seemed at Disneyland, MF was just going to be a reimagining of Space Mountain.

What I think you are referring to is "Hyperspace Mountain", which is going to be a holiday overlay of the ride. To me this is similar to what DL does for Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and Small World. Which all receive holiday versions. The difference being that in this case, Space Mountain is getting an overlay for "Season of the Force".

From the Disney Parks Blog:

"Season of the Force, a new seasonal event beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment throughout the land, themed food locations and more. Guests also will also climb aboard Hyperspace Mountain, a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction, in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will close out weekend nights with a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/star-wars-enhancements-new-experiences-coming-soon-to-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resorts/

If someone has more info, please feel free to correct me. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty excited as the girlfriend and I just booked our flights for our 1st trip to Orlando! We will be there 12/05-12/12 in which I plan on squeezing BGT somewhere in there. Is each park a "whole day" park? AK closes early (5pm or 6pm) so I know it's not but what about HS, MK and Epcot? Thank you all.

Pretty excited as the girlfriend and I just booked our flights for our 1st trip to Orlando! We will be there 12/05-12/12 in which I plan on squeezing BGT somewhere in there. Is each park a "whole day" park? AK closes early (5pm or 6pm) so I know it's not but what about HS, MK and Epcot? Thank you all.

I didn't find AK or DHS to be full day parks, I recommend going to Fun Spot to ride White Lightning one of those nights, the coaster is great. I also recommend the Flex pass, it was super nice to get unlimited visits to universal, seaworld, and Busch!

It'll be pretty busy during that time, but the parks will (most likely) have all of their Christmas decorations and such up. Definitely plan for one night at HS, to do the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

As for MK, it's Disney at Christmas. One way to see MK as a "half-day" park is to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Not sure how you are doing Disney tickets, but it's much cheaper than a single day at MK, and the park has about 1/3 the amount of people.

Epcot is also awesome around the holidays. Haven't seen anything about it this year, but I'd assume that they will be continuing the "Holidays around the world" celebration, where they have booths out with food and drink from the World Showcase countries. It's similar to Food and Wine, and Flower and Garden in that respect. Also at Epcot is the Candlelight Processional. I'd look to see who's narrating the Christmas story on nights you'd be at Epcot, and look to go to one of those.

If you have any other questions about Orlando Disney, just ask. There's plenty of us that enjoy helping out first-time visitors.

I didn't find AK or DHS to be full day parks, I recommend going to Fun Spot to ride White Lightning one of those nights, the coaster is great. I also recommend the Flex pass, it was super nice to get unlimited visits to universal, seaworld, and Busch!

I totally forgot about Fun Spot!! Thank you sir. I'll be sure to squeeze that in.

It'll be pretty busy during that time, but the parks will (most likely) have all of their Christmas decorations and such up. Definitely plan for one night at HS, to do the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

As for MK, it's Disney at Christmas. One way to see MK as a "half-day" park is to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Not sure how you are doing Disney tickets, but it's much cheaper than a single day at MK, and the park has about 1/3 the amount of people.

Epcot is also awesome around the holidays. Haven't seen anything about it this year, but I'd assume that they will be continuing the "Holidays around the world" celebration, where they have booths out with food and drink from the World Showcase countries. It's similar to Food and Wine, and Flower and Garden in that respect. Also at Epcot is the Candlelight Processional. I'd look to see who's narrating the Christmas story on nights you'd be at Epcot, and look to go to one of those.

If you have any other questions about Orlando Disney, just ask. There's plenty of us that enjoy helping out first-time visitors.

Tickets aren't an issue necessarily as I'm a CM here at DLR. I'm hoping most of the Xmas offerings are available during our trip. I'll have more questions so I appreciate the help in advance.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/09/osborne-family-spectacle-of-dancing-lights-celebrate-a-delightful-holiday-tradition-one-more-time/

image.jpg.341feff3e2b444316336f6107026dcee.jpg

The holidays are fast approaching and we know that many of you are starting to make your plans. Two more options for holiday fun at Walt Disney World Resort will soon be available to book: the Merry & Bright Dessert Party (Nov. 6-Dec. 30) and the Merry & Bright Dinner Reception (Jan. 1- 3), both overlooking The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

With the dessert party, guests will enjoy holiday-themed desserts while surrounded by the amazing light display. New for 2015 is a dinner reception Jan. 1 – 3, featuring a selection of small bites including beef, shrimp and turkey, plus wine, beer and specialty beverages. You’ll be able to book these experiences beginning Sept. 16, so check back at DisneyWorld.com around that time for full details and to reserve your spot.

As you plan ahead, we also wanted you to know that this holiday season will mark the finale for The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. The display of lights has enjoyed a successful run at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, going all the way back to when it first appeared on Residential Street.

In order to prepare for some incredible experiences coming to the park, including the recently announced Toy Story Land and a Star Wars-themed land, we will not be able to present The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights in the future. Our heartfelt thanks go out to the family of Jennings Osborne for letting us share their family tradition year after year. And thank you to all of you for being part of the spectacle with us. Here’s to making more memories in this, the 20th and final year.

Edited by jedimaster1227

It could simply mean that there will be extremely limited access since to get to that area of the park, people will either have to get through the construction zones for Star Wars or Toy Story Lands. The crowds in the streets for the Dancing Lights can be absolutely crushing. This sounds more like a choice was made to simply not have that crowd control headache.

I'm trying to visualize the Dancing Lights crowds trying to get through the skinny work walled alleys of DCA's Paradise Pier back in 2010ish when World of Color and Mermaid were being built. That wouldn't end well.

I see this as a sign of the entire area being razed for the new lands.

The park doesn't appear to be keeping the "Studios" aspect of the park. So it makes sense for these movie sets to go the way of the back-lot tour.

^Either that or Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Epcot doesn't have much as far as major attractions (Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space) but that's a park worth spending a whole day in to soak up all the atmosphere and enjoy the World Showcase.

If you made Fastpass+ reservations for Hollywood studios for Toy Story Mania and Tower or Rock N Roller Coaster for the afternoon like 2 pm or later it's pretty easy to hit most of Animal Kingdom in the morning with minimal waits. If you do Everest, Dinosaur, and Kilamanjaro Safaris at opening you should be able to see the animal exhibits and one or both of the Lion King and Nemo shows (I'm not a fan of Nemo) pretty easily before noon or 1. Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park but you can rush through it and not miss much, same kind of goes for the Studios. Get a Fastpass for Toy Story Mania and Rockin Roller Coaster/ Tower of Terror (the line for Tower always moves pretty quick and RnR has singel rider) then take the rest of the day to see Lights Motors Action, do the Muppets and the Movie Ride and whatever else you're intersted in and wait for Fantasmic that night if you are interested in it.

If you are interested in Fantasmic I'd definatley reccomend the Fantasmic Dining Package. For a touch more than the regular price of the meal you get a reserved seat at the show. The stadium for Fantasmic tends to fill up sometimes even an hour before the show on crowded days so it's nice to grab an extra ride on Tower of Terror then stroll in to your reserved seat 5 minutes before it starts.

Tha's how I'd approach it if it were my trip, squeeze Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios into one day and give Epcot as much time as possible.

I came back from a two day three night trip last month and we did magic kingdom one day and then animal kingdom and HS the second.. Spent the first evening at Epcot but just for 2 hours.. Epcot needs a lot of time due to its size.. You probably don't want to rush Magic Kingdom either (however they will have their Christmas stuff going on so you might want to swing by just to see it)

So I agree with AK and HS

We felt we missed a lot and wanted to do more in Epcot so I wouldn't suggest trying to rush it nor magic kingdom..

We did everything in AK in the morning and most of HS that afternoon/night and then spent 2 hours in magic kingdom again our last night so three parks in one day ha-ha. Magic Kingdom was open much later than the others. We just rode the bus from HS to Magic Kingdom (so u will probably have the option to swing by MK for an hour or two just to say you went)

• 1 month later...

Disney’s Hollywood Studios to Debut New Star Wars Experiences in December

You heard about it first during the 2015 D23 EXPO, and now we’re excited to share more details. Very soon, guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios will have the opportunity to experience Star Wars in the park in an all-new way – every day! New experiences will open starting Dec. 1, bringing that galaxy far, far away, a little bit closer.

Star Wars Launch Bay will take guests into the Star Wars saga and the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, special merchandise and opportunities to encounter Chewbacca and Darth Vader.

Star Tours – The Adventures Continue will be home to a brand new adventure inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. During the opening months, we’ll make sure that everyone who rides Star Tours will experience the new adventure. After that, it will be up to the will of the Force. Here’s a sneak peek of where the Starspeeder 1000 will be taking us.

We also have new information about “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi.” It will feature scenes from the complete Star Wars saga, also giving anyone new to the Star Wars galaxy an opportunity to get acquainted with the films.

Last, but certainly not least, is Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple, which will open in early December. This reimagined Jedi Training experience will take younglings to the secret site of an ancient Jedi temple where they will face Darth Vader along with the Seventh Sister – a new villain from the Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”

And work begins next year on the 14-acre Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With construction underway, unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer Star Wars Weekends. While Star Wars Weekends has been a great way to enjoy the saga for a few days every year, now the Force will be with Disney’s Hollywood Studios every day.

With Star Wars Launch Bay, the new Jedi Training experience, “Star Wars: Path of the Jedi” and a new destination in the Star Tours attraction opening in December, you’ll be able to step into the Star Wars saga every time you visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

ser234877.jpg.8c69b63321c8373a810e0aabc9bb7536.jpg

Awesome that they're adding a new part to Star Tours. It's easily my favorite simulator ride (and I'm no Star Wars fan), and not knowing which adventure you're going to get is one of the things that makes it so awesome!

And work begins next year on the 14-acre Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With construction underway, unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer Star Wars Weekends. While Star Wars Weekends has been a great way to enjoy the saga for a few days every year, now the Force will be with Disney’s Hollywood Studios every day.

Oh, what delicious irony!

But seriously, folks, I'm looking forward to seeing DHS get a big makeover. The new Star Wars and Toy Story attractions should breathe some more life into this park.