TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Intamin Ride Safety

Right now I'm doing a school project on roller coasters. I have to write a full magazine on them. For one of my writings I'm doing the safety of Intamin rides. I just have a few questions and if I could get some quotes.

1. Why do you think most coaster enthusiasts like Intamin type rides?

2. Dose the fact of knowing most of Intamin's safety history ever scare you into not riding, or skipping over that ride?

That's all I can think of right now, and thanks for the info!

ADMIN EDIT: Twister II, you REALLY need to check your spelling, especially if this is for a school project!!! "Magizine is Magazine; dose is does; saftey is safety; Im is I'm; etc, etc, etc...."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take the VW!

But that's for another topic.

1. Intamin have a good reputation for building forceful, exciting and ambitious rides which a lot of enthusiasts rate highly. Like any company, they don't get it right every time. But their history of building recent record breakers and the quality of their products is a strong point.

2. From what I have been privy to, Intamin's recent tragedies have been caused not by mechanical failure, but by human incompetence. Their rides are perfectly safe if used properly.

1. Intamins work seems to vary alot, but in many cases it seems that its the parks that doesnt take care of the rides properly. When Intamin gets it right, they make fantastic rides.

2. If you compare how many people who are killed after falling down the stairs or in car accidents to the number of people who have been killed on Intamin rides, I think its safe to say that theres no reason to be especially afraid on Intamin coasters. Like others have said before me, there have been nothing wrong with the rides that people have been killed on.

Yngve "the only ride I have been afraid on was Volare" Oestbye

I have to write a full magizine on them. For one of my writings Im doing the saftey of Intamin rides. I just have a few questions and if I could get some quotes.

Just make sure you use your spellchecker

Enthusiasts like a coaster if its good, who designed it or manufactured it doesn't matter.

2. Dose the fact of knowing most of Intamin's saftey history ever scare you into not riding, or skipping over that ride?

No, because I'm not obese. My risk factor is practically non-existant. This would be different if I was much heavier.

2. Dose the fact of knowing most of Intamin's saftey history ever scare you into not riding, or skipping over that ride?

The risk factor for an Intamin ride is practically non-existant. If I were on an Intamin ride that crashed and I lived, I would immediatly go buy a lottery ticket. Intamin goes beyond industry standards in terms of safety, but there's just no way to avoid human error.

Here's the thing to keep in mind about Intamin: Their vehicles are not designed to be able to service as many riders as those vehicles designed by other companies.

Many manufacturers try to make their trains accessable for everyone, but Intamin doesn't. If you are heavy, do not make the mistake of thinking that just because you can fit into a B&M "big boy" seat, or can fit into a woodie that features a buzzbar and no seat-divider, that does NOT mean that you will be able to squeeze into Intamin's hyper-style trains, and if you have a physical handicap, such as paraplegia, and can safely ride an Arrow looper, that does NOT mean that you should attempt to balance yourself in a seat that doesn't give you much in the way of all-around support. And if you're really tall, and try to get onto a ride a OTSRs? That's a recipe for a nasty back injury right there.

Pretty much every problem Intamin has had as far as their coasters go is not their fault: it is the fault of, A) people who shouldn't be riding insisting (arguing, fighting, etc.) that they be allowed to ride, and B) the ride-ops who allow them to ride, despite seeing that they should be allowed to. And don't give me any of this "well, I let them know that they're riding at their own risk", that's BS, if you think there's a chance he could *die*, then you do everything you can to GET THEM THE F OFF THE RIDE!!! You're willing to let someone be ejected from a ride cuz you don't want to get into an argument?

*inhale*

Sorry. Anyway, as I was saying, Intamin pushes the limits of speed, height, and force like nobody else in the industry, and many of their trains - specifically their hypers - are built to be relatively aerodynamic, what with the 2-per-row bucket seating and narrow cars; in order to do some of the things they do, they have to discriminate sometimes, but they can't be blamed for riders and operators acting like idiots.

IMO, I don't think there is a safety history issue with Intamin rides. If you look at the "track record" so to speak, you'll see that in almost EVERY example it was either rider fault or ride operator error.

The only problem I think Intamin has is they under estimated how stupid ride ops really can be.

For example, there is no excuse other than ride operator error for that HUGE woman being allowed to ride Perilous Plunge. If I recall correctly, the final report did mention that she was well over the manufacturer's weight limit, but that was ignored by the park which in turn resulted in a fatality.

Why should Intamin be blamed for that?

If I died in a car accident due to not using my seat belt, as recommended by my car manufacturer, is that Toyota's fault?

--Robb

^ While I can't find it doing a google search at the moment, I thought I remembered reading a report that said the girl on Hydro was either turned around backwards or doing something other than sitting upright. I found a report that said "The on-ride photo tells a lot about what happened" but it doesn't elaborate at all.

Anyone else remember this?

--Robb

remember the hydro incident.

According to the BBC and all the uk forums, she was trying to calm down her friend who was freaking out. He was in the row in front, she was leaning/ standing up to try and calm him down.

Now apparently she had taken her jacket off (why when riding a very wet ride) and it got stuck in the locking mechanism of the lap bar, so when the boat went almost vertical over the drop the lap bar popped open as it did not lock and as she was already leaning over she flew out.

Really bizzare and unfortunate sequence of events. I think the guy freaking out was mentally handicapped, ride ops could of/should of seen the jacket getting entagled with the locking mechanisms. Not nice, but not sure if Intamin is to blame??

^ I think it really has more to do with the fact that no other parks have needed them. I can't think of the last time a park built a splashdown boat, Intamin super-flume or a normal one!

On another note. It really frustrates me that parks do allow mentally handicapped people on such extreme thrill rides. How many incidents have now happened due to such an issue?

I can think of at least a half dozen off hand where the fatality was a handicapped person. IMO, these people just should not be riding. There are so many incidents where if you look at what happened, you can easily determine that the incident would be most likely NOT happened if the person wasn't handicapped.

Thoughts?

--Robb

^ agreed, but people don't want to be the one to tell the handicapped person, "I'm sorry you can't ride."

But I agree it would be much better to say that then telling that person's parents, "i'm sorry your son/daughter died."

My view on the Intamin issues is that Intamin has a certain degree of responsability....

There are design flaws that allow mistakes to happen, the rides should be fool proof, but they are not.

A few things....

- The train can be dispatched with the lap bars up.

Compare this with the B&M lap bar where it *has* to come down so far before it registers on the ride system. We have all seen photos and even videos with the lap bars on Intamin rides that are too high. The ride system shouldn't allow it, but it does.

Now many rides such as classic Schwarzkopf rides allow the train to be dispatched with the restraints up, so whats the difference?

The fact that Intamin rides are pushing the boundries. The negative G's on these coasters are insane, no schwarzkopf ride compares (that i've ridden to date) in this department. Also, these (schwarzkopf) restraints could fail and you would probably stay in your seat due to the forces the loops pull.

- Seatsbelts

Not connected to the lap bar. If the lap bar did the "impossible" and fail, its going to fully open. Again, going back to OTSR type rides, on B&M's and other Intamins, this seatbelt connecting the seat to the restraint is going to save your bacon.

The rider can loosen the seatbelt. Granted, it shouldn't matter as the restraint is there to keep you in, but as above.... if you can dispatch the train with the restraints up and the seatbelt doesn't connect to the lapbar, and the rider can loosen the seatbelt.... its a pretty bad.

PTC have the same issues, and they too have had accidents.

I really don't buy the story that Intamin are not to blame, as I think, to a certain degree, they are.

Well Shockwave at SFOT has massive airtime and no deaths. No seatbelts connecting lapbars, but there are seatbelts.

If the park obeys the manufacturers specs and ensure the bar is down and the seatbelts are connected, then it's ok. Granted there are SOME flaws, but I blame poor training and the pure lack of common sense by the human race.

I feel completely safe on INTAMIN's as well as PTC trains, who have never had a issue due to design flaw .. as the HW issue was the fact the idiot unbuckled the safety belt.

On another note. It really frustrates me that parks do allow mentally handicapped people on such extreme thrill rides. How many incidents have now happened due to such an issue?

I can think of at least a half dozen off hand where the fatality was a handicapped person. IMO, these people just should not be riding. There are so many incidents where if you look at what happened, you can easily determine that the incident would be most likely NOT happened if the person wasn't handicapped.

Thoughts?

--Robb

Didn't a prosthetic leg fall off a guy at Dueling Dragons?

Intamin is known for breaking speed and height records. 'Nuff Said

2. Does the fact of knowing most of Intamin's safety history ever scare you into not riding, or skipping over that ride?

Not really. Intamin only crashes due to the stupidity of ride operators!

Can't wait to answer more questions!

CoasterPeep7

Re: PTC there was a death at Port Aventuras Stampida where the rider, due to airtime, fell out... Again, his restraint was too high... but he did not stand up. (Back to my original point, I believe that when a restraint is considered "down", it should not allow anyone to leave the train. Intamin and PTC trains you can easily get out of the train on their highest position.)

...the trains have since been modified with higher seat dividers and they now staple riders. Also, the ride ops don't allow anyone to ride if the lap bar cannot come down past 2 clicks of the restraint aswell as trims down the first drop.

Why do I like Intamin rides? Because they have built some of the most enjoyable coasters that I have ridden. Goliath, Expedition GeForce, Millennium Force, Balder and Xcellerator to name just a few. A lot of their coasters are great just to look at and watch as well as ride.

Would I be scared or feel worried when riding an Intamin ride. Never in a million years because I am firmly of the view that the accidents involving these rides are down to human error. I would feel more worried when crossing the road than riding a coaster built by Intamin.