TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Flashback (SFMM) be operating in 2006?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harumph. I loved Flashback. It was my default go-to ride before Scream was erected. There was never a wait. And it was a unique experience. I'm not sure I understand all the animosity towards it. No one has to go on it, and it's way off to the side of the park, so it's not obstructing any kind of foot traffic.. I just don't get it. It's fun, some people, [Okay, like, 3 people] actually enjoy it... I would like to see it re-opened, but realistically, I see it being dismantled and replaced with some lame new-fangled launch ride, or maybe a few more purveyors of disgusting and overpriced food-stuffs.

[/sigh...]

If they dont build a building around Flashback I dont think they could fit a good ride in its place if it is demolished. If they want to build a good ride in its place they may have to extend it into Hurricane Harbor or out ot into the walkway They most likley would build a small but not thrilling ride if they could only build where Flashback was

Flashback is literally about 20 feet away from an activity pool and 5 waterslide complex at Hurricane Harbor.

Lifeguards need to be able to hear, so the rumor for awhile about why it was closed during the summer was because of that reason. From what I understand that's just an excuse.

I'd have to say this is an excuse, as well. I can specifically remember the damned thing running while i was at HH years ago. The ride is just absolutely terrible - the ride ops even hate it. It has a certain place in my heart, though. Poor thing. LOL.

^Yeah, I don't understand how Tatsu got approved when that park really needs non-coaster attractions and they don't even run all of the coasters they have now. SFMM needs flats and a dark ride IMO

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. If you stop and think about it, the park REALLY lacks non-coaster rides. I mean, we all love them, of course, but you need some change in there. Upcharge attractions are cool, but other parks are still pulling in big crowds with permanent flat rides. I'm sure one reason is space - they don't have a lot of flat land to ad stuff like that, but there's plenty of stuff that I think could be removed or modified to add some different flats in there.

^Yeah, I don't understand how Tatsu got approved when that park really needs non-coaster attractions and they don't even run all of the coasters they have now. SFMM needs flats and a dark ride IMO

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. If you stop and think about it, the park REALLY lacks non-coaster rides. I mean, we all love them, of course, but you need some change in there. Upcharge attractions are cool, but other parks are still pulling in big crowds with permanent flat rides. I'm sure one reason is space - they don't have a lot of flat land to ad stuff like that, but there's plenty of stuff that I think could be removed or modified to add some different flats in there.

Cheers to that. I'm at the park pretty much every weekend, and recently I've just been left walking around the park, hanging out for hours in the smoking areas, and riding Granny Grand Prix. I love the coasters, but when the lines are at most 15 minutes, and I've ridden all of the coasters at least twice each, I just kind of want a more simple, relaxing ride. MM needs a dark ride, badly. Maybe not a lame one, for children, a la DLand, but one that combines thrills and action without resorting to speed and g-forces. I don't know. Call me crazy.

I said it before, enclosing Flashback in an insulated housing would be awesome. Re-profileing the trains and adding some cool effects could give the mountain that sorely needed extreme dark ride.

As far as flats. Your only preaching to the choir about that. They realy need 4 or 5 of them spread out among the park. Everybody always says that they don't have the space. MM has tons of space to put flats. Even giant flats. As far as the terrain goes. Used creatively like with Tatsu, Revy, and Ninja, the terrain could add elements that other parks could only dream of having.

Think about a 200' Star Flyer or a 300' S&S tower ride in Superman plaza. To people riding that ride, they would feel like they were 400' or 500' off the ground. Terrifying!

Any one of the old Monorail stops as well as the unused tram storage area could be torn down and the space used for a giant flat. Better yet, the tunnel through the mountain monorail stop would make for an awesome coaster element.

The old Skyway station at the summit is begging for a cool ride in its place. Mabey a topple tower over the edge of the hill. Awesome!

What I'm saying is that the mountain has tons of space if used creatively.

Guy "Put me in charge of MM Imagineering." Koepp

Yes, changing Flashback into an indoor extreme darkride, would be great. And for the effects, don't only use lights and lasers, use some great music inside the building. But right now I don´t know what the new theming of this ride could be.

And for the flat rides, that you are talking about. I don't know if i'm right, but I think SFMM is the only Six Flags park that is missing a modern tower ride. A multi tower ride from S&S would be great. But Last year i've done Hurakan Condor (USPA). This is an Intamin giant drop with different seat configerations. There is the normal sit-down, a sit-down tilted, floorless and a floorless tilting. This is also a 300' high tower with great theming.

And when SFMM needs more flats. Just take a Starflyer, like Guy T. Koepp already said. But a Giant top-spin or giant frisbee would be great too.

"Think about a 200' Star Flyer or a 300' S&S tower ride in Superman plaza." (Guy T. Koepp)

I doubt we'll see an S&S tower at SFMM, but a Star Flyer would be the most incredible ride, especially up on the mountain somewhere. I want to ride one of those so bad!

Eric

Enclose Flashback??? Are you guys nuts??? Do you guys really want to ride Flashback and not be able to see what is coming next???

I'd have to say this is an excuse, as well. I can specifically remember the damned thing running while i was at HH years ago. The ride is just absolutely terrible - the ride ops even hate it. It has a certain place in my heart, though. Poor thing. LOL.

It's a convienent but valid excuse. From what I gather, there were a few problems with delayed responses from the lifegaurds that were blamed on not being able to hear...and that was all they needed to see on paper to take Flashbacks budget away without any further investigation.

And the ops didn't hate it, right Zak?

Enclose Flashback??? Are you guys nuts??? Do you guys really want to ride Flashback and not be able to see what is coming next???

It's a convienent but valid excuse. From what I gather, there were a few problems with delayed responses from the lifegaurds that were blamed on not being able to hear...and that was all they needed to see on paper to take Flashbacks budget away without any further investigation.

If you recall what I said. Re-profile the cars. That meaning lap bars instead of OTSRs. Hell yes! This ride could be great again!

Guy "Applying for a Job as 6F Imagineer." Koepp

I think Masteller and I were the only two ops in the whole park that actually liked the ride and liked working there. Even then, I doubt Chris liked it.

I think I'm the only person in the whole park that actually requested to work there!