TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

^ Manta is a phenomenal coaster, better than most of the coasters at Magic Mountain, imho. It's not huge but it's a decent length and has plenty of punch packed in. I think the main culprit toward them getting anything big, height-wise, is San Diego height restrictions. It's kinda crazy as it states anything west of I-5 cannot exceed 30 feet in height unless voted upon by San Diego citizens.

• 1 month later...

I'd say that *IF* they wanted another coaster, you'd see something megalite in size at best thanks to the already mentioned height restrictions. San Diego takes it's coastal sightlines very seriously. Which also makes the discussion of an on-site hotel interesting as well...they will likely have to battle if they opt for a large tower to save space.

I'd love it if SWSD could get something along the lines of Mako from SWO! It looks awesome!

Not gonna happen. San Diego is insane with their height restrictions.

I know...that's why I'm not getting my hopes up! But it's nice to dream!

I'd say that *IF* they wanted another coaster, you'd see something megalite in size at best thanks to the already mentioned height restrictions. San Diego takes it's coastal sightlines very seriously. Which also makes the discussion of an on-site hotel interesting as well...they will likely have to battle if they opt for a large tower to save space.

You know, I hadn't even considered that might be an issue! That will be interesting for sure.

When Manta opened at the park, I was able to attend the media event for the ride. While there, I was able to ask about their decision to not go above the height limit of 30 feet above ground. And they basically responded with: We can do what ever we want, we just have to apply for a permit that allows for something over 30ft. Its not hard, but the taller it is, and the closer to the water it is, the more convincing it takes. This is paraphrased and NOT a quote from the people I spoke to.

So, like joey said, a Mega Lite is much more likely then something like Mako. Also, the farther away from the water it is, the odd are more favorable.

When Manta opened at the park, I was able to attend the media event for the ride. While there, I was able to ask about their decision to not go above the height limit of 30 feet above ground. And they basically responded with: We can do what ever we want, we just have to apply for a permit that allows for something over 30ft. Its not hard, but the taller it is, and the closer to the water it is, the more convincing it takes. This is paraphrased and NOT a quote from the people I spoke to.

So, like joey said, a Mega Lite is much more likely then something like Mako. Also, the farther away from the water it is, the odd are more favorable.

This is probably why the 95 foot tall Journey to Atlantis is a far from the water you can get without being in the parking lot. SkyTower is 320 feet but was probably built before the coastal commission rules.

The height restrictions in place have nothing to do with the coastal commission. It was a voter approved San Diego city initiative from the 70's that limits all development west of I-5 in San Diego. There are lots of ways around it that people take advantage of, but the restriction itself wasn't a Coastal Commission directive.

However, the Coastal Commission does still control development on the coast. SeaWorld negotiated it's lease years later to include a slight exemption to that which made it so no more than 25% of the structures in the park could exceed the 30ft height limit and the majority should be no taller than 60ft. They also have to keep 75% of park featuring educational items. The Coastal Commission had to approve that lease since it involved building stuff on the coast and they made the city of San Diego improve the parks in Mission Bay as part of that.

As Chris mentioned, since these terms are pretty vague...they can essentially do what they want with some haggling with the City & Coastal Commission to make sure it complies with that lease.

In other words: it's still a convoluted mess for Sea World to build anything, but they can. So give us a MegaLite damnit!

Edited by Jew

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't necessarily have to be 30ft. See my previous post. 25% of the park can exceed 30ft and should stay below 60ft, but it would be up to the coastal commission to make the final decision.

With a height restriction of only 30 feet makes you wonder what kind of ride can they build with a "thrill factor" that's not a launch coaster! Any thoughts??

Crazy Couch.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend TPR was invited to check out Sea World's "Seven Seas Food Festival," and I have to say it was great for a newer event. The food was delicious, but expect smaller portions than you are used to if your only previous theme park food festival experience was EPCOT. But did I mention the food was delicious? And being in San Diego, they had a great selection of beer too!

Seeing as the name is "Seven Seas Food Festival," there were 7 distinct areas represented: California, France, Polynesia, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Latin America, and Asia. I sampled and took pictures of what I could and was not disappointed!

File_000-2.thumb.jpeg.a385c5273a9a43e5b349c31ba78c6423.jpeg

Other highlights included Jamaican Baby Back Ribs from the Caribbean

File_000.thumb.jpeg.c88d51a9693faf0e2a021297e6bf286f.jpeg

The three areas with entertainment also had multiple food options (pictured is California)

File_001-2.thumb.jpeg.0be787e46595c708e30460138abe9fd8.jpeg

Obligatory coaster photo...Manta is still a really fun ride!

File_001.thumb.jpeg.e42935fbe41dd35876bf52ce447fc7ae.jpeg

California, France, and Polynesia had entertainment options in addition to their delicious food!

File_002-2.thumb.jpeg.736ca49ef72ed96b2acb9b9287d98c64.jpeg

Thankfully, whale was not on the menu, so here's an obligatory Shamu photo to close..we caught them during a Dine with Shamu experience in the back tank, which allowed for some up close views even if you didn't have dinner there!

File_002.thumb.jpeg.a2def4db85c4a5b92aa9d1dc1f916fab.jpeg

California also had this delicious chicken sausage!

File_003-2.thumb.jpeg.18e290b3254c5230cf7be42d0ff0a3d8.jpeg

The Taiwanese popcorn chicken from the Asian station was so delicious I ate it before I remembered to take a picture!

File_003.thumb.jpeg.fbc805c6fbe60b3330db852fb7aad6c7.jpeg

...And delicious beer! Each weekend a new local brewery takes over!

File_004-2.thumb.jpeg.c20c46e0f5a207b21c547e51f811f5ce.jpeg

No visible construction on the new ride yet

File_004.thumb.jpeg.484e6ed04e710ba7a3966a8c9d599594.jpeg

I think it is important to note this too...Sea World should have made this a focal point of their Blackfish response...

File_005.thumb.jpeg.5b363d116d0b622b0bc20827c0e54281.jpeg

This display is at the entrance of the park to let you know what is going on

File_006.thumb.jpeg.21bbdf243c7e443d101c8861b734fb95.jpeg

For diabetics, France also featured a delicious lamb "lollypop"

File_007-2.thumb.jpeg.667c17467deb052c26b44b91652fcc34.jpeg

The waffle on a stick covered in syrup and bacon was amazing!

File_007.thumb.jpeg.3d9622d15af980221a27f9b23fc44b32.jpeg

France had the most popular stand...not diabetic friendly!

File_008.thumb.jpeg.9ed67e55daefbf8179c6c2340d97a9b9.jpeg

France also featured a rotating local craft beer selection!

File_009.thumb.jpeg.6bd3dd3a8a61699d75d514998934388d.jpeg

The best value is probably this sampler...5 beers and 5 food items! They also sell just food and just wine packages as well.