TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I'd imagine the shirts were designed at different points, one before the hat's removal was finalized and the other after... It would seem odd to use two different icons otherwise.

^Good catch. Stupid marathon though.

Hey, at least now they have the "Castaway Cay Challenge" so the medal-mongers ship off to the Bahamas for the week instead of clogging up the parks!

Adding in the fact that there are now 2 different times with back-2-back races between WDW and DL (Marathon last weekend, and Star Wars this upcoming weekend at DL). All of that should hopefully clear out people that are overly pushy with regards to making it known that they "ran" *Insert Distance Here*.

Personally, I would just wear the shirt instead of the medal, damn thing is too heavy

Just chiming in on the Sorcerer's hat. I remember going to MGM Studios in the old days, and seeing the old chinese theater right at the end of the street. I went back in 2005, and found the hat a bit distracting, but I didn't hate it the way some others seem to.

I'm more excited to see what TCM is going to do to the Great Movie Ride inside the building. Fingers crossed that they'll keep, and improve the Alien scene!

There was also something in the Disney shop at airport with the 4 parks on and Earful tower on it that was the day the hat was supposed to start coming down.

Apparently the hat was considered to go near fantasmic but with the elevation of the land it would have dwarfed the Tower Of

Terror.

Stu K

Just chiming in on the Sorcerer's hat. I remember going to MGM Studios in the old days, and seeing the old chinese theater right at the end of the street. I went back in 2005, and found the hat a bit distracting, but I didn't hate it the way some others seem to.

I'm more excited to see what TCM is going to do to the Great Movie Ride inside the building. Fingers crossed that they'll keep, and improve the Alien scene!

I think the hat was something that most people simply "got used to" seeing, rather than actually liking it (at least I fall into this category).

Careful in the fact they don't want to damage someone or something (besides the actual hat) in the deconstruction process. But, if you look at the pictures closely, it's quite clear they're saw cutting this thing apart with no regard to putting it back together. Just look at the cut around the moon. It's thankfully going to the scrap heap, not being relocated.

B7uUfnxCEAArYLX.jpg.e3db12a61efd33d738b3fece30bb35a0.jpg

In an email to me, they did say this,

"As I am sure you know, the Sorcerer's Hat joined the skyline of Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2001, and has been serving as the iconic figure for the park since. It is a great part of our history for the park and I am so glad you have such fond memories associated with it. Regretfully, we will not be able to provide the assistance you requested. Due to a great number of changes coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios, we are unsure of all of the new aspects and what this will mean for this great icon."

^The Guest Communications team delivers a standardized message for all future developments in the park. That response is no different. I'm not saying that things aren't happening at the park--I'm just letting you know that nothing they respond with will give you any idea of the scope, inspiration, timeframe or possibilities behind the removal of the hat.

^The Guest Communications team delivers a standardized message for all future developments in the park. That response is no different. I'm not saying that things aren't happening at the park--I'm just letting you know that nothing they respond with will give you any idea of the scope, inspiration, timeframe or possibilities behind the removal of the hat.

I suspect that it's the work of . . . the Mad Hatter!

Since the deconstruction of the hat isn't exactly something they can hide, my guess is they elect not to "trash it" because that would be pretty bad show. It's one thing to shed a tear over a former icon being taken down piece by piece. It's quite another to mercilessly take it out with a wrecking ball in plain sight.

Careful in the fact they don't want to damage someone or something (besides the actual hat) in the deconstruction process. But, if you look at the pictures closely, it's quite clear they're saw cutting this thing apart with no regard to putting it back together. Just look at the cut around the moon. It's thankfully going to the scrap heap, not being relocated.

Yeah, I went out and took some pics the other day and noticed the same thing...

B7-PhFlIYAE_eUK.jpg

B7-PhF4IQAE3BDk.jpg

B7-PhRxIgAASjSY.jpg

B7-PhRyIEAACUU_.jpg

B7-cRV-IUAEC_WK.jpg

B7-cRfgIYAA56vG.jpg

It's kind of a bummer. I like the hat, although I don't *love* it. I also don't *love* the Chinese Theater facade. I'm personally hoping they both eventually get ripped down in the changes coming to the studio and or at least something totally new is put in front of Great Movie Ride as I don't think that building is a very good centerpiece for the end of the street.

There is plenty of room between the end of Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese theater to re-imagine what that area will look like and finally give the park a proper, permanent icon.

895752032_ScreenShot2015-01-25at23_11_28.png.f7da941ee23939d80b9ba400301124f5.png