TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

Not only is Emperor progressing extremely quickly, but the park has submitted plans to the city for yet ANOTHER coaster.

The proposed coaster looks to be an Intamin family launch coaster similar to Wave Breaker (or Jet Rescue in Aus). It would take over the space the Wild Arctic simulators take up and use the employee lot/storage area to the East. The ride would be 30ft tall (under the CA Coastal Commission limit) and travel 42mph. The Wild Arctic animal exhibit would remain.

We are already just one piece away from being topped off. It's very steep and simply massive for this park!

I'll be heading down to SD once school gets out in a bit. I'm excited to see the progress on this thing! Not sure if I'll make it to the park this time around or not (I'd like to go and try Tidal Twister if I can), but I'll definitely be going when Emperor opens up!

It's interesting to me, though, how much perspective affects ride experience. When a ride is big for the park it's in, it tends to be a lot more fun simply by being the biggest thing around. That's what I felt when I rode Hangtime, which is a ride that would be considered boring or bad at a park like Cedar Point but easily makes it into my top 3 at Knott's. Emperor is going to be an amazing hit for this park!

• 2 weeks later...

Wild Arctic in San Diego seemed to be on its last legs a few years ago when I visited the park... I can only imagine how it is running now (especially seeing how it runs here in Orlando). It seems like an incredibly wise decision to maintain the animal habitats and use the raw simulator bay space for something new and more thrilling like a coaster. Four major new coasters in the span of nine years is not too shabby (five if you count Tidal Twister, though I'd argue that it is a flat ride)...

Edited by jedimaster1227

Wild Arctic in San Diego seemed to be on its last legs a few years ago when I visited the park... I can only imagine how it is running now (especially seeing how it runs here in Orlando). It seems like an incredibly wise decision to maintain the animal habitats and use the raw simulator bay space for something new and more thrilling like a coaster. Four major new coasters in the span of nine years is not too shabby (five if you count Tidal Twister, though I'd argue that it is a flat ride)...

The strategy they should have enacted right after blackfish. Build lots of rides and move animals to the background (while still doing all the good work they do for animals).

The strategy they should have enacted right after blackfish. Build lots of rides and move animals to the background (while still doing all the good work they do for animals).

Agreed. But it definitely seems like the approach has worked for the SeaWorld parks over the last few years... I'm hoping that between Emperor, Ice Breaker, Iron Gwazi, Texas Stingray, the smaller projects across the parks and the investments already announced for 2021 (Wild Arctic San Diego replacement and Sesame Place San Diego) that these parks will continue to see positive results.

I'm still pretty bitter about John Reilly being passed over for the CEO post. Under his direction, the investment model for the parks really seemed to be amplified between rides, shows and events. I'm still incredibly concerned that this board under Scott Ross is going to drive these parks back into the ground.