TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

I don't think they would make an announcement if they werent confident it will be approved.

While in rare circumstances stuff happens after the fact, large development projects (including theme park rides) usually involve a lot of "back channel" work before being presented to the public. I would guess Sea World has been working with all the agencies to have everything ready for full approval prior to the actual hearings.

I hope it all goes smoothly, but SeaWorld San Diego is not the park to use as an example...

SeaWorld unveils Blue World Project

Blue World Project Canceled

Looking at the launch concept art it does look like this will have the same restraints as Tempesto. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm not the biggest fan of FullThrottles knee restraints. How do the two compare?

Premier restraints are awful either way if you have any semblance of long legs. But I suppose they're less awful without OTSRs bashing your head/neck.

Perfect choice, rode Phobia at Lake Compounce last year and it was a really fun ride!

Not bagging on the experience, but the capacity on these things are terrible. Sea World San Diego gets a high volume of visitors. I feel like they could have done better.

I was at SFDK and we never bothered to ride theirs because the line was well over an hour, compared to the 30 minute line the Joker had.

Not bagging on the experience, but the capacity on these things are terrible. Sea World San Diego gets a high volume of visitors. I feel like they could have done better.

Maybe we will get lucky, and it will have the dual loading stations. That would help with capacity.

Granted, I don't have access to their stats, but does Sea World really get "a high volume of visitors"? Sure, it can get crowded in relative terms, but nothing like Disney crowds.

And even if they did, they are primarily a family park. So only a small percentage of their visitors would want to ride this.

For those reasons above, plus added expense, I wouldn't count on a dual loading platform. I suppose you never know, and it'd be a very pleasant surprise, but it doesn't really make economic or practical sense to me--just wishful thinking from fan boys (the same ones who were earlier insisting that were trying to insist in the high probability of this ride being something else that fits the stats--wishful thinking).

Yes, the lines will go slow because of the nature of the ride, and it likely will get somewhat lengthy, but at the same time, I think the lines for it will be much shorter than it is at other parks where it's installed because they are already geared towards being thrill parks. This isn't. It'll be interesting to see how long the line does get, compared to the other installations, but I'm going to gamble they'll be shorter.

Perfect choice, rode Phobia at Lake Compounce last year and it was a really fun ride!

I was at SFDK and we never bothered to ride theirs because the line was well over an hour, compared to the 30 minute line the Joker had.

They get around the same amount as busch gardens in VA. It shouldn't be that bad.

^I have seen the park get some insane crowds during the time of Winter Break, but this is usually the absolute worst time for SoCal parks. Typically, you can expect an hour wait on Manta with 4 trains running. And Manta usually loads and dispatches in under 60 seconds.

But on the other hand, everyone always talks about capacity issues when one of these gets announced, and they are rarely as bad as people think. SFDK, my own home park, has one of these. I would say that the capacity on this thing was totally fine, before Six Flags put on those seatbelts. (But even now, the wait is still usually not too much worse than the other major rides). I have also heard that Busch is doing a pretty good job operating theirs.

My ultimate hope for this thing is to have a double circuit, double station, three car trains, and no shoulder pads. I highly doubt we will get all of these, but I can hope.

Maybe we will get lucky, and it will have the dual loading stations. That would help with capacity.

Tempesto at BGW got a 3 car train that increased the capacity 50% (18 vs 12) over Superman at SFDK. I would love to see SWSD get both the dual loading station and 3 car trains, but I hope they get at least one. SWSD had over 3.5 million visitors in 2015, so it does draw a pretty good crowd. Without the larger cars or dual loading station, you can probably count on at least 45-60 minute waits during busy days.

As much as I'm pissed off at Blackfish for scoring an undeserved victory by forcing SeaWorld to abandon the Killer Whale shows, I remember when I used to work at SeaWorld, senior management took pride in being a family friendly alternative to Knotts and Six Flags. Now SeaWorld has to adapt to current circumstances by making more coasters and thrill rides so from an enthusiast perspective this is a great development, it just sucks it had to take an animal rights propaganda film to force this kind of direction...

Even though it's just a clone, it's way better than a Boomerang or a Batman clone IMO so I can't wait til this thing opens!

^I actually think that a Batman clone is a better ride than an SRII. Batman has better pacing, and feels like a more "complete" ride (even if the duration from the lift to the brakes is around the same as the ride time on an SRII.

While an SRII is a good addition, I wonder if this will open the possibility for some even better additions in the future. This is to show that SWSD wants to focus more on rides, so maybe one day we could see the next (Florida) Manta, or the next Mako, or the next Kraken. There is a possibility that this could be the gateway to a promising future.

I prefer Batman to a Sky Rocket II for the reasons you said (more complete ride, better pacing, more forceful), but I love both styles a lot and would welcome them at any park.

But from a park's perspective, Sky Rocket II is more compact and just as easy, if not easier to market, as an exciting attraction.

• 1 month later...

It makes sense they're getting a SRII. Like you said, it's more compact and can be more family-oriented while also being mildly intense. Besides, Batman clones (of which I have ridden none - ) are, from what I've heard, fairly intense and not for the family. SWSD is focusing on being a family park, with family rides and attractions. Not too thrilling, but tame is okay. Batman clones don't fit this perspective.

Looks like SWSD is getting the same 3 car trains that Tempesto uses, which is great news! I think these SRII models are a lot of fun and it's going to be a great addition to the park.

While an SRII is a good addition, I wonder if this will open the possibility for some even better additions in the future. This is to show that SWSD wants to focus more on rides, so maybe one day we could see the next (Florida) Manta, or the next Mako, or the next Kraken. There is a possibility that this could be the gateway to a promising future.

While I'm not sure we'll see coasters on that scale, with the Orcas now having to take a back seat to promote the park, I think a more ride oriented approach will be important to the long term strategy and success of the park. I could only hope that means some innovated dark rides and maybe the addition of a few marquee coasters could be on the horizon with SD.

• 5 weeks later...

Sea World recently announced a great deal on tickets and passes if you buy online. Plus, the return of their food and beer festival for the Spring!

SAN DIEGO (March 28, 2017) — The time is now to visit SeaWorld ® San Diego as the marine park unveils two new admission tickets offering tremendous value for guests. For a limited time only, a single-day ticket for weekday admission is now available for only $55, a savings of nearly $40. Complementing the weekday

ticket is a new any-day ticket offer at just $69, providing guests nearly $25 in savings. These extraordinary offers let visitors make the most of spring at SeaWorld where they can enjoy all the park has to offer including the one-of- a-kind All Day Orca Play. For the next seven weeks, All Day Orca Play is providing a non-stop series of events and programs showcasing the park’s beloved killer whales during regular park hours. In addition to these great new offers, the SeaWorld Fun Card provides unlimited visits to the park for less than the cost of single-day admission which is perfect for this summer’s debut of the all-new Ocean Explorer, Orca Encounter and Electric Ocean™ nighttime extravaganza. With a Fun Card in hand, visitors can also tap into their inner foodie during SeaWorld Seven Seas Craft Beer & Food Festival, weekends in April,plus come back again and again to enjoy the park’s popular Halloween and Christmas seasonal events.

The $55 ticket is valid for weekday visits only through June 16, 2017

The $69 ticket can is valid for a visit any day through June 11, 2017

The $87 Fun Card is valid for unlimited visits in 2017

Offers are only available through advance purchase at www.SeaWorldSanDiego.com or call (619) 222-4SEA.

• 2 weeks later...
It makes sense they're getting a SRII. Like you said, it's more compact and can be more family-oriented while also being mildly intense.

I want to know what world a SRII is family oriented....with a 54" height requirement...js

EEheight.JPG.cce943761fbf84a4928dc8eac60ef6f2.JPG