TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

• 1 month later...

I live within a mile of the park and received this notice in the mail today. I thought you all would find this very interesting. Phrases of note if you're not reading the whole thing: "SeaWorld 2018 attraction", "new roller coaster ride", "aquarium building", "remove existing shade structure"

Joel Manby apparently said that 2017 is for children, but 2018 will be for "for teenagers with more of a thrill factor"

I plan on attending the hearing to find more information, whenever that may be!!

IMG_8346.thumb.JPG.e0949fbea1d4325fb1bf6cb1fc4b2df9.JPG

Sounds interesting, I wonder if they're going to try and get the 30 foot height restriction removed for this project. I'm really hoping they do, although getting anything approved in San Diego is like pulling teeth!!! I really am intrigued to see what this ends up being!!!!

There actually isn't a height restriction (look at JTA, Sky Tower). Manta was built under 30 ft in order to not have to go to the coastal commission. Hopefully this application means that they are planning on going over 30ft. We will see!

On some video on Youtube of all of the SeaWorld ride people, they were teasing at a very big attraction for 2018 in San Diego so this wouldn't surprise me. The audience was also primarily consistent of coaster enthusiasts so it would make sense that they said they would excited. What interests me the most is the "aquarium building." It's good to see that SeaWorld is still somewhat focused on animals in light of the news we've received this year.

I no longer stand with SeaWorld with all of the bending over backwards to appease crazed idiots like PETA and giving up on Orcas, and massive layoffs etc etc They'd have to build something like Mako West before I'd ever go back to SWSD . I also wish it was easy for them to just pack up and move to a different location away from the idiots of San diego what ever SW is proposing to build watch the idiots of SD protest it and vote to block it from happening

On some video on Youtube of all of the SeaWorld ride people, they were teasing at a very big attraction for 2018 in San Diego so this wouldn't surprise me. The audience was also primarily consistent of coaster enthusiasts so it would make sense that they said they would excited. What interests me the most is the "aquarium building." It's good to see that SeaWorld is still somewhat focused on animals in light of the news we've received this year.

Can you link to that video?

I no longer stand with SeaWorld with all of the bending over backwards to appease crazed idiots like PETA and giving up on Orcas, and massive layoffs etc etc They'd have to build something like Mako West before I'd ever go back to SWSD . I also wish it was easy for them to just pack up and move to a different location away from the idiots of San diego what ever SW is proposing to build watch the idiots of SD protest it and vote to block it from happening

320 jobs across 11 parks really isn't that many...

They're doing what they need to do to survive. This includes the budget cutting, layoffs and bending over backwards for PETA. It's unfortunate but it's the reality of the situation. Throughout all of this they've maintained their commitment to conservation and animal rescue. Using that as a reason not to support Sea World is completely ridiculous.

Can you link to that video?

^ Thank you, it seems they definitely have a substantial roller coaster planned! I'd kill to work on that development team! They keep talking about how strong of a relationship they have with B&M. Although SeaWorld/Busch have used B&M, Intamin, Premier, Mack, Zierer, and GCI in the past 5 years, so it's anybody's guess at this point.

I definitely think SWSD is due for an attraction geared towards teens/thrill seekers. I'd be happy with any large coaster this chain has built in recent times. (just please not a Tempesto-clone - Please god anything but that!)

Also, I emailed the Community Planning Group listed on the notice and got a response from Darlene Walter (SWSD's VP of Engineering):

The community forums will be held on:

In addition to a presentation at the Mission Bay Park Committee on January 3, at 6:00PM at the Santa Clara Recreation Center, there will also be community forums on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 at 9 a.m. or Monday, Jan. 9, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. at the SeaWorld Adventure Camp.

I hope you can attend at that time to hear the details on the attraction.

I'll definitely go to the community presentation in two weeks to hopefully report some new info! I'll try not to get my hopes up for a B&M in my backyard in the meantime...

Sea World is in no way bending over backwards for peta, that would involve releasing all the animals into the wild and going out of business as they are against all zoo's and any kind of animal captivity whatsoever (including pets). Peta isn't really Sea Worlds problem as most people don't take that organization seriously, it was that movie that turned public opinion against whale captivity.

Its stupid to boycott Sea World for ending orca breeding and phasing out the shows because it's now illegal (at least in California). Sea World is struggling financially as it is, it's best that they move on and try to do something else because they would go bankrupt trying to fight the government for years and years. If anything you should be going there and spending money to support animal rescue/rehabilitation, educating, and protecting endangered species, instead of crossing your arms and huffing expecting them to do something that is illegal.

I really hope this project goes forward.

I'm optimistic, but cautiously optimistic because the San Diego city government can be notoriously difficult to work with when it comes to any kind of new construction. We saw this when they wanted to add Journey To Atlantis to the park when some city council members (along with the California Coastal Commission) try their very best to stop the ride from being built. I've never felt that the San Diego government appreciates how important SeaWorld is to the local tourism economy.

I emailed the city project manager for more information and received this in response.

The specs line up perfectly with a Premier Sky Rocket II (Tempesto) - "150 feet", "compact roller coaster", "inversions". Tempesto's ride footprint IS smaller than "two acres" in layout (0.3 acres, according to Premier's website), but with all the other buildings, aquarium, etc, It could make sense.

Being a selfish enthusiast who doesn't love Sky Rocket II's, I kinda hope I'm wrong about this. But even so, a 150ft, 65mph, inverting coaster for a park like SeaWorld San Diego is only a great thing!

I'll be sure to get any more info at the public hearing on Jan 3rd.

SWSD2018.thumb.png.3d07a8b2ccd24909570fc303cfbd7135.png

Edited by chickenbowl

They're doing what they need to do to survive. This includes the budget cutting, layoffs and bending over backwards for PETA. It's unfortunate but it's the reality of the situation. Throughout all of this they've maintained their commitment to conservation and animal rescue. Using that as a reason not to support Sea World is completely ridiculous.

No what's ridiculous is you thinking I care at all about what you think is ridiculous like seriously go Tamar Fellner yourself and if you don't know who she is ask Holiday World

Also 320 people over 11 parks isn't that many... umm go ask those 320 people who have lost jobs right before the holidays how they feel about your opinion and I don't think the response will be very nice

A Premier Sky rocket II well the slight dream I had of something awesome coming to the park has crashed and burned smdh

While I'm not a big fan of the SkyRocket II, it would be unique to Southern California. Also it is certainly better than not getting a new coaster.

Agreed. Adding a coaster of this magnitude is pretty impressive for this traditionally family-centric park - I can't complain about a new coaster in my backyard!

Although, I do hope that they realize some of the potential capacity issues and opt for the dual-loading platform like the Zombie ride in Mexico. Follow up: How has capacity been for Tempesto - Are lines longer than other coasters?

What about one of those inverting Chance Hyper GTX models? They are relatively compact and
But that's wishful thinking. I guess we may have to settle with a Sky Rocket II, which is by no means a bad ride.

I don't know, maybe? That layout definitely isn't 150 ft though.

I don't know, maybe? That layout definitely isn't 150 ft though.

Again, that was just wishful thinking. They'll probably change up the layout. As far as non-skyrocket IIs... a B&M Invert? Flyer? Wing? Dive? SeaWorld works with like every Manufacturer so maybe we'll see a Zierer like Impulse @ Knoebels.

Edit: They said compact so maybe something like Impulse isn't totally out of the question. But I still think an inverting Hyper GTX best fits the description of a new inverting compact coaster around 150 feet. I don't see a Zierer breaking 120 feet, let alone 150.