TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

I wonder if they may keep some of the attractions part of the tour. Like the sub simulation and Disaster Canyon. It seems to me that they could easily be turned into an interesting audience theater type stand alone attraction. Replace the tram stop area with stadium seating. that way they gain the space from the tram tour and still keep some of the attractions as they were only slightly modified. Either way, I am in agreement with Disney on this. The tour was dated and the space is easily used for better purposes.

Hey, this means my sister won't be able to drag me on this next year! Leaving me more time to soak in some good Disney attractions. And maybe this means we finally get the Monsters Inc dark ride? Since it's nearest to the Pixar stuff, I figure that's what it'll end up being mostly. Which is fine with me, but I'd prefer some more Star Wars attractions!

They could announce a closure to everything at that park except Sunset Strip and it wouldn't disappoint me. Just scrap half of the park and start from scratch!

They could rip out Indy and create a whole Star Wars land, rip out the back lot tours and create a whole Pixar land. Maybe leave and update the Great Movie ride and they've got an awesome new property.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Lights Motors Action show. Whatever is coming to the back lot area that attraction is in kind of an akaward place. I'm not sure if they will keep it, scrap it, or re-theme but it will be an interesting development. Personally I love the show but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't fit into the long term plan for the park as a whole, whatever that might be.

I've always thought that the front half of the park was some of the best work Disney has ever done when it comes to theming--they really captured the ambience of "Old Hollywood," and its fun to walk around it. But the back half of the park was mostly "soundstages" and facades and wasn't nearly as nice.

I have high hopes that we'll be seeing some cool stuff to replace the old Studio Tour.

I think the main problem with the park is that they built it too small to begin with, and basically land locked with with roads. The studio itself was to small to be any use and the theme park area was extremely cramped during the first couple of years, that's why they opened up areas of the studio tour to guest, creating the shift from themed areas to sound stage backlot.

I think the Tram area (already announced), Muppet area, and City Streets and the kids play area are all going to close before the end of the year. I would think the Stunt Show will go too, but its not old enough...yet, but it could go in 2015 easily (if they wanted to close it). I don't think Indy is going anywhere at the moment. And the backstage area where the tram went through the buildings could stay or go, don't really have any thoughts on those. But this is all just me speculating on what makes the most sense "IF" they were to try and overhaul the park. And lets face it, everyone thinks they will, haha.

I think the main problem with the park is that they built it too small to begin with, and basically land locked with with roads. The studio itself was to small to be any use and the theme park area was extremely cramped during the first couple of years, that's why they opened up areas of the studio tour to guest, creating the shift from themed areas to sound stage backlot.

Roads are easily moved, I think that's the easiest part! lol

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b974387a02289d2f0dc392ba18dd7090.jpg

Not to mention the area past Rockin' they can expand to. Also the area where the Hollywood stage is. The park has lots of room to grow, if Disney wants to invest in it.

I think they will keep the Streets of America section for now as it has the Lights, Motors, Action show, once what ever they do with the Studio Tour is complete then I think they will turn their attention to Streets of America. Also the Wardrobe Department building that the tram drove through might stay since it handles costumes for the entire resort.

^ I was just thinking to my self that they could reroute that entrance road along the waterway...

I think they will keep the Streets of America section for now as it has the Lights, Motors, Action show, once what ever they do with the Studio Tour is complete then I think they will turn their attention to Streets of America. Also the Wardrobe Department building that the tram drove through might stay since it handles costumes for the entire resort.

^ I was just thinking to my self that they could reroute that entrance road along the waterway...

The thing with the studio tour is that it really didn't take up much room, it snaked through and around stuff and really isn't that significant of a space. That's the main reason I think we will see more stuff close. As well, with Frozen Fun happening, they could get rid of the Osborn Lights and use Frozen on the stage instead. It all just seems to fit as a master plan.

And yeah, the costuming and other buildings might stay or go, no clue.

I also think Echo Lake along with the American idol building will go as well, but there's so much that can be done, we'll have to wait and see!

^ Thats what I'm excited for, there really is no clear direction of what they are going to do to the park. I think the echo lake area will become Star Wars land, although I would hate to see Indy go, give the show some new scenes and effects and it will have lasting value. I'm really looking forward to how this pans out.

I do hope they don't just bulldoze the back of the park all at once like some suggested. I'm going next June, first time in 14 years, and I'd like to experience Muppetvision 3D one more time. The rest of the back of the park I don't care about. There's not much to do back there as it is. I can't believe they still have the Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area. I mean, the movie hasn't even been released to blu-ray yet, so Disney obviously thinks it doesn't have much value. If anything retheme it to A Bug's Life.

I kind of wish they'd make the whole back area a Pixar area and if they want more Star Wars, make a whole new park for it. Disney definitely has the room for it.

A few things here, first, its much cheaper to blow out the back, then to try and wiggle new stuff around existing stuff...when the existing stuff will possibly ALSO be going. But as of right now, Muppets will live on at DCA! But more importantly, I seriously doubt WDW will ever get a 5th theme park; just my opinion. But as it is, they only have 2 full day parks. They don't need another park that wont keep people there all day. Also, I know people that spend thousands and thousands of dollars to spend 7-10 days at WDW as it is because they already have 4 parks and 2 water parks! I'm not even sure the guests could even handle another park financially, it would overwhelm people! It'd cost them too much. That's not to say I don't want or wish there was a fully realized Star Wars Land or whole park, I just don't think the 5th Gate will ever happen at WDW.

Oh, I'm actually pretty sure it will. Most thought they were done adding parks with DIsney/MGM, but then about ten years later we got Animal Kingdom. I think a new park could come, just not any time soon. Of course, I do think they should fix up the parks they have first. Magic Kingdom is almost perfect, but Epcot needs more stuff in World Showcase for families to do together (unless they want to watch dad get more and more drunk as he drinks around the world). They are fixing this with the Frozen redo, but they need more. Hollywood Studios looks like it's becoming a mini-California Adventure for the east coast, which is alright, I guess. And Animal Kingdom should be much better after Avatar area opens in a few years.

By the way, which park gets the least attendance there? I'm sure it's either Animal Kingdom or DHS, but just was curious.

"Here is the global Top 10, with 2013 attendance in millions and change from the previous year's revised number:"

Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom 18.6 6.0%

Tokyo Disneyland 17.2 15.9%

Disneyland 16.2 1.5%

Tokyo Disney Sea 14.1 11.3%

Epcot 11.2 1.5%

Disneyland Paris 10.4 -6.9%

Disney's Animal Kingdom 10.2 2.0%

Disney's Hollywood Studios 10.1 2.0%

Universal Studios Japan 10.1 4.1%

Disney California Adventure 8.5 9.5%

www.themeparkinsider.com

"Here is the global Top 10, with 2013 attendance in millions and change from the previous year's revised number:"

Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom 18.6 6.0%

Tokyo Disneyland 17.2 15.9%

Disneyland 16.2 1.5%

Tokyo Disney Sea 14.1 11.3%

Epcot 11.2 1.5%

Disneyland Paris 10.4 -6.9%

Disney's Animal Kingdom 10.2 2.0%

Disney's Hollywood Studios 10.1 2.0%

Universal Studios Japan 10.1 4.1%

Disney California Adventure 8.5 9.5%

www.themeparkinsider.com

That is a steep increase with the Tokyo parks.