TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Flashback (SFMM) be operating in 2006?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the new management, I do not forsee them removing Flashback.

I hope they decided to either continue the program to replace all the wheels on the two trains with the old Goliath wheels (the ones that used to melt from the friction due to the speed when it first opened) and get the other train that is in ruins back together or get all new trains (since the trains were the major reason the ride was closed to begin with).

I'm sorta hoping for the all new trains thing because those trains that are there now are outdated and in desperate need of being replaced or upgraded.

Oh yeah...Here's a couple of responses to some posts I saw earlier in this thread...

1) No. The power source was not moved from Flashback to Tornado. In fact, from what I've heard the ride has just been locked out. So the power to the PLC is off and locked so no one can turn it on.

2) Yes. Those spots of paint on the top level have been there a while. They were there when I last operated the ride back in 2004 (yes, I said operated and 2004 in the same sentence...it's a long story), so it's been at least 2 years, and probably more because I remember them being there when I was the lead there back in '02-'03.

3) I'm sure a lot of people know this, but Flashback was originally designed to be an indoor ride, hence the reason why it is so compact. The model name for the ride is the "Space Diver". Space because space is black, and diver...well, you can figure that part out.

[These I'm adding for fun...]

4) The name 'Flashback' came from the flashing lights that were added to the ride when it was moved to SFMM from SFGa in 1992. Before it was moved to CA, the ride was called "Z-Force" because of the of the trains. They travel on the Z plane (as opposed to the X or Y, horizontal or vertical) of a 4-D surface.

5) Rumor has it that there is another Space Diver sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for a buyer or to be built. Anyone want to help me find it?

Ok...That's all the useless Flashback info I have to share right now...

--Zak "The last person to operate and ride on Flashback" Winnick

^ I've been around...Just never really had the opportunity to share my info...

And to attempt to answer your question...They CAN open it, and I'll be the first in line to ride it when and if it does open this year (or any year, for that matter).

i reckon they should do a new drop tower too but make it a world record heightwise and have something really unique about it....i dont know what but something thrilling!

I always thought that it'd be cool if on a drop tower you get on at ground level and as you're slowly going up to the top, the floor that you loaded on goes down like 30 or 40 more feet underground. So when you drop you don't stop when you reach ground level, you keep falling. And maybe when you get to the bottom they can shoot you back up to the top. I think it'd be fun.

Zak, you left out the best fact of all: On the PLC, Z-force is crossed out with a grease pencil and flashback is written under it (also with a grease pencil)!

I totally forgot about that! I have a picture of it around here on a CD...I'll have to dig it out and post it!

i reckon they should do a new drop tower too but make it a world record heightwise and have something really unique about it....i dont know what but something thrilling!

I always thought that it'd be cool if on a drop tower you get on at ground level and as you're slowly going up to the top, the floor that you loaded on goes down like 30 or 40 more feet underground. So when you drop you don't stop when you reach ground level, you keep falling. And maybe when you get to the bottom they can shoot you back up to the top. I think it'd be fun.

that sounds cool!!

Why don't SFMM sell "Flashback" if they leave it SBNO, as this way they will have some space to build a better/new coaster.

What's it like to ride..?

Is it rough..?

Is it Rough! Its rough as hell! Riding it is basically taking two crash cymbals, banging them on your head as hard as you can and repeat process for 2-3 min! The only difference is if you've never ridden it before, You get to add 1 credit to your count!

They wont sell Flashback because its currently giving them the world record for most coasters! They hopefully won't open it because they might get sued for someone complaing about head torcher! So its basiclly SBNO. I would love to see Flashback get scrapped and get replaced by A modern flat ride or a spinning coaster! California needs one badley!

Kevin"I'll ride 3 in 2007! "Bujold

There is no way to e-mail the park so i called, the woman that i spoke to said there is no plans that she was aware of to reopen flashback. However, she did say that they were going to try and open the skytower in time for the opening of tatsu. But sky tower will be opening.

Now she could totally be full of it and not allowed to say anything, but has anyone heard from their own inside sources?