TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

But Keeping the Tornado slide and the body slides do seem to kind of go against the demographic just a little bit. And I cant imagine this park attracting teens and young adults anymore like Aquatica does.

Eh, I wouldn't look too far into that, those slides are only 48" so a lot of kinds under the age of 10 can and will go on those especially the tornado slide, they'll fit the demographic just fine.

Agreed - my 5 yo loves any slide he can get on.

Notably Sesame Street was the most memorable part of his visit to SWO earlier this year - he still talks about the parade.

I'm still kinda shocked about this, mainly because I hadn't even comprehended that they had a water park out there in the first place!

I didn't expect this, but I always wondered why Seas did not try to expand the Sesame Street name with small stand alone Sesame Place parks. The original is always packed and takes up such a small footprint.

Edited by larrygator

I think, if this is successful, that Aquatica > Sesame Place San Antonio could be the next move. Texas has a large and growing population of families and it would be unique to the region and there are no IP based children's parks there where as Florida and Cali have Legoland, Disney etc. Also central Texas already has enough dedicated water parks with Schlitterbahn and Fiesta Teexas's waterparks not to mention others in Dallas and Houston too. I think if they are looking to print the money that is the next move.

I think, if this is successful, that Aquatica > Sesame Place San Antonio could be the next move. Texas has a large and growing population of families and it would be unique to the region and there are no IP based children's parks there where as Florida and Cali have Legoland, Disney etc. Also central Texas already has enough dedicated water parks with Schlitterbahn and Fiesta Teexas's waterparks not to mention others in Dallas and Houston too. I think if they are looking to print the money that is the next move.

I'm not so sure that would happen, given that in San Antonio, the two parks are side by side, while the Aquatica in San Diego is about twenty miles from their SeaWorld. But it's a possibility.

Sesame Place in Pennsylvania is park that seems to print money that people will travel for hours to get to because of their strong IP and the park itself is probably no bigger than your average strip mall. It seems like a goldmine and I don't know why they haven't put these everywhere.

I mean it really is genius. Every kid wants to go see elmo and big bird. And the fact that they can charge the same price as full scale theme parks when this entire park conversion is probably going to cost about the same as Mako at SWSD is kind of genius.

https://www.sesameworkshop.org/press-room/press-releases/seaworld-entertainment-and-sesame-workshop-announce-expanded-partnership

Sea World had to have a new Sesame Place theme park by mid-2021 so they picked the classically underperforming and landlocked water park in San Diego that probably should have been shuttered years ago. Makes sense on a lot of levels. I think they'll have some serious challenges though because that puts them in direct competition with Legoland for the same patrons in the same area. Still their best overall option vs. a ground up mini theme park in Williamsburg in part of the current parking lot (which plans for leaked on a year or so ago) given how other attempts at that like Ferrari Land went.

From what I hear Dallas was more of an indoor park and faced some competition. Indoor parks/entertainment centers don't have a great track record in this industry. (Six Flags Power Plant, Six Flags Autoworld, Disneyquest etc.)

I think they'll have some serious challenges though because that puts them in direct competition with Legoland for the same patrons in the same area.

I was considering that too, but keep in mind that San Diego County has 3+ million residents and Legoland and Sesame Place are ~1 hour apart (without traffic). Hopefully both can successfully co-exist because I doubt at this scale Sesame Place can fully compete with the family-resort offerings that Legoland currently has (2 hotels, small waterpark, aquarium, and full theme park).

I’m really surprised by this announcement. A couple of summers ago we had season passes to Aquatica and enjoyed it. I was always hoping for more additions but they never came (besides taumata racers). As far as being landlocked they do have a couple of decent size parcels that are undeveloped. I attached a photo for reference. It will be interesting to see where this park goes as it grows and hopefully expands. Here’s hoping for oscars wacky taxi!

E1721C82-3368-4F65-B753-725A9BCC6C62.thumb.jpeg.e525cdcfcc28e63c7f9d880550443c13.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Surprised we aren't talking about Emperor more. The animation looks exciting. It also shows vest restraints, so take from that what you will. This ride looks extremely similar to Valkyria. It's a slightly different layout, but the overall size, scale, and model of Dive Coaster is very comparable.

First B&M in California in 14 years! I'm excited. The entire brake run and pre-lift track is also in place already.

Surprised we aren't talking about Emperor more. The animation looks exciting. It also shows vest restraints, so take from that what you will. This ride looks extremely similar to Valkyria. It's a slightly different layout, but the overall size, scale, and model of Dive Coaster is very comparable.

First B&M in California in 14 years! I'm excited. The entire brake run and pre-lift track is also in place already.

It's sad that this thread is so dead. Mods haven't even posted the announcement yet.

Love the not-Mako theme though! Should be awesome! Seaworld always keeps it classy with their rides!

I'm mostly just excited to see SWSD expand with more coasters. I grew up in SoCal, always going to Knott's and Six Flags. We always ignored SeaWorld because we're coaster people more than animal people. They built Manta, which was cool. Then we stopped caring again. Then Electric Eel came, and now their biggest coaster yet with Emperor. I can't wait to go back this summer.

I get why the thread is dead. I'm just more excited than most because SeaWorld is not far at all from my family's home in SoCal and it makes me happy to have a brand new, unique-to-the-area B&M so close to home. With all the new 2020 hotness, I can see why Emperor is flying under the radar.

• 2 weeks later...