TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Is it just me or does BGW desperatly need a new coaster?

I went to BGW last year during spring break and i would love to go back anytime. I've noticed though that BGW hasn't had a new coaster in nearly 6 years (it may be 7)

Once again BGW has not announced a new coaster, why does Tampa get all the glory? So this here topic is designed to let your mind wander, what kind of coaster do you wish BGW would introduce? please make it practicle though.

ADMIN EDIT: Please read the posting rules about grammar.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK for me i would love to see a compact intamin hyper or accel over where fire drachen use to be, it could maybe even cruise along on its first drop into a helix intertwined or along the rhine river? this isn't totally impossible but then again the company of busch gardens never listen or notice what they actually need do they?

Also I wouldn't suggest a woodie, I just feel that it doesnt fit the standards fans have learned to love from their ability to keep their coasters as smooth as the day they were born after all look at Nessie and BBW

whadya think?

They definitely need a new roller coaster. The last one they got was in 1999 when they put in Apollo's Chariot. In that time, they've eliminated 2 coasters, Drachen Fire and the Wilde Maus. I still love going down there, and would love to go this summer simply for Curse of DarKastle, but a coaster would make it that much better.

First, I agree that it's time for a new coaster; however, I think DarKastle was a smart move last year. (BGW has never had a dark ride, to the best of my knowledge, and now it has a first-class one--an excellent trade for the Wilde Maus, which went to Tampa.)

Second, looks like the chance for new coaster is 2007. Busch applied for a "height waiver" for a structure taller than 60 feet. Of course, they haven't mentioned what sort of "structure" they're going to build.

We shall see.

A couple years back, I wanted to go down there. Then I realized that I should wait until they build a new coaster. Im still waiting. You guys will see me down there when they open up a new one.

That's a bad idea. Sounds like you have Cedar Point Syndrome. Just because a park doesn't have a lot of coasters doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. BGW is a prime example of this. It's my favorite corporate park because it has a little of everything.

As far as coasters go, I'd really love to see any well-themed coaster. A terrain Intamin launcher with a twisting dive towards the Rhine River would be excellent.

BGW isn't desperate for anything. It is a great park that suffers from thrill seekers who need a new rush every year. Busch just built a $25M ride in DarKastle. They are not going to build a cheesy coaster just for the sake of building it (kind of like King's Dominion). BGW isn't about that stuff. It is fine that KD is, that is their niche. BGW doesn't really have a singular focus, but tries to appeal to families, thrillseekers, shoppers, and food connoisseurs. They have maintained their steadiness while other parks have spent themselves into debt and high operational costs but haven't increased attendance. People that are waiting to go to Busch are making a mistake, the park is great as is. If they do add anything next year, it is sure to be another great groundbreaking ride.

No argument there, DragonLord. BGW is a beautiful, first-class park, and I renew my annual passport each year (and I look forward to chowing down on baby backs at the Smokehouse and going to Howl-o-Scream).

Yeah, it's been a while between coasters--but you can usually count on Busch to do it right when they design and build one (Drachen Fire notwithstanding).

I agree. I found BGW to be a fantastic park, with much more to appreciate than coasters. I hate to say it, but as much as I like coasters, I found Cedar Point to be an increasingly unpleasant and overly crowded place to visit up until my last visit in 2002 (The fact that there were almost no trees or theming to get out of the August sun didn't help much)...With the addition of TTD, I can imagine it's become even more overpopulated with each passing summer.

In 2004, I decided to go to BGW instead, and I loved that experience much more. I'd hate to see this place buckle under the pressure of the "Build more coasters!" rabble, and fall into the same chaos that now plagues Cedar Point, and other similar parks.

However, I think it would be nice to see this park build a good woodie, one that really takes advantage of the terrain in that area.

First, I agree that it's time for a new coaster; however, I think DarKastle was a smart move last year. (BGW has never had a dark ride, to the best of my knowledge, and now it has a first-class one--an excellent trade for the Wilde Maus, which went to Tampa.)

what about corkscrew hill? i thought that was great, or is that just me? so everyone is agreed? intamin rocket? Well what if the intamin rocket was eliminated from the choices? I would then maybe like to see a Premier Launchie or maybe they could implant a giant inverted boomerang (a.k.a. Deja Vu) along the Rhyne River. Sure it would be a clone, but at least it would be along the coast giving a sensational feeling eh?

While I would love to see BGW get some sort of Intamin Accelerator or B&M Dive Machine or looper, I don't think the park is THAT desperate for a coaster. Sure, in times where most park's solution to dwindling attendance is "add another multi-million dollar coaster", Busch throws in a show or two, rethemes an area, adds some animal stuff, and THEN goes balls out getting a super big ride that draws lots of crowds. And to top it off, the park really isn't suffering attendance-wise I don't believe. I'm sure we'll see another coaster added by 2009, but I think BGW is a little leary of adding another big space consuming coaster if the public isn't going to go gaga over it, ala Drachen Fire. They kinda rushed into that project and it backfired on them, instead of being patient and having the next Kumba. When they do finally add another coaster, more than likely its gonna be a big hit, but thats part of their theory: "if we keep giving them filet mignon every day, its not anything special, but if you're used to spagetti-o's and we give you steak only so often, you'll come running to the dinner table."

I guess I'm still hungry.

BGW isn't desperate for anything

I agree - the only thing they are missing is a direct link high speed train from my house.

I wouldn't get my hopes up over an Intamin, yet alone an accelerator. Busch seems to love those B&M's, and a launch coaster just doesn't seem right to me.

- Joe, who can't wait to get back to BGW

^^I thought corkscrew hill was really f-ed up...

You should've seen King Artrhur's Challenge, which used to be in that show building. Worst simulator ever! I rather like Corkscrew Hill (but my digestive system doesn't).

^Hmm--actually, I think BGW definitely got the better of the deal when the Wilde Maus was shipped south and DarKastle went up in its place.

BGW isn't desperate for anything. It is a great park that suffers from thrill seekers who need a new rush every year. Busch just built a $25M ride in DarKastle. They are not going to build a cheesy coaster just for the sake of building it (kind of like King's Dominion). BGW isn't about that stuff. It is fine that KD is, that is their niche. BGW doesn't really have a singular focus, but tries to appeal to families, thrillseekers, shoppers, and food connoisseurs. They have maintained their steadiness while other parks have spent themselves into debt and high operational costs but haven't increased attendance. People that are waiting to go to Busch are making a mistake, the park is great as is. If they do add anything next year, it is sure to be another great groundbreaking ride.

Excellent response - A park that charges $50-$60 admission with little discounting and is generally packed does not "need" anything.

^^I thought corkscrew hill was really f-ed up...

You should've seen King Artrhur's Challenge, which used to be in that show building. Worst simulator ever! I rather like Corkscrew Hill (but my digestive system doesn't).

^Hmm--actually, I think BGW definitely got the better of the deal when the Wilde Maus was shipped south and DarKastle went up in its place.

And prior to both of those was Questor, one of the first simulator/film rides. It was not bad, but King Arthur's Challenge was HORRIBLE!

I like Corkscrew Hill, especially since they took the roofs off the old simulator and made the projection that much bigger.

As far as coasters, I love the ones they have, and would rather have 4 or 5 really good coasters than 12 coasters with 6-7 that are clones or forgettable experiences.

whadya think?

What do I think? I think first off, you really need to read the posting rules regarding spelling and grammar. Secondly, I think you need to not tell people how they are supposed to respond. "Don't just write build a woodie", etc. And finally, to answer your question, they should get a Dive Machine at BGW.

--Robb

Alright, I am going to get on my soapbox and pimp for my park again.

Something that many people don't consider when they talk about Busch parks is the amazing conservation and environmental work they do. One of the reasons Busch parks can't affford or don't desire to add more rides is they feel it is important not to take away too much land for rides and they have tons of animals and other items that most amusement parks don't have.

Look at BGW, they have an Eagle's nest just for beginners. How much upkeep does that have? Not to mention the space it takes. That entire section of the park between Ireland and Aquataine is off limits to rides because that is for animals. People complain about prices at SeaWorld. But think about how much it costs to rescue manatees and nurse them back? How much is it to get animals out of animal shelters for Pets Ahoy!? There are costs involved with Busch parks that most other parks wouldn't even think about.

All I am saying, don't judge a book by the cover. Don't rollerskate in a buffalo herd. Don't tug on Superman's cape. Don't.....

Well, you get it. Busch parks are very complicated and they are a great experience.

^One poster at another site (a good site, just to make that clear) wrote a rather long, rambling diatribe about why he couldn't understand BGW's winning so many "most beautiful park" awards. His complaint--it was too full of trees. Yes, too many trees, not enough amusement park cheesiness.

Well, to each his own, I suppose. I'll take (and talk) to BGW's trees, while this guy roasts in the blazing sun at Cedar Point. I've always appreciated the way Busch uses the landscape--now if they could just do something about the smell from the brewery.