TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I'm glad they didn't copy Cars Land like a lot of people thought they would. Toy Story Land sounds awesome! I'm sure Hollywood Studios is going to be half shut down while they are building Toy Story and Star Wars...But when it's all done, that place is going to be amazing! I love Star Wars. Universal has nothing on Star Wars. You can add up Harry Potter, Marvel and Transformers and it still doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of Star Wars. I can't wait!

I have to say that the plans for Toy Story Land has pleasantly surprised me. The Paris version was very underwhelming and disappointing, and felt very un-Disney to me. Three low capacity mediocre rides in a park like Studios in Paris, just doesn't work very well, when it needs people eaters to cope with the overall low capacity. So when I heard that DHS was getting a version of it, I really didn't see it working out very well, but these plans look great. Hopefully they can get this turned around in a reasonable amount of time as there doesn't appear to be a massive task to theme it, mainly landscaping of the area.

A couple thoughts on the announcements, I wouldn't be surprised if there is more in the Toy Story land once the project starts construction, seems strange for major expansion this size with that much land to only add a coaster and what looks like a smaller flat ride. I wouldn't be surprised to see the parachute drop tower or the Junkyard Jamboree style ride added as well maybe. If this expansioin is goin in on the south end of the Midway Mania area (where that guy did the google maps layover thing) I wonder if the old Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground will get a Toy Story makeover?

Also, I know nothing has been announced as far as additional attractions closing or locations for either Toy Story or Star Wars but I find it hard to believe that the Star Wars expansion wouldn't incorperate Star Tours into the area. Maybe Star Wars is going to be a new expansion over the alternate entrance road and parking toll booths instead of in the park like we had previosuly thought.

I have to say that the plans for Toy Story Land has pleasantly surprised me. The Paris version was very underwhelming and disappointing, and felt very un-Disney to me. Three low capacity mediocre rides in a park like Studios in Paris, just doesn't work very well, when it needs people eaters to cope with the overall low capacity. So when I heard that DHS was getting a version of it, I really didn't see it working out very well, but these plans look great. Hopefully they can get this turned around in a reasonable amount of time as there doesn't appear to be a massive task to theme it, mainly landscaping of the area.

I will say, even though it's the same, I thought the rides fit in well in Hong Kong where the land is in its own corner without tower or anything looming over it. It never really felt "un-Disney" to me. But when you have Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain practically walk-on and the parachute ride at 60 minutes (autopia was the only other ride in the park not almost walk-on at 60 mins) I get your point. I liked the little area in Hong Kong but this looks so much better.

Thanks for all the info. The Toy Story Land is quite surprising. Glad to see the Slinky coaster being a pretty large installation for the family coaster. Would not be surprised if another flat ride is added later on. Of course, the mind boggles on how the Star Wars land will be designed to fit into the area, and what tech they will use to execute the two rides. DHS has Star Tours in a good location to fit into the new land. Only can hope that construction moves a tad quicker because it is so exciting to see large scale investment into the US parks.

I'm uploading the super high res version of that Toy Story concept art so people can pick it apart further. Are we sure that the "Woody's Roundup" ride is on there? Or is it the alien ride that looks more like Junkyard Jamboree? But covered.... because it's Florida...and it rains!

You're absolutely correct Robb, I agree.

Also, I think that the new Toy Story land will go directly behind the Toy Story Mania ride building.

The Slinky Dog coaster really surprised me. On Saturday night, I only saw one screenshot for a few seconds and figured the coaster would be the larger version of a roller skater. After seeing the video, I am really excited to ride this since it appears to have the Seven Dwarfs rocking cars unless I am mistaken.

The Slinky Dog coaster really surprised me. On Saturday night, I only saw one screenshot for a few seconds and figured the coaster would be the larger version of a roller skater. After seeing the video, I am really excited to ride this since it appears to have the Seven Dwarfs rocking cars unless I am mistaken.

Where was there a video?

Just another view, but it looked like to me, that the Aliens Saucers ride

appeared in the artwork like it was similar to the Double Dumbos at WDW's

MK. Only this is the teacups, themed as spaceships. And covered.

^^oh cool, thanks!

^Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, looks like there's a fairly large building behind the ride area so I'm guessing they'll be incorperating a Toy Story version of the interactive que similar to the Dueling Dumbos. Hey, maybe it looks like a tea cups ride but is really some kind of a version Aquatopia, that's honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw the concept art (though we probably won't be that lucky).

After looking at that high res version of the concept art it says "Super Launcher" on that bridge to the coaster attraction entrance which would make you think there's a midcourse launch involved. Also on the high res it looks like there are seeral "pieces" of track laying around almost like this thing will be themed to those old Hot Wheels track kits you could build youself and had "launcher" sections in it, pretty cool.

I know you can't take conept art too seeriosuly but they trains do look like they could incorperate the the swinging cars from the 7 Dwarves Mine Ride. It would be cool to see that concept expanded on where the swinging motion is featured a little more prominently throughout the ride. I've only been on 7D a few times but never really felt the cars sway at all, which is fine it's still a cool attraction, but a little more speed and some different turns and that could be a really cool and fun element of this attraction.

^ I'm not sure if the swinging cars concept would work with this. It's a Slinky Dog which

really doesn't "swing" that much, to me. But the train could be articulated

for the turns and the uphill/downhill part (bunny hops?) of the track, after the launch.

1395050139_ResizeofIMG_5528.JPG.51e82cd732d12e7fd84fbc781e64c935.JPG

An articulated train like TWISTER at Grona Lund, perhaps? With the Slinky Dog ring-s over each seat?

Edited by Nrthwnd

Also - and "just because..."

I remembered these drawings that were a concept/patent that Disney came up with,

during the infancy of building Shanghai Disneyland. At first, I thought it might

be either for a new-fangled version of "Be Our Guest". Then, when "Pooh's Hunny

Pot Spin" was announced for ShDL, I figured this would apply for that.

But - if Alien Saucers were there instead, and The Claw was hanging in the middle of it...

COOL!!!

HunnyPotSpin-maybe1.png.c8771476ef69908689a30583f38e3ee3.png

Each spaceship flys! (o;

HunnyPotSpin-maybe2.png.f1267c2c485b93300ccc8e9ab3798f77.png

With The Claw hanging overhead, middle.

HunnyPotSpin-maybe3.png.fbb196d8ea8718f2578d195ad9a00d4c.png

All this kitchen stuff suggested "Be Our Guest" to me. Or "Ratatouille". But, spaceships could work, too!

I don't think the cars will rock. In the animation there was a portion where the cars rocked back and forth, but I think that's just due the the back and forth banking in the track and not the cars themselves swinging. Here is a link to the animation

Also I now agree that the parachute tower looks just like some themeing. Sorta funny that they would take a ride concept from another park and turn it into a bit of themeing though, maybe it's just an 'easter egg' type thing in the art. I suppose they have done this type of thing before though.

I think Disneyworld will have all the 'family' coaster bases covered after this one. This being the first family coaster with a launch.

Edited by robbalvey

Regular two-row cars, a giant character taking up half of the front car, family-level ride movements...

Smells like a Mack Youngster / YoungSTAR coaster.

Animation looks really fun, and that thing sure seems to cover a significant portion of land.

As far as manufacturer and all it's impossible to tell this far out based on the concept art and animation alone but I still have a feelin it will be a Vekoma, when's the last time they built a coaster that wasn't a Vekoma? They might even develop custom trains for this attraction just like they did for 7D.

I would argue that the animation is the next stage beyond simple concept art, that texture underneath the coaster looks really close to a master plan.