TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Remind me NOT to listen to Disney fanboys!

This is some of the best life advice ever.

I did like the Great Movie ride back when I first rode it in the 1990s, but it seems so silly and dated now.

They need to replace TGMR with an exact replica of Hollywood Tour from Phantasialand.

dt

I can't really say I will miss the hat.. The Chinese theater looks much better as a centerpiece even though I think it should be updated soon. Any speculation on what rides will be coming to Hollywood Studios? Monsters Inc. door coaster? Toy Story playland?

I did like the Great Movie ride back when I first rode it in the 1990s, but it seems so silly and dated now.

They need to replace TGMR with an exact replica of Hollywood Tour from Phantasialand.

dt

Yes!

Just adding to the revamp and construction going on, when they announced the RunDisney races for 2015, there was one that was noticeably absent, the Tower of Terror 10-Miler. It was quite a popular race, but there were no confirmations about why the race wasn't included. Obvious rumors regarding the closures and removals of late.

I think it will be interesting the next couple of years. I did hear something that we shouldn't expect an announcement regarding what's going on until the Summer Preview event in 2015.

Not sure if I understood this entirely. Is this a race all over DHS that's likely to be impacted by a lot of construction? Or are you suggesting the actual Tower of Terror's days might be numbered as well? I just can't see that happening. It's one of the biggest draws, usually has a huge line, and one of the only high thrill attractions at the park. The only attraction there I can think of being less likely to close would be the newly upgraded Star Tours.

I don't make the decisions for the park, of course. Just hard for me to imagine anything happening to Tower of Terror.

On my first visit to WDW, the year TOT opened, the family made the trip over to the park and experienced the view without the hat. It was just an "ok" view. It certainly was not like staring down a main street with a castle. The Chinese theater, now in LA called the TCL Chinese Theater (amazing Imax now), to me wasn't an iconic structure. I think they should keep the hat, but in a different location such as by Fantasmic. Makes far more sense over there.

I think they should keep the Great Movie Ride, but change the attraction into a more dynamic dark ride. Whether that be a spin-off of Mystic Manor, or the ride vehicles of Jones, 4D like Spider-man, etc. l like the concept of traveling through movie history as the basis of an attraction, but the presentation has fallen behind the times.

On my first visit to WDW, the year TOT opened, the family made the trip over to the park and experienced the view without the hat. It was just an "ok" view. It certainly was not like staring down a main street with a castle. The Chinese theater, now in LA called the TCL Chinese Theater (amazing Imax now), to me wasn't an iconic structure.

And this is pretty much EXACTLY why the hat was plopped down in front of it. Sure, the crazy Disney fanboys want the "original vision" to come back, but what most of them don't realize is that the Chinese theater also wasn't a good icon either. Unless you were from California or were a movie buff, most people didn't know what the strange looking building at the end of the street was. The hat at least resonates with a LOT more people who come through the turnstiles and walks down the street.

The biggest problem with the hat, at least IMO, wasn't the structure itself, but just the fact that it appeared to be such a temporary structure and that it makes the end of the street a big confusing looking, especially when they have that stage up for most of the year. When you look down Hollywood Blvd you see this mish-mash of stage, hat, and theater all on top of each other at the end.

Personally, I'd like to see them knock down BOTH structures and come up with something that is truly iconic for that park.

I found the Great Movie Ride to be very dull as well. The slow pace is fine and dandy through the scenes of Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, etc., but for scenes like Alien...just no. I think they have a great concept, but it just needs to be modernized.

The animatronic figures were of mixed quality, too. For example, the John Wayne and Wicked Witch figures look great and move smoothly, but the Gene Kelly "Singin' in the Rain" figure is, well, not very good.

Time for an upgrade or something new. I'd love to see them make good use of the ride technology of Tokyo's Pooh or Hong Kong's Mystic Manor at this park.

Edited by cfc

The one thing everyone seems to be in agreement with is that this park is going to have to undergo a DCA-esque demolition and redo. While I'm not someone who expects a new E-ticket every year I go to Disney (those people are crazy) DHS was dated 5 years ago and now it's just a mess. TWDC has acquired and developed so much strong intellectual property that they doubtlessly will use well in whatever they want to do here. The two things I'm most curious to see are what's going to become of the Great Movie Ride (great concept but it needs a re-do that could result in a new ride system or even new ride building depending on how far they take it) and how they plan to keep this park open while they will probably shut it down to a point where it has fewer attractions than it did 20 years ago.

If they end up totally dumping any trace of "studio" themes, will we look back on the late 80s/90s as creating an industry fad that manifested into an entire type of theme park? I guess most of them evolved into a "ride the movies" mission instead of a "go behind the camera" one, but it's still a little funny to think about when Disney and Universal tried to have all of this live studio programming and film-making in Orlando.

DHS definitely has the most potential of all the parks in the Disney stable. It has tons of land, has 2 of the 5 best rides on the property, and WDAS has put out a lot of great movies back-to-back that can be incorporated along with Pixar and Lucasfilm properties into a theme that fits. DHS shouldn't be in the basement of the major Orlando parks (if there wasn't going to be an overhaul of DHS, IOA could overtake the park eventually). This might sound insane, but in 15 years it could be the number 5 or 6 park in Disney's stable (Definitely not going to pass TDL/TDS or the American flagship).

I keep hearing the rumors of a Cars Land "Radiator Springs Racer" ride and people on the west coast complain that they want to keep that ride for themselves. Ok. How about putting in basically the same ride, but theme it to Sugar Rush Racers? I'd MUCH rather prefer a Wreck-It Ralph themed attraction to Cars. Anyone else?

I think WDW should be showcasing the really great movies WDAS has been putting out and with an Incredibles sequel in development, that's a "franchise" that has no attraction presence in the American parks. Cars is going to be a cash grab with whatever attraction they theme to it.

Just adding to the revamp and construction going on, when they announced the RunDisney races for 2015, there was one that was noticeably absent, the Tower of Terror 10-Miler. It was quite a popular race, but there were no confirmations about why the race wasn't included. Obvious rumors regarding the closures and removals of late.

I think it will be interesting the next couple of years. I did hear something that we shouldn't expect an announcement regarding what's going on until the Summer Preview event in 2015.

Not sure if I understood this entirely. Is this a race all over DHS that's likely to be impacted by a lot of construction? Or are you suggesting the actual Tower of Terror's days might be numbered as well? I just can't see that happening. It's one of the biggest draws, usually has a huge line, and one of the only high thrill attractions at the park. The only attraction there I can think of being less likely to close would be the newly upgraded Star Tours.

I don't make the decisions for the park, of course. Just hard for me to imagine anything happening to Tower of Terror.

Sorry for confusion, I'm talking about the race itself. It's centered around DHS, and all that it offers. There's also a after race party that goes on until about 3-4 AM. They might have to re-route other RunDisney Races that usually go through DHS for a little bit as well.

I keep hearing the rumors of a Cars Land "Radiator Springs Racer" ride and people on the west coast complain that they want to keep that ride for themselves. Ok. How about putting in basically the same ride, but theme it to Sugar Rush Racers? I'd MUCH rather prefer a Wreck-It Ralph themed attraction to Cars. Anyone else?

Yes PLEASE! I hope someone from Disney is reading this!

Sorry for confusion, I'm talking about the race itself. It's centered around DHS, and all that it offers. There's also a after race party that goes on until about 3-4 AM. They might have to re-route other RunDisney Races that usually go through DHS for a little bit as well.

Ah, okay! Sorry. I'm not that familiar with the races, wasn't sure how construction in a park or loss of one particular ride would affect them.

Yes PLEASE! I hope someone from Disney is reading this!

I second this. A Wreck It Ralph area would be great. Especially since a sequel is rumored or perhaps on the way.

I'll jump on the Wreck-It Ralph bandwagon. WDAS has been putting out some great stuff the past couple years. And as others have said, the amount of tie-ins is insane with Ralph.

As for Springs Racers, would they really bring another version of Test Track to WDW? I'm not completely ruling it out, but would it make sense to have two similar rides located near each other? I think that it will be fine, but just a thought.

^ I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, but think about it. It wouldn't be just the ride that's the same, I'm envisioning making the car the same way that you currently do with TT, just with Candy instead of outlandish vehicle parts.

I remember when watching the movie and thinking about how to turn it into a ride.

I never cared if DHS got a Cars Land or not, but I think a Sugar Rush race ride would be great!!

I'll jump on the Wreck-It Ralph bandwagon. WDAS has been putting out some great stuff the past couple years. And as others have said, the amount of tie-ins is insane with Ralph.

As for Springs Racers, would they really bring another version of Test Track to WDW? I'm not completely ruling it out, but would it make sense to have two similar rides located near each other? I think that it will be fine, but just a thought.

But thats the thing, its not Test Track. It might use the same ride system, but its a different theme, and also, not even in the same park.

But thats the thing, its not Test Track. It might use the same ride system, but its a different theme, and also, not even in the same park.

Exactly. There are already so many attractions that are similar that you can point to which people don't even seem to bring up....

Muppets, Captain EO, and Bugs are all 4D movies using almost the exact same technology.

Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear are both Toy Story themed shooting dark rides.

They just opened a Mine Train coaster in a park that already had a mine train coaster! And the resort technically has THREE of them!

How many "boat rides" do we have? Pirates, Small World, Grand Fiesta, Mael...oh, wait...

GMR and Ellen's Lesbian Hour both use the same ride system.

Not only is Dumbo the same ride as the carpets and triceratops, but then they opened a second Dumbo!

Nemo and Mermaid practically use the same ride vehicles.

And let's not forget that no one complained at all for the years that Star Tours and Body Wars both existed at the same resort!

Personally, I would LOVE to see another ride based on the Test Track ride system at the resort. The ride system is just a way to move guests through the show. It's really the "show" that matters more.

Exactly. There are already so many attractions that are similar that you can point to which people don't even seem to bring up....

Muppets, Captain EO, and Bugs are all 4D movies using almost the exact same technology.

Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear are both Toy Story themed shooting dark rides.

They just opened a Mine Train coaster in a park that already had a mine train coaster! And the resort technically has THREE of them!

How many "boat rides" do we have? Pirates, Small World, Grand Fiesta, Mael...oh, wait...

GMR and Ellen's Lesbian Hour both use the same ride system.

Not only is Dumbo the same ride as the carpets and triceratops, but then they opened a second Dumbo!

Nemo and Mermaid practically use the same ride vehicles.

And let's not forget that no one complained at all for the years that Star Tours and Body Wars both existed at the same resort!

Personally, I would LOVE to see another ride based on the Test Track ride system at the resort. The ride system is just a way to move guests through the show. It's really the "show" that matters more.

This. Not to mention it's a ride system that's unique to Disney.

Edited by DJeXeL

They could theme a ride with that ride system to The Black Cauldron and it'll still be great.

If they really are gonna take a DCA approach to DHS, then it's gonna be awesome regardless of what they do. I'm all in for rides based on Pixar and WDAS' most recent films. Heck, I'd kill for anything based on the old films too! They could even come up with a completely new property that I'm sure would win most people over. Regardless of what happens, I'm sure DHS is in for something BIG.

It does make me wonder how they'll deal with The Great Movie Ride, though. I honestly think they'll either completely gut out the attraction or just bulldoze it down for something new. With all the different mergers and acquisitions that have happened in the 25 years the ride has been open, it wouldn't make sense for them to keep it around as it currently stands. Plus, with all of their own branches and mergers, they could come up with something much better.