TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Looking on Google earth, I don't see anywhere that it would fit at the art of animation resort. I do think it would look great if they put it out by one of the highways coming towards The resort complex coming from the airport...

Although I don't like it at Hollywood studios, it is a nice icon to do something with, I hope they don't to scrap it...

It is interesting that Disney is trying to be more realistic with their theming, as they did with the entrance plaza of DCA. While I like the more realistic aspects a bit better, does this work as well from a business perspective? While HS is in need of some renovation, many people are also paying to go to the resort to be immersed in the Disney experience. It seems odd that they would prefer something that looks like a realistic street from Hollywood in the 1930's.

I wonder what the GP's view on Disney magic vs. realistic is. I prefer realistic, because I am kind of an architecture and history buff. I also go to Disney parks because I enjoy theme parks. Disney is my favorite chain, mainly because they have the best operations and cleanliness, not necessarily for the simple aspect of being able to see things relating to Disney-produced merchandise. However, many visitors do not enjoy all kinds of theme parks the same way I do, and are going more specifically for the Disney experience.

My parents and I are going to Orlando in March for two days at Universal and two at Disney. One of our days at Disney will be spent in the Magic Kingdom. Initially, we planned to spend the second at Hollywood Studios. However, upon considering that our trip is before the more crowded weeks at the end of the month, and that we'd have eleven hours in the park, we have begun exploring splitting the day between Hollywood Studios and the Animal Kingdom. Both parks have amazing attractions to offer, but I'm not sure either would fill a whole day. We stayed at MGM until closing when we were last there in summer 2004, but I think that's because it was more crowded and we did not enter during opening that morning.

So my question for TPR is do you guys think the $150 extra for the hopper feature on three tickets is worth it? Would having only slightly over five hours in each park make us feel rushed?

What do you guys think is better: a whole day in Hollywood Studios in early-to-mid March or a split day between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom? Sorry for the brevity of my post, I had a longer explanation typed up and it's seemingly disappeared. Thanks very much for your help!

What do you guys think is better: a whole day in Hollywood Studios in early-to-mid March or a split day between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom? Sorry for the brevity of my post, I had a longer explanation typed up and it's seemingly disappeared. Thanks very much for your help!

Split day is what I would choose. Visit AK first and hit up Everest, Kilamanjaro, Dinosaur, Bug's Life, and one of the shows (not necessarily in that order, though). You could knock those out in a few hours. Then head to the Studios and do Tower, Aerosmith, Toy Story, Star Tours, and then see Fantasmic.

I'll jump on the Split-day bandwagon as well. With a few suggestions.

Do Animal Kingdom in the morning with Safari, Everest (Single Rider), Kali if the weather cooperates to name a few attractions to focus on.

AK is a park that can really be done before Noon, so then head on over to DHS, which is where you should pre-book any fast passes that you want to make sure you ride. Rock n' Roller can be done with the Single Rider Line. Get FP+ for Toy Story if you haven't ridden it before.

That's my $.02, but I hope you enjoy your visit regardless!

So I'm going to Disney World for 5 days on the week of 22-26th of June. It'll be my first time there since 2001. (It'll be my third altogether, as I went in 1995 for 4 days when I was 10 as well. That trip was much better than the 3 day 2001 trip.) I will be staying off-site yet again. I was originally planning to stay on-site just for the magic hours, but 70% of the stuff I see says that it makes the parks really crowded for the regular hours and not to do it unless you plan to park hop right after morning magic hours or just like 2 hours before evening magic hours. They especially say Hollywood Studios is the worst with crowds for that. Anyway, Toy Story Midway Mania was not there when I went last time. I've heard horror stories about the wait for the attraction and was wondering if it was really worth more than say a 45 minute wait. I mean, i do plan to ride it. I will probably Fastpass+ it early in my 30 day window if possible. However, I was wondering what the real draw to the ride is... I mean, it's basically just sort of Mario Party on the move with Toy Story characters and 3D, right? Is it really all that? Just not seeing why it's so popular.

Since I never saw Disney Studios prior to the hats arrival, I'm indifferent to it being removed. It will return the look of Hollywood Blvd., but I agree with Robb that the hat is probably a more identifiable icon.

I owned a cast member at Hollywood studios.

The story goes :

After having troubles at the front gate, we got a special FastPass so that we can go to any ride.

We walked all the way to the Tower of Terror and made it our First (And Only) ride of the night.

We showed the FastPass to the lady at the Main Entrance and she let us in.

Now here is the funny part...

We get into the lobby, This cast member guy asks me to put my MagicBand into the scanner...

CM : "You do not have a FastPass reservation."

Me : *Shows Special FastPass ticket*

Other CM : "Ooohhh... Burn!"

CM : "Your lucky."

Me : "Can I keep the ticket?"

CM : "No."

We get into ride, I go weeeee, we get out, take a picture of HS sorcerer hat, go to Indy Experience, leave to epcot!

The original park icon is/was the "Earful" Tower. I think it was more of an excuse to put a water tower up more than anything, but they claimed it was the park icon. I've always felt it wasn't a good icon, but I also don't feel like the Chinese theater is a good Icon.

^^ put up earful tower as an excuse for to put up a water tower? When would anyone ever need an "excuse" to put up a water tower? Either you need a water tower or you don't. Besides the point Earful tower is not a real functioning water tower. Never has been never will, it simply exists for the sole purpose of being a park icon.

Not that everyone here is a huge fan of RunDisney, but I did notice that on a few of the shirts they had for Marathon weekend, for the "Four Parks" aspect of the race, the silhouettes were Cinderella Castle, Tree of Life, Spaceship Earth, and the Earful Tower. Very noticeable to me, and I wish that I had taken a photo of it.

On the contrary, the Marathon shirts this year had all the park icons on the sleeve, and I think that the Sorcerers hat was on the shirt. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend that ran Dopey to send me a picture of her shirt. Just interesting that potentially there were two different park icons used for DHS.

EDIT: Found out that the shirts that they gave out to participants (Marathon, Goofy and Dopey Challenges) had the Sorcerer's Hat on it: 528292011_SorcerersHat.thumb.jpg.21507656e2ebbc8f9f529a8171781b91.jpg

Marathon, Dopey and Goofy Challenge Shirts

The "I Did It" Shirts for those three had the Earful Tower on them:

1926354445_EarfulTower.thumb.jpg.be491ac2bb94e191be75501a1cda3928.jpg

Interesting...