TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

The horror! I don't know how Disney will survive! Paint chips, crumbs, broken USB ports, the end is definitely near. Next thing you know, they'll be getting rid of their 100% factual, absolutely historical and authentic cultural rides for rides people actually want!

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg.fe7d5cbc89ea6950e1ddfed48912999b.jpg

http://clickorlando.com/news/sorcerers-hat-to-be-removed-from-disneys-hollywood-studios/29323994

Sorcerer's Hat to be removed from Disney's Hollywood Studios

Breaking Theme World news. For the past 13 years, it has served as the icon on Disney's Hollywood Studios. This view is soon to disappear into history:

Disney Spokesman Bryan Malenius just confirmed to Local 6 the park plans to reimagine the park's central plaza by removing the Sorcerer's Hat in early 2015. That means we may have a view like this again:

Removing the hat will restore the careful perspective to Hollywood Boulevard. The hat debuted in September 2001 as part of the "100 Years of Magic" celebration that marked Walt's 100th birthday. Originally, it was to be temporary. But temporary lasts a long time at Disney.

That's not the only change. Disney's walkthrough attraction "The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow" will be closing on Nov. 6.

The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow debuted in December 2012 with a lot of special effects, and not a lot of substance. Still, kids loved seeing Jack Sparrow in person.

Disney describes it this way: "State-of-the-art technology brings the swashbuckling world of Captain Jack, from an eerie treasure cove to an epic ship-to-ship battle. The attraction is included with theme park admission, located in Soundstage 4."

The effects are widely believed to have been a test for Shanghai Disneyland's Pirates attraction. It replaced a walkthrough Narnia Exhibit.

Just weeks ago, Disney closed the iconic Backlot Studio Tram Tour. These closings all point to big changes coming soon.

"Work continues on bringing new experiences to life at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and we look forward to sharing more information at a later date," Disney officials said.

image.jpg.cae2ba19ae7cf5aae5e0d3e22386bb21.jpg

image.jpg.8b92b021ab6f7363ba085e1659ca6a7a.jpg

image.jpg.4d652e06c004d0d36868da656a827afc.jpg

^^ I hope it stays a nice open spaced plaza, which is what it originally was, when the Studios opened.

And from above ~ you'll then be able to find a (not so) Hidden Mickey, LOL!

(Although the current park maps may already show it. Haven't seen one, lately.)

My family and I happened to be in WDW when they were in the process of building the giant hat. We were driving somewhere on the WDW property when we saw a big piece of the hat on a flatbed truck - stuck under an overpass. There were a bunch of suits and other people standing around wondering what to do. It looked like they were trying to get the air out of the tires so they could move it one way or the other.

Never really cared for it once I saw it finished years later, but I'll always have the memory of the piece stuck under the overpass.

^^ I hope it stays a nice open spaced plaza, which is what it originally was, when the Studios opened.

And from above ~ you'll then be able to find a (not so) Hidden Mickey, LOL!

(Although the current park maps may already show it. Haven't seen one, lately.)

I have a feeling that since the Hat is going away, that any reference to the hidden mickey will be leaving along with it.

It's a little strange to see the suits removing the supposed icon of the park, but I say push forward! I don't like how slow ride investment has been at WDW's support parks and I am especially on board with Star Wars/Any Pixar/Main entrance overhaul/New shows at DHS both because I enjoy all of those IPs and because DHS needs new stuff badly. Get those cranes moving!

For everyone who's been complaining, DAK additions and DHS overhaul are going to be really great presents to open. Hopefully all done before the decade.

I'm honestly surprised to find out that the Sorcerer's Hat had so much hate in the first place. I still remember going to the Disney MGM Studios (the new name never stuck with me) when I was 10 and taking multiple photos of the big ol' hat, even they all looked identical because I took them around the same exact spot. I always thought it was it was more appropriate to have something big and eye-catching like that to serve as the park's main symbol than the original water tower used to be. Also, even though plenty are people are gonna be happy to see the Chinese Theater from a distance again, II have a hunch that it won't be long until the next big thing will be that'll inevitably occupy that big spot in the middle of the park will be.

O giant hat, I bid you a fond farewell.

I'd probably still rank it far below the 1st incarnation of Disney's California Adventure. At least the hat has sort of a cult following; I don't remember anyone having fond memories of Eisner's hack-job.

I think a Buena Vista Street approach would be appropriate for a renovation, bringing out more character to properly represent Hollywood's "Golden Age" years. Maybe they could do special events at the theater when new films come out and replicate an old-timey premiere party. That'd be cool!

Maybe they will have some Frozen themed plaza or new attraction. And then connect it to the attraction at Epcot by a carriage of reindeers and have "Marshmallow" chase after you! (taking a page from Universal for connecting the Potter lands)

Either way, I'm glad it's going away. I remember going to MGM Studios back in the early 90's and thinking the Chinese Theater was awesome looking. When I went back in 2009 and saw a big freaking hat in the way, I was a little disappointed. All these closures of rides definitely means something new (and possibly big) is coming.

Jimmy "TRON Coaster?!?!?!" Bo

DHS is going to be a giant construction zone for the next couple of years. It may affect attendance, but then again all the good attractions are still open, so who knows.

The park is going to look completely different in a couple of years, and I can't wait.